World of Warcraft Classic

For me with a priest it’s mana management. I can increase DPS with spells but incur more mana drain. So I have two offensive spells I cast, a defensive bubble spell, and then wand things to death. That’s soloing. In dungeons I primarily heal, though I may toss in some wand DPS when I can.

So I do agree that there’s a tactical side in Classic for me when soloing, though it’s more about positioning, how to work my way towards my objective, etc. – aggro ranges are greater and adds much more deadly in Classic. Solo combat itself I use the same rotation over and over, though. I get adds I mix it up a bit more.

Oh, I do have a mana drain spell now so against casting mobs I use that. I do end up using more mana but I like to make the mob run to me and melee me.

Well, for one, mobs now have varying levels. So, you might decide to not pull the level 29 kobold, and pull the level 27 instead. Those levels make a big difference.

Classes have a lot less in health sustain, so this requires the use of more skills to get kills faster.

Resists are more plentiful, crits are more sparse.

As a warrior you are a few parries and misses away from a normal pull turning into a game of survival.

Retails decision to even the level of mobs to you is baffling to me.

Playing through BfA my character was a buzz saw, chain pulling mobs, self healing, using the same 3-4 skills each pull.

In retail, sometimes you have to hamstring kite and bandage, or pop an intimidating shout and run and pray. The difficulty increases the amount you have to rely on being tactical.

Well there is a caveat in that the level of tactical decision making in Classic does vary by class. My Hunter is fairly simple to play, although there are still tactics in pulling, managing pet aggro on multi-pulls, the occasional use of traps, etc. However, for my mage, levelling is a very tactical experience: every pull on a non-green mob can kill you if you are not careful, so pulling, sheeping, timing the use of Frost Nova, etc. are all tactic considerations, as well as mana management, etc.

I still think Wrath was peak/best WoW for me.

I find it annoying but I think it was done so players could go back and do skipped quests instead of outleveling them.

I’ve died numerous times in Classic, and survived by running numerous times. It’s night and day between Classic and Retail. I really have no idea why Blizzard made Retail so easy. I guess they knew as they added levels with each expansion, new players would be reluctant to level from 1 to say 90 at the old leveling speeds. I think there might have been a better way to have expansions, though. Why not skip the levels but somehow work in gear progression and add talents and talent points?

Anyway, I am not interested in playing Classic if Blizzard’s plan is to eventually recreate Retail with it, expansion by expansion. I doubt Blizzard has a firm plan yet.

Hit level 40, with 5 days /played

Here’s an interesting chart of WoW’s viewer numbers on Twitch over time. As far as I’m aware there’s no definitive correlation with actual sales of a game, but even this alone tells a story, IMO.

Couple things:

1. The two big spikes are the launch of BfA and the launch of Classic. Super interesting that the launch of Classic proved far more popular.
  2. The decay in viewers from the peak looks roughly similar.
  3. The Classic spike looks to be leveling off a bit, but it has established a new, higher baseline. Will be interesting to see if it continues to fall or stays around where it is.

There’s no distinction/breakdown between Classic and Retail in that chart unfortunately.

No, but you can surmise some things. Like many of the peaks are when beta testing for Classic were happening. The Feb 2019 spike was the Blizzcon promo beta I think, and then the spike in May/June was the closed Beta.

There has been intense interest in Classic. Hopefully it continues to be popular and provides Blizzard with a way to weather the troughs in between retail expansion releases.

Some of those spikes must have been the world first races.

Shamelessly stolen from Reddit…

That’s a good chart. It seems to me that Classic Expansions is the most clear way forward, but it would split the community every time. Some people will inevitably stay behind. But maybe that’s OK, because some people are also probably waiting for Burning Crusade to jump in.

I’d like to see a Classic Progression Server. It would get each expansion, spaced out six months to a year apart.

That would keep me busy for a while :)

My feeling is they are definitely going to do progression servers, as it gives them another WoW release for off-years. I still don’t think many people will actually keep playing after 3 months, but there’s no denying classic revitalized interest in the game.

I just had two straight very fun stockades runs! (I know I know) – Let’s just keep it simple. There are some hard mechanics in the classic wow. You can over come them. When you do it is freaking great fun.

BFD soon Mark. Get your moonshine or whatever you priests drink ready!

Hell I am just trying to get a group ready for BlackFathom Deeps… these charts are too forward thinking. Can you link me a green dagger?

Hello fellow non-optimal dagger rogue.

I’m going to try the RFDs or whatever daggers. Maybe finish in the name of light monastery quest instead. Did you already get vicious dagger from gnomeregan? Level 27 can do that vicious elemental iirc.

Lol yeah I am using a sub spec because… I am not sure why! (maybe faster stealth?)

I will be hitting Gnomer this weekend. Just green daggers now and the poison quest today. I forgot poison had “charges”!

I just blew almost 5 gold on a booty bay L39 dagger for those couple of points of DPS.

My specs are all over the place, some combat (for dagger speed/attack), some assassination (backstab, combo point generation). I am considering respecing to get the capstones (Crits add combo points)

One thing dagger rogues have is nice burst. Good to take out casters in dungeons because the other stupid DPS never do it. It can be bad in some groups as ambush will steal agro from the tank, and there’s only so many times you can hit feint. It’s ok if the other DPS behave and are attacking the same skull target… 50/50 that the group behaves.

Best dagger list i found so far.

Im a super not ideal prot warrior. took the five points in cruelty cause i needed some crits to speed up levelling but mostly i just one hand white damage things while shield blocking. really safe but slooooow. and i like being so tanky so its worth.