World of Warcraft Classic

You’re soloing 1 handed!? I find I take even more damage when I do so (as a warrior)

I am doing one hand and shield. What makes it so low damage is the point in improved shield block, which I spam on cooldown - it drops the average damage i take from 25ish to about 5, and has two charges per activation. A few normal hits get through, but overall i end up the fight at 80-90% health against same level up to +2 mobs. So it’s slow to kill, but I don’t have to sit and rest or bandage much. Still slower than two handed but I do like being so tough…

Yeah Banzai being tough is better than being squishy – I die so much I am ptsd. (Rogue).

I have a warrior in wanderers and I switched her to prot thinking revenge actually did a nice dps comeback… wrong. 5 g to switch her back… makes me cry.

Leveling as anything but Arms seems like rank madness.

Dungeon tanking is much more threat constrained than toughness constrained, or so it seems to me anyway. I have been mostly 2h tanking lately just to keep my healers awake.

Certain bosses (Aku’mai hits like a freaking truck) and big pulls aside, of course.

I use both 1hd and 2 handed, but my warrior is only 24. Waiting for my priest friend to catch up.

Some stockade group asking for a tank declined my warrior as too low. The quests are yellow at 24. Some people just want to coast and faceroll greens.

Dungeon level ranges are annoyingly wide, especially as a tank - being underleveled compared to the DPS is annoying enough, but threat goes down the shitter against +2 mobs and half the quests will be green by the time it’s not miserable to tank the end boss.

That said, lol Stocks. Cleared that in an on level 4-man, ezpz.

I am not sure any of you were with me in BFD last night (thanks for the invite) but that was just crazy fun. Who would have thought after all these years? But NO daggers!

I was with you!

Red I am not sure who you are in game but man you were great.

Ran gnomer with the wanderers tonight… unlike MOST times it went really well.

I admit it is strange to like a 10 year old mmo. It is more than nostalgia.

There are a few things about the game that help it.

First, the art style with the mildly cartoonish look ages very well. It has never looked bad because the art direction was so good. Some never liked it, and I get it, but for most of us it was charming.

Next, Blizzard did a great job, probably the best in the MMO field before and since, of matching user input to animation. You swing a weapon or cast a spell and there’s a great match on screen that makes it feel more visceral. Other MMOs feel a bit more abstract.

Finally, with Classic they found a nice balance between the overly punishing (in both difficulty and tedium) MMOs that came before and making the game too easy. I’m sure a lot of old-school MMO players will say WoW ruined MMOs, but games like EQ took forever to level and the rewards were so few – I think I was level 7 in EQ when I got my first magic item, and it was a +1 stat item. You lost XP when you died, and could even delevel. It was slow and hard. DAoC was about grinding mobs to level, finding a place to pull and pull over and over at the higher levels.

I really think Blizzard did a great job with Classic WoW, but as they piled on expansion after expansion they focused on the endgame at the cap. The new leveling content was designed to be interesting, but it was not meant to be something that took a lot of time. I think most players could level to the new cap in 30-40 hours. It was all about dungeons, raids, arena, battleground rewards, and reputation rewards more then the journey from the old cap to the new one.

Add “AutoDismount” to a really useful addon I recommend for Classic. Automatically dismounts when you click the flight master, mine/harvest a node etc.

A mount is still but a twinkle in my eye. I’ll be lucky to have 100g when I hit 40.

Oh mine was free.

Does it automatically stand you up when you try to cast a spell? I need dat.

Why are you sitting?

Because I’m a mage. Well, sometimes.

Belloch, gnome warlock

Did you get a free mount because your character is a Warlock or a Paladin? Or because of some special offer?

I /danced on the mailbox for tips. I’m playing a paladin.

I am rankly mad, just look at my dwarven scowl. Its been fun so far, especially now that i have some tank cooldowns as well as shield block. If it stops being fun, i can always respec for a gold.

I do go to great lengths to be sure my weapon and shield are close to my level. It would be pretty unfun otherwise.