World of Warcraft: Legion

I was wondering the same thing. I did wait until my level 98s and 99s reached 100 before opening them and was glad I did as the contents of the chests were scaled. But what about the characters I have who won’t make it to 100 before Legion goes live? I’d hate to get level 66 items when every level I gain before I open the chests means better gear.

If the chests aren’t removed when Legion goes live, will the contents still be scaled? Will my level 110 toon get items appropriate for his level or will the contents be capped for level 100 characters?

Whatever is the case, my low level characters have benefited greatly–the gear they received from the chests they opened was an improvement in the stats and appearance of the old gear it replaced. So I’m happy whatever happens.

the bigger issue with not hitting 100 before the end is you can’t spend your currency

It looks like they have ramped it up to 6 invasions every 2 hours. So all the potential locations from before are now active each cycle. Got my mage up to level 80 last night. Seemed like there were some good groups on last night that would look at the map to see where the bosses were and head off en masse to take them down 1 by 1 instead of people scattering all over. My mage has a bunch of heirlooms, so I havent bothered trying to gear him up with any of the chests so far.

Took my shaman from 72 to 100 in probably 6 hours at the most. I think I’m done. All 11 alts on my server are 100 now.

I fired up my little level 30 Paladin to see how quickly I could level him up. Got 5 levels from my first invasion in Azshara. Then I very slowly rode his ground mount to the flight master in Org and promptly found out that, since I had been leveling using dungeons almost exclusively after hitting 15, that I have almost no flight paths. At that point the whole “moving through the world is freaking slow until level 60” thing hit me and I logged out.

I got my level 10 warlock to level 19 in one invasion. And that’s without any mount to get me to the stage 3 mini bosses. Now that he’s in the 60s, I get a little less than 2 levels per invasion, unless I really push it. But I’m not really pushing it at this point, because it’s so repetitive.

Any class with ranged, no cooldown instants will do extremely well.

For warlocks, taking the talent that makes your corruption permanent is hilarious. I’ve dotted bosses with it and then gone halfway across the map to kill anything I can, then come back ~5 minutes later to still see it going strong.

I’m leveling up very quickly on many characters, but it certainly isn’t fun in the slightest. efficiency wins though I guess…

JFrazer for characters without flying mounts you should log out when phase 4 starts at the latest, which resets the invasions and allows you to continue to get kill experience. You don’t get the experience bonuses or the phase 2 completion-reward chest until the invasion resets.

Ah, that’s great advice. I’m less interested in the boxes and more interested in the grinding exp at this point. Once I hit the 80’s, I will start worrying about boxes.

Cool, glad it helped. Phase 2 is definitely worth completing due to the huge experience from the lieutenants and sub-commander of the invasions, but Phase 3 could be worth it or not depending on how many skull bosses you can make it to on a ground mount. I found the Crossroads to be a pretty good spot, and once you learn the spawn order, you can anticipate where to go.

Just stay away from Fel Reavers. ;)

The comment about ranged / instants attacks is spot on.

Just run around tagging every single thing you see. During stage 3 go with the groups to the different skull (on the map) bosses and then get back for the final attack. A flying mount is key to maximizing the xp.

It gets very repetitive but I was only trying to get my 90 warlock to 100 and geared before the xpac hits so it honestly wasn’t bad. I think I was pulling down about 3/4 of a level each invasion from 95 on. Did 96 to 100 last night.

mage vs warlock for alt utility. portals vs summons, who wins?

If you have two accounts you run on one PC or dual box then mage. (I remember doing that with a Druid in EQ back in the day and it was incredibly helpful.) Otherwise the Warlock summons will probably be more helpful on a daily basis.

Oh, I forgot all about that potion!

Maybe I can get my Monk to 60+ so I can use the boost to 100 thing… then I’ll only lack Shaman, Druid and Mage at 100.

Yea; Melee is losing out on the invasions with all the oneshot kill mobs around. On my casters I just run and tag everything, and even on my DH I just use ranged throwing attack to tag stuff before I leg it out of there.

On my priest, I used an AOE heal to heal everyone, then watch as the XP rolls in :-P

What professions are people going with?

I’ve been reading that after being sidelined in WoD with the availability of herb and mining nodes in your personal Garrison, gathering professions are much more critical in Legion, particularly as they are supposed to be the primary source of Blood of Sargaras. My two “mains” are maxed out on jewelcrafting/engineering (DK) and inscription/alchemy (Monk) so I’m thinking hard particularly about the monk and whether I should switch alchemy to herbalism.

my DH is Leather/Skinner and my Paladin is JC/Miner.

Turns out I cant mail items across factions though :-(

Oh damn i hope not.

I’ve got a 100 dk with 0 professions i played in WoD a ton, a 90 warlock with maxed professions for the time and probably going to boost a fresh priest to 100.

My main is skinning and mining, but I didn’t max them in the short time I played wod. I think I have 3 other 100s now with no professions yet. I haven’t decided what I’m going to do with them. I’m a bit behind on my cooking and fishing too. Good thing thanksgiving is coming up just throw on my chefs hat and max it out real quick.

@Murbella @vyshka

You may be in a nice position in a way in Legion if you are starting from 0 on your professions. Your skill level is not going to matter as much at all, so you will be able to pick up a profession and use it almost immediately at 1 skill.

In blue posts they’ve said skill level will matter only for “efficiency” and for access to profession world quests. I’m not quite sure how “efficiency” ties in since there are three levels to most recipes and gathering skills now.

But anyway if you have no professions, you could do something like take two gathering skills at the beginning of the expansion, farm the shit out of stuff while prices are outrageously high the first month, then switch to a crafting profession down the road. If you switch out of a profession, you will lose access to all pre-legion recipes you may have learned. However, there is a book (I think it was 1000gp on the Beta) that allows you to re-learn all Legion recipes if you drop a profession then pick it up again later.

Also, FWIW I went from 1 to 60 on a mage in 3+ hours doing demon invasions, then boosted to 100 so I’d get 700 skill in my professions and first aid. May be something to consider if you have time this week.