Worms W.M.D. - The Last Worms Game You'll Ever Need?

I am shocked to not see a thread for the latest, upcoming Worms game - Worms W.M.D. (which looks like it could finally be a Worms game better than World Party). It drops awkwardly on the 23rd, along with Deus Ex Mankind Divided, but I pre-ordered it anyway on the absolute blast I had watching these six people play just a massive game (I guess it supports up to eight players, which is 64 worms on the map).

https://youtu.be/KmkD5VBD300

It’s got a fantastic (imo) art style, the graphics and animations are incredible! It seems like it’s going to play well, and the improvements and extra game-play mechanics are neat sounding, from usable vehicle and weapon placements to being able to actually go inside buildings (you can see that in the above screen on the right-hand side). There is a small crafting where crates have materials you can spend on modifying a weapon in one of two ways, where each weapon from the bazooka to the old woman has two such paths.

Looks amazing to me at least, though with DX:MD dropping the same day I won’t probably touch it for a bit. Anyone else interested in this one? Maybe we’ll have to try and get some massive multiplayer games going or something.

Cool!

Any idea if this is likely to support asynch multiplayer?

I’m taking a wait and see approach on this one. Nothing has beaten Armageddon for me.

I know what you mean (though I did really like World Party’s one-armed bandit style random gameplay modifiers, and it played as well as Armageddon imo) but this one looks like it could be really old-school fun.

Oh yeah, I’m liking what I’m seeing, but I’ve waited well over a decade for something to dethrone Armageddon, I can wait a bit more. ;)

As long as it’s possible to configure a Ropes Only mode, it’s a good worms game.

• Unlimited ninja rope
  • Walking / Jumping is not enabled
  • Start with no weapons
  • Turn time is 20-30 seconds tops
  • Crates drop on every turn
  • Need to expertly use the rope to grab crates for weapons, then use those weapons on the same turn

Truth.

Hadn’t heard about this! I find this news tremendously exciting but potentially worrisome…

What makes it potentially worrisome?

It’s in the jpg, Scott! 780 hours. That can’t be healthy for one’s job, marriage, ass, etc.

Odd. Still not seeing the issue.

:P

Don’t make me post a jpg of my ass.

Many apologies, sir, many apologies.

This looks like it could be awesome (all that really matters there is “new Worms game” and “2D”) but if it ain’t 1-on-1, it ain’t Worms. 8 players on one map? Yeesh. Save it for the Super Smash Bros generation.

I just think it’s cool that it’s possible to do. I imagine most of the games I play will be 4 player, personally, since the maps don’t get really large enough accommodate 64 worms - at least not on the console version, which is what I think the guys in the video were playing.

I’m just being a cranky old purist. A mode like that would be a blast with a bunch of friends.

Man, remember party gaming??

No. ::sniff:: No I don’t. ::sob::

Worms is still one of the finest party games I’ve ever played. Hopefully this new one keeps the fire alive. I should try Armageddon over Steam Link…

I have fond memories of the first two worms but haven’t played any of the modern ones. This look really attractive and the price is right. Might check it out.

I played the originals a ton back in the day but never really played the more recent versions. I picked up Revolution with some friends and it just made us want to go back to Shellshock Live.

Honestly, I loved the sound of the things that Revolution brought to the table (environmental hazards/objects, water physics, worm classes, teleporting your worms in at the beginning of rounds (to avoid unfair spawns), visuals I didn’t despise) but the whole thing felt really sluggish and unsatisfying. The water never really did enough, whether it was sliding a worm down a slope to their demise or just straight-up drowning them. The environmental hazards/objects had no weight so if they were tractor beamed on to a worm they would just awkwardly bounce or balance on the worm’s head rather than crush them or do some damage.

I can totally imagine these things working but, much like Matt Berry being used for the narration, they were poorly implemented and not done justice.

Anyway, this one looks promising so here’s hoping Worms gets its spark back.