WTF? Greg kolar CEO of Infinium Labs?

As former former director of Sony Computer Entertainment Europe, can’t he get a job with a gaming company that actually has a future?

I remember Tim Roberts in Summer 2005 proclaiming the “Phantom Console will definately be released by Novemeber 2005”. With the launch of a bajillion on-line service providers with cheap games for any computer/laptop… the X-Box 360 and it’s broadband offerings… they still think they can sell another console into this saturated market?

Since they’re bleeding money like a cut leech - seems press releases should be about bankruptcy proceedings, not their brillaint future.

Greg Kolar’s quote,

“I am delighted to be officially joining the extremely talented international management team to lead Infinium Labs. The Phantom Game Service has an unparalleled legacy of boldness, innovation and great opportunities for the online video games market sector.”

Does he actually expect anyone to read that and not snicker?

Maybe there’s some massive stock benefit for him joining… but when your stock is already darn-near worthless… I mean, it’s barely worth 1 cent per share?

Which brings me to another question… why haven’t they been delisted?

“I am delighted to be officially joining the extremely talented international management team to lead Infinium Labs. The Phantom Game Service has an unparalleled legacy of boldness, innovation and great opportunities for the online video games market sector.”

Actually, I’d say that Duke Nukem Forever parallels the Phantom’s legacy pretty effectively.

The company making Duke has actually made money at one point though…

Yeah, and they have released actual products in the past (albeit the distant, Mesozoic past). But DNF has been vapoware for a lot longer than the Phantom, so that’s a point in their favor.

Yeah but they’re making the lapboard which makes Infinium all nice and cuddly.

[ducking]

— Alan

3DRealms is making other games now and in the recent past than DNF, so I don’t see how they are even remotely the same.

As for this guy, I don’t know, perhaps the people behind IL are like super good at bullshiting people and they have managed to convince him they are onto something.

I thought 3dr just ‘gave advice’ on other games or something in exchange for a bazillion dollars and slapped their names on boxes? Did they make the sidescrolling duke? max payne? are they actually making prey? did they even make shadow warrior? etc…

They’ve been involved in development of games… I don’t think they’ve made one of their own in awhile.

Infinium seems like they could get lucky as the whole digital distribution thing is beginning to build up momentum (or “steam” if you like puns). Also I doubt they’d be still around hiring people like Kolar if they hadn’t made significant changes in their management structure.

Not that I’m cheerleading them but they look like the’re in a better position than they were at this time last year so it’s possible they might surprise everyone.

[/backpedaling]

Agreed. I think the biggest issue they face now is the terrible public perception of their company; if they launch a service similar to GameTap with a good product offering… it may actually be worth looking at. I hope they’ve abandoned the console forever.

The last game they made was Shadow Warrior, which came out eight years ago.

Ok, publishing, better? :)

Do they actually act as a publisher though? I thought they partnered w/ actual publishers. And put their name on the box also. For a bazillion dollars.

Just get that lapboard out.

Leeches bleed money? Cool.

Like always, it is usually better if you just skip the last frame.

where is my “shit, bonerz!” option?

It’s pretty easy to tell that the “punchline” is usually written by Gabe.

I think it is funny.

Oh my that is a burn though.