WTF Royal Family - Harry and Meghan's interview with Oprah

Are you talking about Harry & Meghan? Because I think the US is more racist than England.

Is the mother any kind of authority on how white her kids are going to be? Does she have some sort of I dunno, color picker, where she can choose the pigmentation of the kids while they’re developing inside her?

What I’m asking is, did the Royals allow a cyborg from the future to marry into the Royal Family?

In any case, she’s biracial, the father is pretty white, so the kids are gonna be… who knows, wait and see? Probably good looking in any case.

Yeah I find the question itself rather bizarre as Meghan actually looks pretty “white” to me. If I hadn’t read that she is apparently “black”, I wouldn’t have known it. And since she is so “light skinned”, the question what colour her child might be is even stranger…

But hey, what do I know, I just lived half my life in Africa.

Sample size of one, but I’m mixed race and all my siblings are. I’m fairly light skinned, slightly darker than Meghan.

And that conversation came up every time one of then got pregnant.

And I have 10 nieces and nephews.

And has come up again with my partner, who’s white.

I for one am very curious as to what my children would look like, would they be uberwhite, like my dad, or more like my mother, who is very very dark.

Again, sample size of just one, no excuses or opinion regarding royal family, Meghan etc.

I don’t think you’ll find any one to defend the press here.

They’re fucking sick.

Big difference when it’s literally all in the family, I think. Context is everything.

Somebody with PS skills label the top half “Nobility” and the bottom half “Commoner” for me.

I think I lean on (edit: auto correct called her Nestor) Nesrie’s side here.

Race is a huge part of this story.

It’s not the whole story and I think there are other factors at work, but race is definitely a huge part of how she was treated.

Denying that is a mistake I think.

Indeed it is.

Which is why I’d love to know who said what exactly, to whom and in what context.

Because what we have right now is Meghan saying Harry said someone else said something.

So many links in that chain, so many avenues for miscomprehension.

And therein lies a greater danger, because it could allow far worse, more dangerous racism to flourish because if people come forward they may be told they haven’t got any proof, just like Meghan is coming forward without, as yet, any such proof.

I was in Cyprus with the army when BLM and the statues issue (especially the statues in the UK) came up, and I can tell you for sure there was some racism going on, yet I couldn’t gather enough, overt and concrete evidence to do anything about it.

Instead myself and the other non whites (I’m the lightest in the group fwiw) basically made our own support group.

We’re still in touch and supporting each other.

The racism I encountered was far more subtle, basically withholding support from people, waiting for mistakes to inevitably occur, then punishing the transgressors as much as possible.

The history of Meghan’s coverage is littered with things like this

And let us not forget Harry’s aunt

The interview looks to have caused a massive drop in their popularity in the UK. It would be interesting to see if there is a similar but opposite trajectory for their popularity in the US.

That one stunned me back when it happened. Like, who would even wear a blackmoor broach nowadays?

what’s a racist brooch? Can a brooch really be racist deep inside its broochness.

Growing up in the South, I would see people, usually older but not always, who would express all sorts of bewilderment when someone would point out that their knick-knack, painting, jewelry, sign, or whatever was no longer acceptable. “What? But this picture of a mammy is meant to honor them!”

Helps if your father was a Nazi.

There is an an absolute tone deafness to an older generation which puts them on a very specific side. My mother (78) lives towards the English/Welsh border. There was a tradition of Morris Dancing, Border Morris, there where the dancers ‘blacked up’.She objects to the fact they are moving to not using black face because it’s ‘tradition’

Now I should say that the UK doesn’t have the same tradition of blacking up as the US. Blackface has been more associated with not being indentfied (and was made illegal as result) though there are some traditons where it is used to refer to skin colour for mummer plays though far less.

I could see an older person wearing blackamoor jewelry as just being tonedeaf, and not necessarily intentionally racist. I mean, that brooch is probably crazy expensive, and wasn’t originally crafted with racist intent. It’s possibly one of those things that older generations just don’t really think about in the same way.

Sadly, the British do have a tradition of black face and minstrel shows. The US had exported some terrible things, and that was one of them.

All the way into the 1970s.

As a bit of an aside, South Africa has a particularly unique take on the minstrel show, which continues to this day I believe.