WWDC 2022 - What Will (Apple) Do, Chumps ?

Hmm, freeform = Microsoft white pages?

It’s just another collaborative enhancement, this time to Apple Notes.

Problem with all this stuff is Apple’s walled garden. It works super great if you and everybody you’re collaborating with is inside those walls. Otherwise, nopers.

24GB of max memory on the M2 is a decent improvement. Pretty much the only spec I wouldn’t keep at minimum.

I would. So far only the Air and garbage-tier MBP13 use the M2. Of those two the only one you should actually buy is the Air, and 8GB is plenty of RAM for a light portable high battery life computer. 16GB would be better, but perhaps not at Apple’s upcharge.

IPadOS is getting that new stage manager feature, which obviously sucks. What it needs is support for an arbitrary number of overlapping windows with controls.

Edit: Oh shit, Craig-o just said “overlapping windows”. OK then.

And real second monitor support too. IPadOS is all growns-up. It’s like a tightly-controlled touch-first desktop OS now.

We’ll if iPad OS had an actual file system worth a damn, this new stage manager would make using it more to do serious work possible.

They just posted Pytorch to M1 so having 24GB of potential GPU memory might be pretty interesting for some stuff, since you can’t even get a laptop with a 24GB GPU. Kind of a niche case but a nice benefit of unified memory.

When does ordering for MBA open?

Never change, Chris!

Hehe, I can sell my MBP 14 for almost the entire cost of a new 16 GB RAM 2 TB SSD M2 MBA. And in (I am sure) finger print highlighting midnight black! Almost like an Apple Thinkpad!

I figured it would be midnight blue, which happens to be my favorite color-- thus the “Got the Blues” theme for Qt3.

I think the point of Lock Screen enhancements is to make it useful so you DO use it.

Yeah you are right, it is blue not black. Oh well.

I can’t imagine anything they could add to make me use the lockscreen. I take out my phone and immediately swipe up to unlock it.

Imagine if the things you swipe up to check are available on the lock screen.

They aren’t notifications or widgets, so I can’t imagine how that would work.

I think the Stage Manager and the new Focus stuff might help my, sorry, focus at work. I can keep my VDI screen in front mode, and Webex/Teams/Etc in the side view. Having a focus mode for Work that limits those apps might work.

The text blocking not so much. The texts I do 90% I’d need them to bust through any sort of a block anyway.

The redesigned Air still has the headphone port on the wrong side.

You’re right: Apple didn’t design a new Lock Screen for people who specifically never access glanceable information, like weather or stock tickers or mail or to-do lists. It’s for the vast majority of us who DO access information like that.

I mean, I said I don’t use it. It’s fine if you do, I’m not offended.

Look at the fine print, also, guys-- many of the new iPadOS features require the M1 chip. This includes all the desktop-class multitasking stuff.

I bought $1500 CAD of Apple gift card (to get $150 back) last week without knowing there was a new Apple hardware event.