WWDC 2022 - What Will (Apple) Do, Chumps ?

Yep. Old one marked down to $999.

Stage Manager looks pretty cool.

Solved problem with multiple desktops, unclear why it’s needed.

I don’t know why I would ever use this over multiple desktops like I do now.

I guess I don’t use multiple desktops and hate the swipe to bring up mission control. I literally was thinking yesterday about searching for an app like stage manager to see if it exists.

Of course we are going to get the pointless gaming talk.

Heh, FOTM is upscaling, and Metal is getting it too. But it’s only spatial upscaling like AMD FSR1, which sucks shit. M1/M2 obviously have AI acceleration, but you’ve got to write the software to use it. Really shouldn’t matter because FSR2 is open-source, and XeSS will be too.

Also a DirectStorage analogue, but it doesn’t talk about hardware texture decompression.

“We’ve improved the gaming graphics engine no developers want to port their apps too.”

The Resident Evil shots are noticeably juddery and low FPS-- in a canned demo.

That fact that they’re using No Man’s Sky (6 year old game) and Resident Evil Village (almost 2 year old game) as their examples says it all.

Playing RE:Village on an iGPU would have been impressive if it was a smooth experience. It wasn’t, so it sucks.

Ouch. They’re sherlocking Camo. It makes sense. Their phone cameras are great and their webcams suck.

If this camera thing works on my iPhone 8 I will be thrilled.

IPadOS gets a weather app, finally. No word yet on a calculator. Fingers crossed!

The transitions just keep getting more painful.

The iPhone webcam works with Teams? Wow. Didn’t expect that. Pretty impressive, at least in theory. Logitech must not be happy, heheh.

It’s a hybrid between a live event in front of the press and pre-recorded items. Looks like maybe a 20:80 ratio. This is Apple’s first live event in 2 years.

I’m not sure how much of this is live. That running Craig was painful, though.

Oh it’s very clear, it’s live when he’s on a stage outdoors, no window behind him.