X4 - Now with more flyable ships

Yeah, I never really got into AP because I had just sunk something like 300 hours in Terran Conflict, which I had discovered a ways after its release. So I wasn’t really up for diving back in yet to a not-sequel, if you know what I mean.

I do. Funny thing is, I had played hundreds of hours of TC, and felt the same, or so I thought. Then one day I decided to try AP out (I had bought it to support Egosoft back then). And I ended up playing over a hundred hours of it.

Even X: Rebirth saw me playing upwards of 50 hours, even in its less-than-optimal state. So yeah, let’s see how X4 goes. ;)

I played X2/X3/TC to death but i skipped AP since it didnt add anything new.

I have 118 hours on rebirth according to steam, I like to suffer. :p

It’s kind of both! It’s a VR-ish foray because I don’t think we’re getting VR support in X4. :(

But it is mostly the full game, with what I guess is like a VR mod making a stack of changes so it plays/runs better in VR.

The maps are less dense, the stations more spread out, like only 1 station per area. Much of the first person platform stuff inside stations was removed, and the majority of station doors are locked so you can’t enter. There is no co-pilot, which some may consider a blessing…

There are 3rd party mods though that can restore most of that to how it was in the base game if you really want.

The UI is all reworked to support VR better, but unfortunately they didn’t make the cockpit all properly touch enabled. Not ideal but it works I guess.

It uses touch controllers, mostly with a ‘laser pointer’ to target things and operate menus. Shooting is gaze-based. You can also use motion controls for steering which actually works pretty well.

It does support standard controllers/joysticks too, which I believe you can combine with touch for pointing (haven’t tried it).

The game also switches to a 2D mode if it detects you remove the HMD, changing the interface accordingly so you can keep playing that way.

Same. I am weak. Also desperate for a new Space sim now I am bailing on Elite. This one looks really fun. I cant see how I lose, even if its a mess it looks an interesting mess :)

Interesting. I don’t yet have a PC gaming VR headset, I’m still considering my options on wait vs buy now.

This part though:

Might allow me to use my GF’s Go and hobble together something that works. Again, I’d rather wait for a true headset for something like that. X games require a lot more in the way of interface than some other titles, I can imagine VR being the same.

After buying X3 at release, I vowed not to buy another Egosoft game on launch day.

After buying Rebirth on release, I vowed not to buy another Egosoft game on launch day.

Yet here we are, on the eve of another Egosoft launch day. And I already know I’m going to buy it, because apparently I’m a sucker. My history with the series goes back to the X-Tension expansion for BtF. It’s been a turbulent relationship.

I’m still undecided about whether “X-Tension” is the best game name ever or the worst. ;)

Anyway, I still have my X-Gold box at home. That I imported. From Germany. In a time that was pretty hard to do in Brazil. Yeah.

Just go in with proper (read: abysmal) expectations of the release version and all will be well. :)

I’m already looking forward to reading the manual and guessing which parts of it haven’t actually been implemented in the game.

I have two questions about X4 for those that have been keeping up with it.

1. Does it have those tubes to fly around in to go anywhere distant, more traditional gates, or just hyperspace?

2. I have found discussions about eye tracking hardware support. Has anyone seen a Tobii 4c in use with the game in those live streams? I’m somewhat interested in getting one.

I will let you know re the tubes “space road” thing. I hated that stuff. Will find out tomorrow.

I’m not getting this today. Nope not getting it. Anyone know what time it will be available on Steam…

I didn’t watch all that much of ObsidianAnt’s stream, because it started late and what there was was blurry, but I did hear him get corrected by the chat that what he had called a jump gate was a space highway, so I assume that means tubes are still a thing.

Not live on GOG yet. I’m guessing around 10 AM PST.

Thanks @rhamorim.

It’s live on GOG now. Could be on Steam too.

EDIT: it seems Steam is sticking to the 10 AM PST release time (for now).

EDIT2: a friend of mine said he’s downloading it on Steam now.

Just loaded the game up on Steam and am sitting on the main menu now.

Wait, this is a new game? After the last one, you’d think they’d come up with a new name or something.

-Tom

X: Prebirth? X: Afterbirth?