Xbox 360 Backward Comp updated

I know, I’m just a whiny little bitch sometimes. It’s certainly not a real backcom issue the way the 360’s “Compatability Lite” is.

I know, I’m just a whiny little bitch sometimes.[/quote]

Duly noted. ;)

Was this posted somewhere here yet?

http://www.theonion.com/content/node/42831

If that makes no sense to you, I’d hate to depend on you for anything important. Half assed jobs don’t benefit anyone, they just waste time.

And speaking of “fanboy,” who’s the one all too willing to forgive MS for failing to deliver?

Yeah, Whitta did back around Thanksgiving.

Couldn’t agree more. If I was given the choice of taking on a task where I knew I could only deliver a half-assed result at best, I’d rather not do the task.*

[size=1]* This, however, may not be apparent to those who are familiar with every magazine I’ve ever edited[/size]

Wait, it’s not like they’ve given up on the backwards compatibility. They’ve already said the Halo 2 fix is being worked on. If the “half-assed” part you guys are talking about meant “200 games that only work a little bit with no intentions by MS to get them fixed”, then I could see what you’re saying. But that’s not what’s happening, right? So I’ll have to agree that saying nothing is better than half-assed is stupid in this case because even if everything doesn’t work right now, at least they’re fixing them. If they never fix them, which seems extremely unlikely, then I’ll agree with you.

200 games, half of which no one cares about. Half of the remainder run so poorly they are barely playable (see ninja gaiden, prince of persia sands of time), and half of the remainder of the remainder are MS first party titles.

Yeh, that’s so great.

[size=1]liberty with numbers and if you can’t see that yet went out of your way to read this then you are faaaaaaaar too anal for your own good.[/size]

If that makes no sense to you, I’d hate to depend on you for anything important. Half assed jobs don’t benefit anyone, they just waste time.

That’s absurd. $1 is better than no dollars, no matter how many you expected to get. If you depended on me for something important and I realized I could either get the job half done at no cost to you or do nothing, you’d really rather I do nothing? Try to pretend it’s not a rival of Nintendo. Move the discussion to whatever field or industry you can act like an adult regarding if necessary.

And speaking of “fanboy,” who’s the one all too willing to forgive MS for failing to deliver?

I’m sorry, I can’t really parse this. “Forgive”? Someone has commited a wrong against me?

Can you put that in ‘human’ as I requested, because as is I can’t make sense of it.

As a consumer, I would rather have something, rather than nothing.

So you’d rather have a pile of shit in your hand than no pile of shit.

Gary- How does halfassed BC remotely hurt you?

Here, you get two options, everything else being equal:

1. Xbox360 that plays no XBox games
  2. Xbox360 that plays 1 Xbox game.

Why would anyone pick 1?

Quaro, I recently got an HDTV. And, yeah, this is clearly the hook for the 360. It looks great. I’m looking forward to one day when there are some great games to play on it.

As for the back-com issue, I have a shelf next to my TV where I keep my most frequently played games, which include the following Xbox titles: Halo 2, Timesplitters, Phantom Dust, SSX On Tour, Crimson Skies, America’s Army, Ghost Recon 2, Top Spin, Mercenaries, Forza, Midnight Club, Colin McCrae, Eve of Destruction, Kingdom under Fire, and Hulk.

So now I have to determine not only which of them work on the 360 (not many), but also which of them I’m willing to play from the beginning, losing all my progress (even fewer). For everything else, I still have my Xbox1 hooked up.

So what it boils down to is that I can do multiplayer Halo 2 with higher-res graphics and AA (well, I will be able to when they fix it). And that’s pretty much the extent of the 360’s back-com for me. Thanks, MS!

-Tom

It’s not that it actively hurts, it’s that MS’s lying position early on left consumers with a false impression, which has now made them angry. Had I run out to preorder an xbox360 in order to ‘just have it’ but also to keep playing the xbox games I’m currently playing, I would have essentially been robbed.

My problem, as previously stated, is that X360 doesn’t play these games reliably. I don’t feel comfortable playing these games under the 360’s emulation so long as stories persist of potentially game-stopping issues. They may be exaggerated, they may not be that widespread, but it’s too early to know if all the games that are supposed to work properly (such as Freedom Force) really DO work, or if some game-killing problem is lying in wait on Level 27.

So long as the 360’s back-com is not 100% iron-clad (and it is FAR from that), I am just not going to take the risk, because putting a lot of effort into a game only to have it crash right before I meet the final boss DOES hurt me.

Until about 1 month after Whitta gets a 360, it’s a good idea to take anything he says with a grain of salt. His pursuit of a 360 of his very own has driven him to the brink of lovecraftian madness.

Plus, he’s built it up so much and has dedicated so much energy to getting one (or sour grapes posting for not) that the 360 could ingest common household garbage and shit rated-10 games, and he’d still be disappointed.

It’s not that it actively hurts,

So you’d pick 2, correct? That was the discussion.

I would have essentially been robbed.

Not on board there. They never said BC would be 100%. Your expectations of what it would do are not their responsibility. Microsoft is not responsible for consumers who act like children.

Hehe. I actually think the X360 is a pretty good machine. If I didn’t, I wouldn’t want one. I love that it’s all high-def (at least now I have an HDTV), the wireless controllers are fab and the 360 iteration of Xbox Live is little short of genius.

My criticisms are pretty simple:

• Annoying launch strategy that has led too many people frustrated for the holidays.

• Half-assed backward-compatability

• Don’t particularly like the case design (Special Exclusive Whitta-cism not previously published on QT3!)

• Er, that’s it.

No. I would choose no compatibility over some; because the two are the same to me if I have to keep both systems hooked up. Save that dev time and put it towards something else, rather than wasting it on a feature I won’t use because it’s not good enough to use as a replacement.

[quote]

Not on board there. They never said BC would be 100%. Your expectations of what it would do are not their responsibility. Microsoft is not responsible for consumers who act like children.[/quote]

I’m not acting like a child. MS started by saying it would be backward compatible. Then they switched to “Some titles won’t be backward compatible.” Which was misleading; the PS2 is also not backward compatible with “some titles”. What MS should’ve said is “The system won’t be backwards compatible, but it will be able to play a select few titles.”

Out of curiosity - what games do you want to play aren’t supported by the 360’s emulation?

[quote=“Charles”]

No. I would choose no compatibility over some; because the two are the same to me if I have to keep both systems hooked up. Save that dev time and put it towards something else, rather than wasting it on a feature I won’t use because it’s not good enough to use as a replacement.

[quote]

Not on board there. They never said BC would be 100%. Your expectations of what it would do are not their responsibility. Microsoft is not responsible for consumers who act like children.[/quote]

I’m not acting like a child. MS started by saying it would be backward compatible. Then they switched to “Some titles won’t be backward compatible.” Which was misleading; the PS2 is also not backward compatible with “some titles”. What MS should’ve said is “The system won’t be backwards compatible, but it will be able to play a select few titles.”[/quote]