Xbox 360 Backward Comp updated

No. I would choose no compatibility over some; because the two are the same to me if I have to keep both systems hooked up. Save that dev time and put it towards something else, rather than wasting it on a feature I won’t use because it’s not good enough to use as a replacement.

You’re either being willfully dishonest or missing the point. The discussion was all else being equal. So you’d pick nothing over something because you think you were mislead.

I’m not acting like a child.

Understood.

The update that fixes halo was propped about ten minutes ago I think.

The emulation ninjas said so.

What MS should’ve done is left backwards compatibility out completely, but include a 360 version of Halo 2 with the console.

Ka-ching.

I said a while ago that a cool launch app for X360 would have been a “Halo SE” that included both games tied together in some kind of extended remix, added a bit of new content and running on a new, high-def 360-powered engine. I think that would have been more compelling than any of the titles in the actual launch line-up.

What a surprise, Jose is talking out of his ass.

The easy solution would be using an x86 chip. It would have worked as well as any other last generation Windows game can work on new hardware/new Windows OS. Which is to say, pretty fucking good.

Why don’t you go back to talking about podia, Jose?

Now as for Microsofts current response, it seems like they’re doing ok. I imagine they can do all sorts of compatibility layer tricks to get things to work, and so far it looks like they’re doing that.

Congratulations Microsoft. You’ve managed to make a console that’s as much of a mess to use as an operating system.

Congratulations Microsoft. You’ve managed to make a console that’s as much of a mess to use as an operating system.[/quote]
Not to mention finally bringing the beloved concept of “release now, patch later” to console gaming.

What a surprise, Jose is talking out of his ass.

The easy solution would be using an x86 chip. It would have worked as well as any other last generation Windows game can work on new hardware/new Windows OS. Which is to say, pretty fucking good.

Why don’t you go back to talking about podia, Jose?

Now as for Microsofts current response, it seems like they’re doing ok. I imagine they can do all sorts of compatibility layer tricks to get things to work, and so far it looks like they’re doing that.[/quote]

So you throw an X86 chip in there. Price just went up on the system’s price. And MS wants to make money this time, so that’s the entire point of ditching the X86 chip. They don’t own it. They have to buy them from Intel. And Intel doesn’t want to make millions of low-end X86 chips when it can have a fab plant making millions of high-end X86 chips (which is why MS could never get a price break on them.)

So even if MS doesn’t pass the added price onto the consumer, you’ve got other issues. You’ve got to cool the damn chip. Not only that, you’ve got to cool it on top of everything else in there. So you either stick more fans in and make it louder, redesign the case to make it bigger, or come up with some other solution that ends up adding a ton of bulk or cost the system.

Currently, I’d say Two Thrones. But I’m not getting a 360 till there are 360 games available that I care about. That being said, I’ve heard from some friends with 360s that even trying to play ‘supported’ games are poor. Sands of Time and Ninja Gaiden Black apparently have poor framerates on the 360.

That tells me that ‘compatible’ doesn’t necessarily mean ‘good’.

Me, my son, and our copy of Crimson Skies: High Road to Revenge disagree. I’ve also played Super Monkey ball and it worked great. Picked up Fable: The Lost Chapters today, but have not had a chance to load it up.

I think the backward compatibility is great, especially since it will take some time to build the lineup of available titles and many of the launch titles held little appeal for me.

Even just Halo 2 running in full HD glory would be more compelling than any of the actual launch titles (not counting Oblivion). I mean, that’s what all the bitching is about, right? People trying to play Halo 2 on their widescreen HDTVs. I haven’t heard anyone bemoaning the lack of Fable support.

Edit: need to learn to post faster

Oh I know, there’s a reason for it, I was just pointing out that there WAS an easy solution, and they didn’t take it. As for cooling and price and such, mobility processors like the Pentium-M are pretty good for both (and quite a bit better than the P4).

Seeing as they’re still losing money on the console, it doesn’t seem too clear why they went with the “cheaper” solution. I would’ve thought going to a more cost efficient architecture would have had them at least breaking even on launch.

Oh, and splitting the SKU was straight up retarded. There was a marketing weasel behind that, without any doubt.

You’d also need to include the nvidia graphics chip, as that’s where a lot of the emulation pain has come from as well. So now you have half of an original xbox in there.

I’d originally planned to keep my original Xbox until I finished a few games I haven’t had time to play through. But the only games I really, really care about that aren’t on the back-compat list are Psychonauts and Lego Star Wars (which my son loves to watch). I can get Psychonauts for the PC, and I just picked up a cheap copy of the PS2 version of Lego Star Wars.

Many of the other games I haven’t finished are fun, but I can live without finishing (MechCommander, etc.) or will have better counterparts on 360 (PGR, Links).

So now the original Xbox and the incompatible games are going to on sale to add to the Xmas fund…

Someone’s missing the point. I’ll spell it out for you.

If I have to keep my xbox hooked up in order to play xbox games, then whatever kind of emulation the xbox 360 has is of no use to me, at all.

Therefore, since it has no use to me, it doesn’t matter if it was included.

Since it doesn’t matter if it was included, MS could’ve put their money to better use.

Better use can mean just about anything.

Beyond Good and Evil
Psychonauts
Chronicles of Riddick
Prince of Persia: The Two Thrones
Phantom Dust

to name a few.

Actually, that was my understanding for the current solution (the cost of the nvidia chips was prohibitive).

I don’t understand the Fable reference used a moment ago, since Fable is on the BC list.

Therefore, since it has no use to me, it doesn’t matter if it was included.

So you’d prefer it to be not included? Not caring if you have it and not wanting it aren’t equivalent. I’d rather anything have extra stuff for free even if right now I can’t think of how I’ll use it.

What if your Xbox breaks? What if you want to play a game in widescreen, 720p, with wireless controllers, etc.?

Since it doesn’t matter if it was included, MS could’ve put their money to better use.

All else being equal. Is that a difficult concept?

Now, you’re not Jose, so I’m going to assume you’re not talking out your ass here. But, that said - since when does the graphics chipset used have anything to do with DX backwards compatibility? Are you saying that they directly accessed the hardware without a DX layer on the XBox?

All else being equal I don’t give a shit if it’s there, because I won’t use it if it doesn’t work perfectly or better.

When you’re talking about a game console and not a PC. Hope that helps in the future.

I bet you feel like an idiot after several posters proved you to be wrong. Here’s something else for you to dwell on. Many games accessed specific functions of the Nvidia chip that were unique to that chip. If that didn’t exist, they’d be able to easily emulate the chip. They’re doing it on a one on one basis because they have to. Actually, Backov, the chip is the primary problem. So you’re brilliant soluting of tossing in a chip in there is essentially stupid. Why don’t you try to reading a little before you go on a little baby rage and namecall.

I really hate when certain posters here have to make personal insults. If you had a fucking point to make, Backov, make it without being an idiot.