Xbox 360 Oblivion mods. Of course

The thing is, it doesn’t necessarily have to be stealing. Someone could make a horse armor mod independently, using different art and such, and offer it for free. What’s Bethesda gonna do then? They can protect the copyright of their own mod, but I think they’d have a tougher time saying “no horse armor mods of any kind.”

Patent Infringement, DMCA Takedown, sorted.

1. If Bethesda try to stop people making horse armor mods, it will end in tears. It’s inconceivable that they would even attempt to control mods this way, though maaaaybe they have planned ahead and have embedded some complicated system to control the import of 3d objects? They won’t control anything you can do with the construction set, but maybe they have made proprietary the 3dsMax>Oblivion type stuff?

2. Barring technological (and thus DMCA) impediments, all they can do is ask nicely. I think it’s more likely we’ll see third party mods being sold now. People will charge $1 for a “custom house in Anvil to your exact specs.”

3. They keep a straight face because they are a business charging for content in accordance with what the market can acccept. The XBox360 market is designed by man and tightly regulated by technology: you buy into something like that, you know what you’re getting yourself into.

Think of the many mac-based business up and down the country that had to deal with the mac software market pre-OSX. There were lots of niche monopolies because of the tininess of the market, able to charge astounding amounts for products that were cheap on the PC, because the macintosh platform was always an inescapable technological cult. $2,000 per seat licensing for a proprietary database used to hold text only entires? And then OSX came along and brought generic SQL to the mac and that ended that.

If it happens, there will be an oblivionmods.ru soon enough!

Most distribution methods have previously dealt with this kind of thing. Of course a professional mod isn’t going to be put on an otherwise legit mod site, don’t be ridiculous. Ah, I misread. Well, wouldn’t it depend on how the horse armor was made? If it was simply a different model for the professional mod that might be a problem, but if a guy made horse armor and his own method of implementation it’d be kosher.

Rob: First person to make a Oblivion hot coffee mod is going to be rich.

The big deal is that this side business will effect the games you and I play. That horse armor isn’t in the game because they thought they could charge for it. Would it have made it in without the possibility of later sales? Maybe.

The point is that it was considered and the concept will be considered going forward. This fine tuning of content will determine what you can and cannot play in your games. It will determine how often you think about your wallet while traveling the wilderness of your latest RPG. It’ll determine what makes the actual game itself. Decent games will likely be ruined in the process. Great games will make a lot of folks feel ripped off or left out. Game companies are looking at this experiment with rapt attention. If you think this is a simple matter of economics, you are incorrect.

Sorry if I didn’t make it clear, my post was addressing the 2$ horse mod on PC, and the futility of attempting to do so.

The big deal is that this side business will effect the games you and I play. That horse armor isn’t in the game because they thought they could charge for it. Would it have made it in without the possibility of later sales? Maybe.

The point is that it was considered and the concept will be considered going forward. This fine tuning of content will determine what you can and cannot play in your games. It will determine how often you think about your wallet while traveling the wilderness of your latest RPG. It’ll determine what makes the actual game itself. Decent games will likely be ruined in the process. Great games will make a lot of folks feel ripped off or left out. Game companies are looking at this experiment with rapt attention. If you think this is a simple matter of economics, you are incorrect.

I think you’re blowing it way out of proportion, but that’s the way of the internet so I don’t blame you. If companies offer additional content via this mechanism, I don’t care. If they start offering patches or essential quest pieces through it, I’ll get pissed.

If you want to buy everything in the game, may I recomend Project Entropia.

The Oblivion Store

fuzzy, it actually would appear to be a simple matter of economics.

Either game companies can make money this way or they can’t. I’m pretty sure thats the main consideration.

See, those sound cool. I’ll gladly pay $2.50 for a big wizard’s tower. It sounds like it you can own it like a house too, all the better. And the Orrery sounds like more quests to me. The horse armor was ridiculous, but these next two are fine by me.

I wonder if this comes at the expense of Expansion packs.

See, those sound cool.

Yeah, I’d be happy to pay for a decent quest or two.

OOhhhh…teh anger. Sensitive about that 360 purchase, too, huh?

No, I understand.

What I’m wondering about these content updates is, do you just automagically get the stuff it adds? Like, you pay your two bucks and then your horse has armor? Or does it just add the stuff to the world and then you have to get it through normal quest/find/buy means?

Rat Meat (common) + bonemeal (also common) = Potions of Ratweiser.

Although Ratweiser isn’t the greatest poison ever (slight fatigue loss), it’s great for practicing alchemy and still fun to use on weaker critters.

Potions of Nightcap (Wisp Stalk Caps + Nightshade for slight health damage) are also common & easy.

Noone can make any horse armor mods, they have not and might not release any exporters. They are blaming licensing issues or something

‘it’s havoks fault. now buy some horse duds!’

Shit. Now I’m going to have to double up my trips.

Didn’t I see a mark/recall mod? That would be the shit right now.

you can get a nice big free wizards tower that can control the fucking weather and has a quest + battle w/ and eivl mage, for free. Like, awhile ago.

I bet this is more betterer. And I’m playing on Xbox so I can’t do that anyway.