Xbox One Elite controller: anyone got one?

It’s clearly not a value-conscious product. It’s like an Apple watch, a very expensive toy that you may enjoy using, even though you may not strictly need one.

I just ordered one of these and i was torn because it is alot of money, but i realized that i needed it. I game mostly on PC now and use a controller because my hands hurt so bad after working all day on a pc then coming home to game with mouse and keyboard. I got an original xbox one controller that was not Bluetooth that has just been overused and everything is loose.
I got a xbox one s a few years ago and a new bluetooth controller and was nice at first but was burning through batteries at a fair rate, it had a tendency to try to reconnect the controller to the pc and freeze my game while it did that, every time caused quite a few deaths and overall frustration. So i have been using a corded controller since. I hoping this thing will solve some if not all my problems.

Both of my friends have an Elite controller and they really like it (they have complaints, but overall they like it a lot). I lucked out in that I had ordered one myself this summer from Amazon but it got lost somewhere in transit and never arrived. I cancelled the order for a refund and the next day the Elite 2 was announced, so I put the money down on that. I should be getting it next week.

From the little I played with the controller, I think I’ll really like it. Being able to adjust the length of the sticks felt really good for me and I believe you can adjust the resistance now as well. That will help me a lot.

I’m a diehard M&K player but this year I forced myself to use only a gamepad across all FPS games so that I could finally get used to it as I’m doing more gaming from the couch these days. It started with Anthem in February, then the Division 2, and now Destiny 2, including PVP. I’m finally competent with one but I do have large hands so I really want to be able to adjust some things here and there. Looking forward to taking it for a spin next weekend.

It’s funny. On various enthusiast forums I’ve seen people express the opposite opinion - that they can’t believe that Xbox One controllers (before the Elite v2) still uses AA batteries, as if that’s some totally antiquated idea.

I’m with you on this one - I love being able to just swap out some Eneloops or whatever. With my PS4, on the other hand, I never play local multiplayer games but still have 2 controllers simply so that one can charge while I use the other one.

At least the Elite v2 has that 40-50 hours of battery life compared to the 5-10 of the Dualshock 4, but I’m still a little bummed it doesn’t take AA batteries.

AA batteries will continue to be manufactured and sold decades from now. Proprietary internal batteries likely will not.

(One of my two old MiniDisc recorders has the nice feature that it takes AA batteries internally instead of the usual gumstick battery. It can even charge the AA batteries! The other one does not and therefore can no longer be used without plugging it in.)

Yeah, especially if they’re non-replaceable lithium batteries. Then it’s just planned obsolescence.

I’m a little tempted since I loved the original Elite. It felt great and the paddles were especially helpful in a variety of different games. But then the left shoulder button broke and I discovered it was a common problem. I tried to fix it myself but didn’t have any luck. If that flaw has been addressed, I’d consider getting this new version.

I love my elite controller. Use it exclusively on PC for platformers and usually 3rd person games. Using a lot lately for ESO and Conan Exiles and it works a treat. Only complaint is that the paddles can only be mapped to other controller buttons, which is a shame, but has been remedied through Steam’s excellent controller customisation capability.

That said, the couple of normal Xbox one controllers I got to use when steam linking to my NVidia Shield are also very good.

I have an Elite 1st gen controller and like it, but do find the paddles to be less useful than I’d hoped because I find it difficult to hold the controller without inadvertently hitting them, so I generally remove them. They’re good replacements for clicking the sticks though (i.e. R3) which I also find impossible given how I hold a controller.

Ooh, hadn’t thought about that. I hate games that force you to click the sticks to run.

COD MW now requires you to DOUBLE click the R3 stick to super-run, which is terrible.

I gave two versions of the elite controller on the PS4 a shot, and both failed miserably. They either felt really bad, or they had massive (and also entirely inconsistent) input delay. one was from Razr, which I really expected more from. But they were so bad that they made shooters entirely unplayable.

Why Sony still refuses to make a controller with back-paddles, I will never understand.

I manually modded a PS4 controller at one point using a dremel, and it worked better than any one I’ve seen for sale, but eventually broke and I don’t feel like cracking it open and re-soldering it.

Got my Elite 2 yesterday and had a few hours to play around it. Really good first impression. I tightened the resistance on the sticks, adjusted the trigger locks, and bound the paddles to stick clicks. Feels great playing Destiny 2.

These are my top 3 reasons I would love one of these. At $180 it’s a tough purchase, but one I think I’d be happy with for a very long time so it looks like a great investment for how often I end up going controller on PC. I did suggest we get one for my son for Christmas, we’ll see if my wife agrees it’s a good idea or not. :)

Put this on my Christmas list. Question: Can you map the paddles to anything? And is this done via software or the controller itself?

With the Xbox app you can only bind to other gamepad actions. There may be third party apps or Steam that let you configure more, not sure.

I was so surprised and happy to find out that you could actually download the Xbox Accessories App from the Microsoft store without creating a MS account of any sort. Such a breath of fresh air.

And then I found out that to actually use the app to configure the controller, you need both an MS account and a “gamertag”. Fucking assholes.

(The Elite 2 hardware is pretty sweet though).

I never found any use for the paddles on my Eite 1.

I hate stick clicks to do things like sprint and they give me an ergonomic alternative. In a game like Destiny 2, I have to give up my ability to look for a bit when I jump up float around with my Warlock. By binding ‘A’ to a paddle I never have to take my thumb off the stick.

Please try moving the left stick to any extreme and then letting go and allowing the thumbstick to recenter itself naturally with spring force.

Does it bounce past the center point enough to make your character wiggle the opposite direction like it does on the original Elite? (The new stick force adjustment might also affect this.)

Just tested that, no wiggle.