Xbox Series X - The next Xbox that's boxy but sexy xXx

Makes sense, overwatch is a very light game. Even then they say they’re trading-off image quality.

Woohoo, peeps, I snagged one from Costco, I think!

Got an order number and everything. The weirdest thing, though. I got a Hotstock notification about PS5 at Costco, so I searched for that on an open page where I was logged in, and it showed up as sold out. Then on a whim I went and picked Xbox Series X with extra controller et voilà it was in stock! I had my card saved in there so I couldn’t check out fast enough. In mid checkout I got the notification from Hotstock about the thing I was actually buying BTW.

Fingers crossed. Got the “order confirmed” email.

EDIT: for some reason, under “My Orders” the right picture and amount ($539.99) appear, but it says “Xbox Series X/S with Additional Controller”

Props to @stusser for turning me on to Hotstock! I should have had more faith (a-faith a-faith-a).

Well done!

Thanks. I was curious whether continuing to refresh the PS5 product page would work when I did the search after the first notification and got the familiar “out of stock” result. Did it about 6 times, no change, which gave me the idea to look for the Xbox again.

I wonder how often it happens that people who finally get one of these consoles do so by weird happenstance as in this case. If I’d only checked when I got the Xbox notification from Hotstock it may have already been too late.

BTW, what kind of charging port does the current Xbox controller use? Micro-USB or USB-C?

Double A’s.

Yes, but apart from that, no charging port?

Correct, MS makes you pony up for their play n’ charge kit.

https://www.xbox.com/en-US/accessories/batteries-chargers/play-and-charge-kit

Standard Xbox controller is only batteries, not rechargable.

The elite controller is usb c.

Not sure why the normal controller is not rechargable.

Although i recall with the 360 having swappable battery packs that could be charged separately was actually convenient.

If you want my opinion, your best bet is probably to get some of these.

AmazonSmile: Panasonic K-KJ17MCA4BA Advanced Individual Cell Battery Charger Pack with 4 AA eneloop 2100 Cycle Rechargeable Batteries: PANASONIC: Electronics

Wow, that kinda bites. OTOH I can use an Xbox One controller as well, correct?

Yes you can.

I have a little doohickey that plugs into the usb port on my my XSX. It holds and recharges two battery packs, the size of two AA batteries. I get the popup that says my battery is low, I swap them. Problem solved.

Thanks for the link. I see it comes with a charger as well.

@Don_Quixote what doohickey might that be?

Worth noting that like the Xbox One controller, the Xbox Series X controller works as a wired controller regardless of battery status, and unlike the Xbox One controller, it uses USB-C for that purpose.

Closest I could find currently was this thing. There’s no brand on the one I have. This is really similar, though. Batteries last for days and days. I think I swap them once every other week or so. Also, they charge even when the console is shut down, when plugged into the one of the console usb ports.

https://www.amazon.com/BEBONCOOL-Battery-2200mAh-Rechargeable-Controller/dp/B07F15CV12/ref=sr_1_3_mod_primary_lightning_deal?crid=27CBIUECV5XW8&dchild=1&keywords=xbox+one+battery+charger&qid=1615593520&s=electronics&sbo=Tc8eqSFhUl4VwMzbE4fw%2Fw%3D%3D&smid=ATD293HIUAW1A&sprefix=Xbox+One+Battery+%2Celectronics%2C234&sr=1-3

I just got an Amazon branded AA rechargable setup. Although it looks like the price of AA rechargables has gone up.

https://www.amazon.com/AmazonBasics-Battery-Charger-Rechargeable-Batteries/dp/B00TOVTZ7K/ref=pd_bxgy_img_2/142-9613789-7517635?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B00TOVTZ7K&pd_rd_r=210279be-52b5-4be8-892e-db3a96101d1a&pd_rd_w=ncDHo&pd_rd_wg=zUAbw&pf_rd_p=f325d01c-4658-4593-be83-3e12ca663f0e&pf_rd_r=BJ25ZSMVJNGEYF1PR375&psc=1&refRID=BJ25ZSMVJNGEYF1PR375

https://www.amazon.com/AmazonBasics-High-Capacity-Rechargeable-Batteries-Pre-charged/dp/B00HZV9WTM/ref=pd_pbp13n_hpb_sims_1?pd_rd_w=Eaxin&pf_rd_p=a0aefcc4-048a-468d-a4bb-24a7e1d03f86&pf_rd_r=6ZYRV5Q7T1F9WFBDEE1S&pd_rd_r=b2eb70af-e826-496e-bbe2-6086636bd5bd&pd_rd_wg=TaSr9&pd_rd_i=B00HZV9WTM&th=1

For sure, on some level that’s probably more cost efficient in terms of number of batteries. But there’s an ease-of-use factor about just swapping out the packs from the charger to the controller and vice versa that’s just smooth. No fumbling about with individual batteries.

Ah, so unlike the PS3 and PS4 (and I presume PS5) controllers, it doesn’t charge the battery in-controller that way, but it does work wired just as the previous gen one did (with a different connector, obvs). You’d have to have a long-ass USB (A?) to USB-C cable though.

Eneloops are widely said to be the best. Probably worth a couple extra dollars.

The controller just needs power, doesn’t need to be connected to the Xbox with a cable. My gf uses hers from the couch with the controller plugged into the phone charger from the wall socket next to her, controller then connects wirelessly to the console. No batteries needed, it’s pretty great.