Xbox Series X - The next Xbox that's boxy but sexy xXx

So, All the games ive tried so far Are 30 fps, and dipping it seems, and no options to lower resolution. Is this really okay? Conan exiles, fallout 76 and far cry new dawn runs like this, and its very grating on the eyes.

I cant be the only one seeing this.
Edit: Destiny 2 is 60 fps

Hereā€™s a list on reddit from 2 months ago. This is before the fps boost program.

The FPS boost feature is still in its infancy.

Hereā€™s the list of titles so far:

Fallout 76 is on there. Are you sure FPS Boost is active? Go to Manage game and look there for the option. I havenā€™t tried it yet myself, but when itā€™s active and you bring up the guide while playing, itā€™s supposed to say fps boost on the screen, like this shot from Watch Dogs 2:

Ohh, manage game? Thats outside of the game then? Thanks!

Itā€™s not that Smart Delivery is anything great, itā€™s just that Sony is so bad at it. I thought it was a pretty ridiculous thing to crow about until Sony just doubled down on the PSā€™s incompetence in the area.

It also seems like the type of thing that is only going to matter a handful of times (if that) to a person in the first year of the new consoles. Game Journalists probably impacted a bit more than that by reviewing every game that gets a next gen upgraded version. Sony should be better clearly but in the grand scheme of things this isnā€™t a big deal feature despite what that idiotic Kotaku article says (I mean they complain about Ghost of Tsushima save file and that game is just the PS4 game in BC and itā€™s using the standard Playstation cloudsave from the PS4 era, smart delivery has nothing to do with it.)

Also, the game that kicked this conversation off again is Avengers, which while not Anthem dead isnā€™t exactly in the best of health player count wise.

You can make a reductive argument like this about any software which ā€œjust worksā€. The fact is that anything you think is easy or magical probably took a shit ton of careful planning and thoughtful implementation.

I think itā€™ll be useful for a lot longer than you. Itā€™s not simply about cross-generation titles getting a new update months down the line.

I wouldnā€™t be surprised if we see cross-generation titles continuing to come out for years from now. Not every game is AAA or necessitates exclusivity to the latest hardware - there will be indie games and ā€œAAā€ games coming to PS4 and Xbox One for a long time, games which otherwise arenā€™t held back by the aging hardware, but which developers want to take advantage of the new consoles too.

So, consider a game which comes out in 2023 - Xbox One, Xbox Series, PS4, PS5, etc. - many people wonā€™t have upgraded their systems yet. So someone with an Xbox One in 2023 buys the game, then in 2024 they finally have the opportunity to upgrade to an Xbox Series, and their gamesā€¦just work.

But what about the PS4 gamer in 2023? They play the PS4 title, then in 2024 they get a PS5 and want to try out the upgraded version. All the annoyances people have today in 2021 would still apply, three years later.

You suggest that maybe game journalists are affected more - I think itā€™s the opposite - ordinary people who canā€™t afford to buy a new $300-500 console (or spend hours trying to find one) will upgrade years into the console generation, and those people - who continue playing last-gen games for the next few years - will be affected by this most of all.

Just between you me, the wall, and everyone on earth, but i found the PS5 not to be the exciting advance from the PS4 Pro that i had expected. Things like UI design which were almost universally praised feltā€¦ exactly the same to me (though there were a lot of under-the-hood integration with achievements and such). It felt to me that despite the ā€œoldā€ UI the under the hood Xbox experience was more advanced and modern.

That said thereā€™s a lot of edge case stuff that happens with it and iā€™d really like an icon/marker for a game that has quick resume available, but being able to fire up the Xbox X|S and get into a game in basically seconds is tbh even better than PC. Switching between a game and the internet browser is justā€¦ the normal way of doing things. The YouTube app does seem to break most of the quick resumes in memory though, i think it hoovers up most of the cache reserved for quick resume on launch.

I do find the Xbox UI funny though - itā€™s like they looked at the Sony 1D (linear X axis only) UI design and literally made a 2D (X/Y axis) UI instead.

Maybe thatā€™s why quick resume doesnā€™t work half the time for me because I watch YouTube a lot on the Series X in between games.

I use Youtube only on the old Xbox One, Iā€™m keeping my Series X pure. Donā€™t need no stinking youtube gobbling up my RAM.

The other thing about smart delivery is xCloud.

Right now xCloud is Xbox One S hardware. But smart delivery letā€™s you swap between cloud and console even if you have a Series X at home.

And if xCloud upgrades to Series X in the future, cloud saves will continue to just work.

BTW I went and uploaded a bunch of my old 360 saved games to the cloud, and recently played my old favorite Midnight Club LA again. :-)

Anyone know if a game like that, which got a graphics boost on the Xbone X, still keeps the boost on the Series X?

Yes, XSX uses the XboneX install. XSS uses the XboneS.

I donā€™t think Midnight Club: LA got enhanced for the Xbox One X.

At least, Iā€™m not seeing it on the list.

https://www.xbox.com/en-US/games/xbox-one/xbox-one-x-enhanced-list

Aww, bummer, I thought Iā€™d heard it had on some guyā€™s YouTube video a couple of years ago. Maybe it was just that it ran on modern consoles at all.

Thanks for that link BTW.

I am excited to see that PoP: The Sands of Time and the first Mercenaries game are on the list. I still have those discs!

This is the first time Iā€™ve seen the Seagate 1tb expansion at any discount. Newegg has it for 10% with the code BTEETSU22. Not sure if you have to be a subscriber to the Newegg E-blast to use the code.

https://www.newegg.com/p/N82E16820248142?Item=N82E16820248142

Surely you meant 10% off above. Otherwise, woohoo! ;-)

BTW, I installed Prince of Persia and it looks great. 4:3 of course, but thatā€™s to be expected. Also you need to do the mental translation of the white and black buttons to LB and RB respectively. The forced perspective is a bit hard to get used to as well, and checkpoint saves only. The cutscene audio is a bit muted or lo-fi, so the VA is hard to understand (maybe I should switch the audio out to stereo for this game?), but the in-game audio is on point.

BTW there was a 360 version of the cel-shaded 2008 Prince of Persia, right? I played it on PC and really liked it.

Ha, yes 10% off.