Xbox Series X - The next Xbox that's boxy but sexy xXx

Copied over from the Biomutant thread. It’s nice to see that the Series X’s more powerful hardware is starting to show. There have been a couple of other recent games that seem to favor Series X over PS5, such as Mass Effect’s where only the Series X has a120Hz mode. That’s a nice contrast from launch titles such as Assassin’s Creed Valhalla where the PS5 versions were actually doing better than the Series X versions.

I didn’t get a Series X for its hardware specs — my gaming group is moving over from PS4 to Series X because of Game Pass. I’m planning to get a PS5 sooner or later (but hoping to hold out until a smaller version than the current giant-sized PS5 is available). But it was somewhat disappointing to see how much better graphics on launch titles were doing on PS5 over the Series X.

They should put a 60 fps option on the Series S, no excuse for locking you into 30 in 2021.

The PS5 is much closer to the XSX than the launch Xbone was to the PS4. Sure the XSX is faster, but not by an amount likely to be noticeable. You should really think of them as roughly equivalent in all relative performance measures.

From the tweet replies, it sounds like there was some sort of technical issue on PS5 that will hopefully be soon resolved.

My brother in Oregon was saying this weekend that he actually likes the Xbox Series S better than his Series X. (In the beginning it was a lot easier to get a Series S so he ended up with that one first).

Anyway, he’s really happy with the Series S except for it’s low storage. And yes, he does miss not having a disc drive sometimes when he feels the urge to play one of the backwards compatible 360 titles he has on disc. Other than that, it’s a little compact machine that feels zippy and modern, and it outputs to his TV at 4k, like @Enidigm was saying. I’m not sure how that’s done exactly, I guess it just has a scaler which upscales the image. But he can’t tell much of a difference. His Series X is hooked up to a different TV, and he says the experience on the games he’s tried feels the same to him in terms of look and feel, but the Series X looks much clunkier and less modern in comparison. (The actual physical appearance of the console, since it’s hard to fit in places with its dimensions).

Yeah, everybody living in Jersey City says it’s really nice there, they have so much space, they can have a car, it’s really so much nicer than Manhattan.

To be clear, he has a Series X as well, just hooked up to a different TV.

“Oh I have apartments in both Hoboken and Manhattan, I love to get out of the city, it’s so convenient to drive to Costco.”

Aren’t apartments in Manhattan usually shithole places to live?

Oh for sure, your house on Long Island will be new and modern, tons of space, and a yard for Benji to run around and poop in! So much fresh air! Who needs the city?

So the Switch is the best console of all time? All the benefits of the city, all the green air of the country! I mean, never mind that it’s a small city, and the air is green because its choking with pollen, but still.

My son has been hooking up his Series S to the living room TV (Sony X900H) and it looks pretty darn good playing Borderlands 3. Not bad at all for $300.

So far I’m enjoying the XSS and glad I didn’t pay extra for the XSX, as I’m not really sure what benefit I’d have. I have about 2.5 rows of games with space to spare (though I usually only play 1-2 games at a time so that’s overkill for me).

I also think the XSS is a great deal. Would I rather have a PS5 diskless for $!00 more, yes, but Game Pass really adds to the savings with Xbox…always been a PS person but the XSS has swayed me a little to the, uh, right.

I generally have no allegiance to any console maker.

Honestly, I feel like I tend to dislike whatever console maker I have the most recent experience with, because I’m most familiar with their failures.

I used a 360 more than my Ps3… then was like “Fuck microsoft!” when they tried to make us buy kinnects… and after the PS4, I was more recently acquainted with all the bullshit Sony pulls, so went back to Microsoft.

Part of it is like airlines… the worst airline is whatever one you fly on most.

Part of it is that when one of them succeeds in a generation, they fall prey to their own hubris.

I dunno, Sony crushed MS last generation and the PS5 is perfectly fine. For the previous 2 generations of console hardware I would definitely agree though.

They use the same basic hardware so it’s not like choosing between a Tesla and a steam powered train, it’s like choosing between a Toyota 86 vs a Subaru BRZ. Generally Sony has had more interesting (to me) first party games; Microsoft had generally had less interesting first party games, and fewer. Now with Gamepass, that’s a wash, and at least right now at this exact moment, arguably Gamepass is a better deal than whatever future game Sony might make but isn’t here right now.

Maybe, but I feel like Sony’s still showing some complacency… The lack of a controller with back paddles, for instance, is something that seriously bugs me.

Also, I feel like they are late to the show coming up with an answer to gamepass, although in fairness, I don’t think anyone expected gamepass to be this good.

It’s not like the XSeries has back paddles, and Sony did substantially innovate in their controllers this generation.

The XBox elite controller has back paddles, and has been available since last generation.

Last gen I had a PS4 and was really happy with it up until I bought into Game Pass Ultimate. At that point I decided it was worth buying an XB1X because I didn’t have to buy games for it in order to enjoy it, and with all the options I had available to me the PS4 sat around and got dusty.

As awesome as the new Ratchet game looks I just can’t justify the $400 for a disc-less PS5 in which I’d still have to buy $60-70 games for to enjoy it. At that point I might as well just stick with my PC and my stupid steam/epic backlog.

My purchase of an XSS was done because I knew that I could get significant enjoyment without spending more than the price of the console.

I don’t really have an allegience outside of the practicality GP is giving me.