Xbox Series X - The next Xbox that's boxy but sexy xXx

I really hope more games embrace what Returnal did with the left trigger, I can see first half for ADS and click through for go to scope being very practical and much better than the stick click to go to scope that some games uses now.

That’s not exactly the pack in. They did experiment with the back button attachment, which who knows maybe they’ll do again on PS5 but maybe sales just weren’t there to justify it.

Yes, and you can buy $150 aftermarket playstation controllers with back paddles too, I imagine.

Yeah, I went back this past week to finish Astro’s Playroom and the haptics on the DualSense are phenomenal. It’s a shame more won’t be done with them since it isn’t standard across platforms.

Until it’s standard and not locked behind a $180 accessory it’s moot. Personally I’m glad that both consoles are now powerful enough to keep up with mainstream PCs and a viable alternative - especially given the lack of video card availability. There are definitely some experiences on PC that would be better though not “pay 2x or more of MSRP” better.

I bought one and appreciated what they were trying to do, but the ergonomics of it sucked. I unplugged it after a day and haven’t used it since.

No, this is absolutely wrong.

It’s not moot, because I can, as a user, CHOOSE to buy one. Which I did. Which tons of people did.

But for the PS4/5, I can’t even choose to buy one. It’s literally not an option to have a controller like that. The best I could have was that little attachment thing for the PS4 controller, which was kind of janky and only had two paddles. The PS5 doesn’t have anything.

What? Of course you can.

Ah, sorry, you’re right… they’re like scuff controllers, right? Basically, ones that some third party bought and modified?

While it’s definitely good that those are at least an option now, my experience with Scuf ps4 controllers was absolutely terrible. The plastic paddles were just turbo trash, and constantly broke.

If that company has paddles that are as well constructed as the elite controller, then that’s great, but my experience with scuf controllers makes me real skeptical of 3rd party modded controllers with plastic paddles.

And then you have other controllers from companies like Razr which are actually high quality, but they weren’t wireless, which made them suck.

Yes, they’re third-party modified controllers. I can’t vouch for quality, but they’re certainly available. There are tons for PS4, but PS5 is still pretty new and it has proprietary stuff so nothing built from the ground up yet.

I think Sony improved the interface for the PS5 by quite a bit. Always found the PS4 a bit clunky. By comparison, the Series X’s screen looks the same as a 1S, just snappier. Not sure that was a great choice.

They did what now?! I haven’t played Returnal yet and that sounds amazing!

Well in Returnal it’s used for aiming v. alt-fire as opposed to scope like I suggested but yeah it’s neat and works really well I find.

I would really like something like that for any first-person shooter with the haptics putting a bump point in the middle of the pull or right at full trigger pull for the scope. No more L3 to zoom!

Regardless, it’s good that there is at least an option now, even if it ends up being shitty like scuf controllers. (although that second option seems like they haven’t actually started shipping anything yet)

What I want though, is for Sony to just make their own, high quality version of the elite controller. I don’t know why they don’t… it seems like free money. MS has made bank on those controllers, and there’s definitely a market for paddles among the shooter community.

I would say we’ve done a pretty decent job of not shitting up the Playstation thread with Xbox talk. Would be ever so wonderful if we could reciprocate in the Xbox thread, thanks so much.

But they did release the Back Button Attachment on PS4. It’s perfect. I use it every day. They may have one in the works for PS5 and that’s fine.

Ya… nah… it’s not perfect man. And ya, I know exactly how it works, I have one myself, and ya, I used it a ton.

It’s dramatically inferior to the 4 paddle option of the elite controller, in both ergonomics and function.

It’s a serviceable option, given nothing else, but that’s not the same as being good, much less perfect.

My ultimate solution, after giving scuf money and getting fed up with them, and then printing my own paddles, and then using that plug in attachment that sony eventually made, was actually to modify my own controller by hand and create a more durable, ergonomic solution than scuf… but that was a huge pain in the ass, and not something I would recommend.

(also, my custom job was ALSO dramatically inferior to the elite controller)

You’re very hung up on not just a niche controller feature, but a difference in quality of implementation in a niche controller feature that’s only available as an optional accessory on both platforms, and completely unimpressed with actual controller innovations Sony added this generation that Microsoft has no answer for.

And that’s all fine, but I don’t think you’re going to persuade anyone it’s a meaningful sign of complacency on Sony’s part no matter where you move the goal posts.

The thing is, for me personally, as a player, the quality of the elite controller and it’s functionality is REALLY important.

I totally get that it may not be for everyone, especially people who don’t play shooters. But for folks who play shooters? Like Dave? He knows how important paddles are. That’s why he’s using sony’s attachment. Being able to access the face button functionality without taking your thumbs of the sticks (or using some whacked out claw grip that some competitive gamers used) is a big deal, man.

In terms of sony’s haptic triggers, they’re totally cool. They don’t convey quite the huge competitive advantage that something like back paddles do, but they’re still cool if developers actually use them.

But that’s gonna be a running question for a while.

Did you realize that the Xbox already had haptic feedback triggers? Most folks don’t. But they did add the feature with the XBone. It’s nothing as cool as sony’s cool system which can actually provide resistance, but it did give you additional feedback on the triggers if developers use it. But developers didn’t really use it much, so…meh? That’s actually one thing that might occur now that sony’s triggers caught more attention, it might actually pretty developers to use such features more.

But on the PS4, that controller had all kinds of fancy stuff… It has that weird touchpad button in the middle… It had the gyroscopes in there that let you do weird stuff with gestures and stuff by moving the controller around.

But in practice? Most games didn’t use those features. Lots of the games that DID try to use them, used them in terribly bad ways that were often more of a nuisance than a feature.

I think that’s why I’d generally place value on a “simple” feature like programmable paddles that I know is going to be useful in pretty much every game I every play, without the developers doing anything special to enable it.

And this isn’t some new thing at this point… this is a thing that already existed last generation.

The Sony controller is not just haptic triggers, there is the more advanced rumble yes, but the the triggers it’s more akin to force feedback than the rumble triggers on the Xbox One controllers and it’s a lot more nuanced they can for instance vary the tension of the trigger or create a click through point where you pull and then you reach resistance and it acts like button or well a trigger that you click past (think the old gamecube controllers somewhat). Third party support who knows but first party support of it has been good so far.

And again backpadles are not a standard Xbox feature so stop treating it like one.

Like I said, I fully know how the sony triggers work, and I realize they are much more advanced than the trigger advancements that the XBone added. I didn’t mean to trigger all the PlayStation fanboys, that wasn’t the point of mentioning it.

You keep saying this like it matters… I bought it, and now I own it. That’s all I care about, dude.

And I’m not saying that Sony should make it a standard feature of their controller. I just wanted to be ABLE to buy a first party Sony controller with back paddles. I would gladly have paid Sony just as much for it as I paid for the elite controller.