Xbox Series X - The next Xbox that's boxy but sexy xXx

Daytona? It’s one of of Sega’s arcade classics. As Virtua Racing in its day, it had impressive visuals and a great sense of speed. I’m not sure if it’s that interesting to anyone who didn’t grow up with it or is a die-hard fan of the genre. It’s Saturn-era graphics and the physics and driving model are what you’d expect from an arcade racer way back. And as it’s an arcade game, you only have 3 race tracks, one of which is a short and simple oval course. I don’t consider the option to play them in mirror mode as a big content boost.

Yeah, it was a spectacular arcade racer at the time, but there’s not really any reason to play it now but nostalgia.

As someone who didn’t grow up with it and who only really likes a handful of racing games, I found Daytona USA to still be extremely appealing when I picked up the Xbox 360 port on sale several years ago. It never stopped being a spectacular racing game.

I’ve got somewhat similar behavior. Turning on my Xbox often turns on the AppleTV and switches the LG OLED to display the AppleTV not the Xbox. I switch the TV back to the Xbox using the big (X) symbol button on the Xbox controller (not sure that may have required doing some setup on the Xbox).

I don’t recall seeing your other behavior though. When I turn the Xbox off, everything turns off, and at least so far it stays off.

Yup, happens to me too. Super annoying

It’s one of the greatest arcade games ever made and still 100% holds up today. You still find it in all sorts of places because it’s just that good. It’s not “nostalgia”. Your horse is too high.

I just think it’s been obsoleted, to use Tom’s favourite term. It’s a fantastic quarter-guzzling arcade racer, but it’s extremely simple and content-thin and like most such games was never designed to be played for more than a few minutes at a time. There are now countless arcade-style racers that are just as fun to drive but also offer more tracks, more cars, better graphics and even career modes if you want them. It may have them beat on the music front, I’ll grant.

As something to play in an arcade it might hold up, as a game to play on a PC or Xbox than it’s outdated and there are better options.

I don’t know if it’s on Xbox but those looking for an old school arcade racing experience could do a lot worse than Horizon Chase Turbo. It ate a whole Sunday of mine a few years ago.

More this and more that in games that are completely inferior in carefully crafted track design, nuanced handling, and presentation are wasting your time.

But I get it. Some people can’t help but look at videogames through the lens of software iteration, thinking that more features and more content somehow makes things “better”.

In this case, it absolutely does not. Daytona USA, Sega Rally, Scud Race/Super GT, Daytona 2: Battle on the Edge, and Toshihiro Nagoshi’s last arcade racer F-Zero AX/GX have few equals, and among them most were from NAMCO.

I read that Daytona isn’t being taken down until the 7th, but it’s not available from the store on my Series X. Do I have to jump thru hoops somehow to get this thing?

I had to get it from the website just now. On Xbox One and Series X it said it wasn’t available. Right now I don’t have my 360 controller handy in the living room to get it on the 360, so I got it on the website using my phone.

Don’t know if this is related to what you guys are talking about, but I was playing Lonely Mountains Downhill on my Series X yesterday and was trying to quit out of the game in order to install some free DLC, when somehow the controller turned itself off (and I don’t think it was because of a low battery).

At that point, instead of the console staying on and just displaying a message to connect a controller, it stayed on but lost the connection to the TV, so “no signal.”

I had to hit the power button on the console to bring everything back.

I’m curious now. What website exactly. I looked for Daytona USA on the Windows store and didn’t find it. Xbox.com maybe? Ah, apparently so.

That sounds like a different, more annoying bug.

Ok, so I really do own most games on this list, especially now that I also got Daytona USA. But now I’m finding out Lost Odyssey has DLC? So I guess that will stop being available too? First of all, I had no idea until now that it had DLC.

From the Wiki:

Triple Bonus Pack

The first DLC for Lost Odyssey was released on April 25, 2008, for 200 MS points.[1]

This content includes a new dream, the Killer Machine ring, and the Memory Lamp item, which allows access to previously viewed cutscenes via a console on the Nautilus ship.

Seeker of the Deep

The second piece download for Lost Odyssey was released on May 23, 2008, for 400 MS points, now available for 80 MS points.[2]

This content includes a new dungeon, the Experimental Staff Remains, and 6 additional Achievements. There are 26 floors, with new enemies on each of the first 25, and a new boss, Killalon on the 26th. You can also find and receive new Rings, equipment, and items (including Slot Seeds).

Edit: Triple pack must have been free at some point, I already owned it. I just bought Seeker of the Deep from the website for $1.

Yeah, I don’t see myself ever going back to Lost Odyssey. I’m ok to let that one slide on by. But I am wrestling with whether I want to (re) buy the Left 4 Dead games. I got rid of my physical copies years ago, I was pretty burned out on those games. But my problem is that I haven’t really found a replacement, a game that obsoletes the gameplay in the Left 4 Dead games. I guess it’s conceivable that my friends and I may want to revisit those games. But I wouldn’t call it likely, though it might be nice to have the option. I don’t know but I need to decide fast.

I don’t get why people haven’t moved on to other L4D games. Back 4 Blood and Aliens Fireteam, while not perfect, are good games. There’s also the Sniper zombie games and World War Z. As well the only successful one is Dead by Daylight, but that’s more like Evolve than L4D, the 4v1 thing. Also, B4B and Sniper Zombie is on Gamepass.

I’ve tried Back 4 Blood and Aliens: Fireteam and neither held my interest. I have not tried Dead by Daylight, but as you mention that was more a 1 vs 4 PVP rather than a 4 vs zombies PVE game, not what I’m after. I have no idea what a sniper zombie game is.

I meant Zombie Army 4, which is made by the Sniper Elite people. I would recommend just playing Left 4 Dead 2 mods. If Back 4 Blood isn’t enough (made by the original L4D team!), I don’t know what else is out there. You’re not alone, there’s alot of people who feel the same way. But I feel people just have unreal expectations with these games. Oh there’s also Rainbow Six Extraction which is a much slower paced Left 4 Dead also on gamepass.

What games do hold your interest or what specifically about Left 4 Dead hasn’t been replicated by these games. I’m interested to know what is the L4D secret that countless games I think do it well, but miss. I’m speaking generally, becaue a ton of these games have floundered and I have no idea why. I really do think those games are good am surprised not even one of them has hit. Though I do think its mainly oversaturation and a crowded market vying for peoples time, than the game itself i suppose.