XCOM 2: War of the Chosen's leaderboard may be the end of diplomacy

Yea, Mind control rarely happens to me as that is the one thing I work against first and as quickly as possible.

Flashbangs and some other status inducing weapons will prevent those units from using mind control (and most other abilities) for 1 round.

I pretty much just make sure I have some explosive options available and nuke the mind controller with extreme overkill.

When your psi guys get mind control themselves they can mind control the alien mind controller who can then mind control another alien. 2 for the price of 1!

Suck it, Advent.

Whoa, impressed!

Nice!

Congrats!

Wasn’t sure where else to put this question: Are we at the point yet where a thread on Phoenix Point seems appropriate?

Well, this seems a nice place to put it Mr @easytarget ;-)

haha, ah good, so there is a thread already on it, I just had a search fail looking for it.

Steam just updated me that XCOM 2 and XCOM 2: War of the Chosen are both on sale for anyone who still hasn’t picked them up:

I just put this on my wishlist today so it must be my fault! :P Without reading all 472 posts in the thread I assume most people here give it a thumbs up? I watched the Worth a Buy review from two years ago and he really disliked the timer on many missions saying it was so short your only strategy was a mad dash to the objective(s). Is that still there or can you override it? Thanks.

Edit - My alternate purchase might be Battletech but that seems like it needs work right now.

Is it worth it? Yes.

In re: His criticism- No. He should have simply lowered the difficulty level.

Can you override the timer? - No. Nor should you, as it would break the game.

edit: by the way, you CAN override the timer by modding your game.

There is a mod that adds some time to the timers.

I never failed a single mission because of the timer and I generally felt like they contributed to the fun.

If you’re concerned about it, there’s an easy early squad upgrade to grab that gives you a little more early mission movement that can help take the edge off:
Lightning Strike - Units gain +3 mobility for the first 2 turns of battle, while the squad is in concealment.

I feel like the game really opens up once you open yourself up to more aggressive flanking and melee options and the timers can help you get out of that shell. Just turtling and inching forward until you activate a pod is boooooring.

OK, thanks. Was thinking of just getting the base game for now and adding stuff later if I like it. I think it’s free to play on Steam for a couple of days so I’ll definitely check it out.

Base game is definitely worth checking out at that price. Still waiting for a better discount on War of the Chosen myself though.

I didn’t think they were too punishing. They made it so I didn’t creep forward, but it’s not like I needed to sprint every turn or anything. I think there are mods for it. They game was definitely worth getting.

Go for Digital Deluxe for $25. It has the Alien Hunters and Shen’s Last Gift DLCs.

I think War of the Chosen is better for a second playthrough, anyway.