Yankovic Biopic with Daniel Radcliffe on...the Roku? That's weird.

So far I’ve looked for the Roku app on Xbox, Playstation and my Apple TV device. No luck so far. I don’t really want to watch the movie on my computer or my phone, so I guess this will have to wait until I have a device that can play it.

Not to state the obvious, but did you check your TV TV? If it’s a TCL or certain other models, Roku is baked in.

My TV is a Sharp from 2008 or 2009. It’s a great TV! I like the fact that it has no Smart TV features!

Roku Express, $17.

And Amazon has a 30-day return policy. Not suggesting you buy it, watch the movie, and send it back. Just in case you don’t like Roku. Yeah, that’s what I’m saying.

You can watch it well enough on AppleTV by playing it on your mobile device with the Roku app and then sending the output to the AppleTV via AirPlay FWIW.

I think Airplay only works on Apple phones. Android phone here. And my Chromecast stopped working a couple of years ago.

Welcome to the modern digital utopia!!!

sigh

You can stream from your PC and I think your Android phone to an Xbox.

I watched it off the Roku website, easy enough when my computer is hooked up to the TV anyway. Kudos to Roku for not requiring a bunch of hoops to get to it, unlike pretty much every other service out there.

Loved the show. Every time a song idea came up was hilarious. I only wish they’d worked in Dare To Be Stupid somehow.

Put your head in the microwave and get yourself a tan, my brother.

That was a really fun watch. The Eat It gag was inspired.

I am NOT the target audience for this movie. I’ve never understood the appeal of parody songs, and while Weird Al Yankovic sure seems like a super nice guy, he and I don’t seem to share the same sense of humor. I simply don’t “get” him the way I don’t “get” Mel Brooks or Tyler Perry or the Absolutely Fabulous ladies: they’re so culturally specific that I fully understand why people think they’re hilarious, but I’m simply not one of those people. But I understand why he’s beloved among Midwesterners with accordians.

Also I don’t think I’m a Daniel Radcliffe fan. Everything I see him do seems to scream, “I’m not just a boy wizard! Honest I’m not! I can act for real!”

So I sure as heck wasn’t going to mess with figuring out how to watch this thing. Until Kellywand demanded that I see it. And when Kellywand demands something, I’ve learned not to fight it.

So I watch the movie and the backstories behind the songs were totally hilarious, starting with the awesome My Sharona/Bologna bit. That absolutely worked for me! I was with it all the way, and it was the same with the other parody backstories. Great stuff! And even the “I’m ONLY going to create ORIGINAL MATERIAL from now on!” gags that carried the movie through. That stuff was great, especially as the movie leaned harder and harder into it, along with the evil Madonna, and the Toby Huss evil but eventually redeemed dad, and Julianne Nicholson reprising her mother character from Blonde. Really, the whole cast was great for how much they were in on the joke, for how well they channeled the script’s sense of humor. Radcliffe as well. I’m not sure I can extend him Real Actor cred just yet, but it sure was fun watching him exercise (exorcise?) his inner dork.

So, yep, put me down as a big fan of this movie. I had to be cajoled into watching it, but I’m sure glad I did. And I think I discovered that I was wrong about not “getting” Weird Al, because I think I recognized every pop reference at that pool party scene (Was the redhead with the beehive hairdo supposed to be from the B-52s? She was the only one I was unsure about.). But that pool party seemed to be where a Weird Al fan could verify his bona fides, a sort of nod to the cultural setting that cultivated Weird Al’s sense of humor. And I could see exactly where he was coming from in that scene. Literally. What’s not to get?

Similarly, I could see the Jim Morrison riff coming from a mile away, but not the punchline, which was brilliant. I even immediately recognized Weird Al himself as the record company exec, and I especially liked that he was graciously playing the straight man to Will Forte. So if I’m understanding all these jokes, if I’m catching all these references, if I’m laughing at this stuff, am I still allowed to say I don’t “get” Weird Al? If the point is that he and I are both dorks who grew up on this stuff, isn’t Weird Al basically me, and I’m basically Weird Al? I think I learned a lot about myself watching this movie. :)

You should ride that high and go watch Blazing saddles, or Dracula, dead and loving it.

Wow! I totally gotta watch this now!

An amusing aspect of this – which I’m surprised was ignored because the documentary was in every other way 100% factual! – is that Al’s always had originals. All the way back to songs like “Such a Groovy Guy” on his first album through classics like “The Biggest Ball of Twine in Minnesota” and “Albuquerque.”

But only fans who have purchased his albums know this.

Those same fans can sing every word of the 11 minute, 22 second “Albuquerque.”

Glad you enjoyed it, @tomchick! It’s neat to know that it works outside of Al fandom.

And that gives me an excuse to post a personal favorite:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a0cCRRFi1aA

I totally get that, parody songs are the musical equivalent of a pun, good for a groan but ultimately a pretty low effort of humor. That said, the joy for me was always the joy of Weird Al doing Weird Al, he was having so much fun with it and the videos were great, so I’ve always had a warm feeling towards him. I never would have spent money on an album or really even listened to his music outside of the videos, but he’s a Bob Ross character, even if he’s a bit hackish he’s still just so loveable. I appreciated him for his commitment to his schtick, and also once you see his Behind the Music where he mocks himself for being so normal and yet successful, you love him even more.

The movie is pretty alright. It is probably about 15 minutes too long, but it had enough really smart gags to keep it going.

Evan Rachel Wood as Madonna was just great, and I loved how “weird” they got with that story.

It got a little meandering at some points, but then got back on track for the end. I loved the photos over the credits going from normal “here is al as a kid” to insane photoshops. It was gradual and really made me laugh.

Anyway, definitely worth your time to check it out though. 3/5

I laughed so much. The whole bit about original music where Al reacts as many serious artists did in RL was so well done.

And Paul F Tompkins as Gallagher!

This is the most accurate thing I’ve heard in a while. People that should be caricatures, but are so earnest and genuine, they push beyond that to be icons.