You bought horse armor. You bought loot crates. You'll buy in-game NFTs.

I’m surprised a “rare one-of-a-kind” in-game NFT for it isn’t the weekly giveaway on EGS.

I really like this part on the store too:

My Brother in Christ you are listing the game!

“We have no idea how this happened!”

Look, we rented out our building to a business that sold heroin. We had no idea they would sell heroin out of it.

We don’t recommend the buying or selling of heroine.

Does this mean Epic isn’t taking a cut of the sale? Or is like “It sure would be awful if some kid bought this heroin from the dealer giving me 12% on each deal”.

“do your own research”

Yes, because that’s worked out so well with vaccines, COViD, CRT, et cetera et cetera.

While I wish this (former) Dragon Age dev was correct, I somehow think he isn’t accounting for the accounting departments…

It appears Square Enix is undeterred by all the scams and the utter collapse of the NFT market.

We did it, guys!

Some community members claimed to have spent tens of thousands of dollars on the project. “I spen[t] like 25 eth at 3k” wrote one. “I spen[t] 250k” shared another.

If true, then they’re dumbasses,

NFTs are a honeypot for dumbasses.

But these are NFTs! You own them so you can just use totem in another game. Right?

At very least I assume you have a nifty tchotchke you can display on a shelf.

Well, you know what happens when you assume.

There is no guarantee that your NFT will actually be available since almost all are stored on some web site and not on the block chain.

I think the definition of a NFT is a URL stored on the blockchain. The thing the URL points to is on a server, of course, generally a HTTP server, and you don’t even own any rights to that unless there was a separate license grant.

The NFT is a token stored on the block chain. One could store an actual image on the block chain but costs to do so increase with size so almost everybody stores a URL to point to the object instead of storing the actual object on the chain.

Yeah, in theory, I guess, I just think no one ever does store anything but a URL, so the purchaser has bought a mere address. I don’t even know if there’s liability associated with the URL going away unless there is a separate contract that asserts a right there.

My sarcasm was directed at the pointlessness and lack of underlying value.

At least if you’d paid for a super deluxe extra-elite going-to-the-moon collector’s edition of an actual game that shut down, you’d still have the artbook, music CD, whatever physical crap.