You guys! Check it out! Star Wars Squadrons.... Might it be..?

At the 1:10 mark right after the beam weapons split the frigate? I think it might be.

The guys doing the analysis certainly thought so. I believe so, yes.

Well, the guy talking told you after the trailer. :P
It’s both. The mp will be 5vs5 players (I guess the rest will be AI pilots?)

$40

Yes.

I believe the story takes place after Return of the Jedi.

Feels pretty scuzzy opening pre-orders before there’s even any gameplay footage.

Hmm. $40? I expect lots of in-game purchases then.

Yea why is it only $40 if its SP and MP? Something smells fishy about that. Like is the SP only a few hours long and the MP some stripped down modes that get old fast.

I imagine the single player will be Battlefront style, and probably closer to I than II.

It is EA - did anyone really suspect that this game would not be rife with microtransactions, and follow the exact same trajectory as the latest Star Wars games?

This is what they do - They dont care about the game, the setting or the players - they just want your money, and games is the easiest way to get them for EA right now.

At least the microtransactions seem to be about cosmetics only. From the steam page:

So you have common, rare and epic skins, decals and flight suits I guess. That’s not so bad.

Hopefully it will help them finance a game with a good single player campaign. Hopefully they’ll earn enough from it to finance more Star Wars space sims. I could see starfighter skins being popular enough to earn them some money if there are good ones, and the multiplayer gameplay is compelling.

How are you supposed to show off your rare flight suit from inside the cockpit of an A-Wing or TIE Fighter?

I guess we will see - I know that they have stated no microtransactions, but at this point, I really, really really dont trust them to mean what we think it means when they say that.

The rarities speak to lootboxes being there, and I am fairly certain they will want to monetize that somehow.

I would love to be wrong, because the world needs great Star Wars games, but I really, really, dont think so.

“Hi guys, please buy our game. We can’t actually show you it at all, but we have designed and know exactly how rare each of our cosmetic items is.”

Shit that worries me. I don’t think EA is in the business of just wanting everyone to have an affordable game.

I don’t know, given the HUGE amount of content that you got with Battlefront 2 for $60, it seems wise to lower the price a bit, given how much space content you got with that one already. Especially if they’re working from an existing game, and have the spaceship models etc already.

My guess is that they debated internally whether to call it a “standalone expansion” for BF2 and decided to give it a fresh brand instead.

I don’t expect this to be a whole AAA game, I think that’s why it’s $40.

So the developer is the one behind the Plants vs. Zombie games. Some fun titles but moving to this is definitely a change.

Why wouldn’t they make it a whole AAA game? They know people have been salivating like crazy for something like this. Confusing.

There’s really only one line of thinking for a company like EA that results in this game being $40, and that’s that they fear that if people paid $60 they’d be disappointed in the amount of content in it.

Which is fine, since I don’t think every game needs to have a 40-hour campaign, co-op multiplayer, and a BR mode.

As long as people aren’t still disappointed that they only paid $40 because there’s so little content.

Because they don’t care. Minimum effort for maximum gain - Its what happens when a company is run by big corporations and board meetings.

Now - the DEVELOPERS may be different, and can sometimes make a difference, as is seen with Respawns Jedi game, but I am not confident that is happening here.

I mean, there mere fact that there is NO gameplay, and pre-orders are up is just such a classic EA move.