Your Dream Game!

No sequels allowed. We can do better than that.

Board games or videogames.

Here’s mine: A wargame for 2 players that is about the final battle in Roger Zelazny’s Lord of Light. In practice I think it would look like some of the scenarios in the old Dragon Pass wargame.

Players would either represent the Hindu Gods or Sam’s assorted Rebels. The forces of the Necromancer would be a non-player faction that could theoretically cause a group loss.

Virtually every God or Hero would have special rules representing their Aspect. There might be side scenarios that acted almost like role playing game missions, with one player controlling a small group of Unique individuals trying to accomplish various quests.

What’s your Big Idea?

Hey not to poop on your idea but I could swear we’ve done this before. Or else I hijacked a thread to rant about games I wanted to play that don’t exist, which is not outside the realm of possibility.

I want a gorgeous, isometric party-based RPG that uses the DnD 5th edition rules. Create your party of adventurers or use existing, voiced NPC’s that have back stories and side quests, your choice. Explore a massive map, with sprawling towns and hidden dungeons, in an open world setting where you can set off and explore, or follow a central story. No level scaling, or not a lot of it anyway unless opted-in, just a big, static world to explore with your party.

Eventually, the game shifts and you start to manage not just one party, but a mercenary company. How your company is perceived in the world is where the meat of your actions, decisions, and how you completed (or if you completed) side quests come in. Your company can earn renknown as well, which can bring with it different rewards, like famous heroes wanting to join.

You are at this point sending parties of characters (created or existing in the world that joined you) around to complete missions, and you can opt-in to control those parties on those missions, or let the AI simulate the adventure.

I am envisioning this world being open and big and lots of hand-made pieces but also a lot of the game world is randomly generated, from factions to biomes to types and ecologies of monsters. Sort of like Baldur’s Gate meets Battle Brothers.

Anyway, that’s something I would want.

STALKER 2–

–well, forget it.

We have done this recently, except I think the criteria were different, if this one excludes sequels.

Aw, rats. Sorry, I missed that one.

We’ve done this before, but anyway my dream game has always been and continues to be THE ULTIMATE RPG. An endlessly evolving simulated world, gameplay that somehow combines the infinite possibility of procedural generation with coherent themes and lore, and a macro scale that places your actions in the context of politics, climate, and war.

Failing that, I’ve lately been wanting to see a big-scale, deep CRPG set in a fully realized Greco Roman setting. Such games are rare (Titan Quest and Nethergate come to mind, but one is an ARPG while the other is a bit on the scant-budgeted side). Questing through Trajan’s Roman Empire with ancient supernatural elements lingering in the darker reaches of the realm (Crete, Scotland, Egypt, etc.) would be a fun ride.

Competitive Legacy Deckbuilding Civ/Empires game.

This again eh? I want someone to graft a strategy/RPG/Management layer onto DCS world. Ever since I got back into flight simming, I long for the Good Old Days when flight sims were not just sims but also games. DCS is modular enough that it might even be possible to build a module that made a game using the sim as a battle resolver.

I want to manage my squadron like my XCOM squad. They have personalities and stats that improve with training and experience. I want to wage battle where I have to pick my own targets, plan my flight, assign pilots to the planes and then fly it myself as a part of the plan.

That’s my dream game. All the other stuff my dream game has (VR, all the buttons and flight dynamic quirky detailing, lots of different interesting jets, etc), DCS already has.

• Fury of Dracula as a PC game but with more RPG elements and tactical combat and throw in the mummy, werewolves, and other classic b movie monsters of the Victorian area and include recruitable allies like Sherlock Holmes. Basically, all the best of Victorian age in one game with hunters being the primary theme, finding Dracula his coffins and discovering the world of the supernatural

• or/Also Monster Hunter International as a boardgame/pc game. Tactical combat may like Space Cadets Away mission but with modern military hardware and Owen Pitt as the combat accountant, Harbinger as the hunter/werewolf Julie the sniper, and Trip’s ability to hurt /repel undead with his faith.

OK I like Monster Hunter themes :)

• Superhero boardgame mash of Agents of Smersh with Arkham horror, with secret Identities and fighting evil

OR

• Guardians Agents of Justice Computer game actually made :)

• Build your own monster and rampage …kind of Monsters Menace America but you choose your own custom powers and rampage bigger and bigger cities as you power up and gain new abilities. This can be either PC or boardgame

• Car Wars as a traditional boardgame, maybe a semi campaign mode but with a board and a game that can be played in a few hours with a clear setup and ending. Also like to see this as a computer game

• A Mass effect boardgame kind of a mash up Star Trek adventures where you have classic encounters (ala Fallout boardgame) and gain influence with the different factions of the galaxy with choose your own adventure story type encounters and multiple choices. When time runs out the galaxy you were running around becomes a light version of ‘space’ ogre where you are fighting with the allies you gathered to push back the ogre like Reapers.

League of Extraordinary Gentlemen vs. Fury of Dracula!

That sounds a little like Age of Rivals, in case you haven’t heard of it.

My dream game is a modern day politics and diplomacy simulator with really interesting and detailed systems that simulate the world and what it is like to be a modern politician.

I want a game called “Salem: Witch Hunt”. You play as a witch, obviously, evolving your skills etc as well as trying to stay hidden from the hunters. You’ll have to make choices during the game that defines if you’ll be a “good or bad” witch.

I wanted this to be an open world game first, but I think I’ve been playing a little too many open world games lately, so I wouldn’t mind it to be a bit more streamlined. BUT - I think this kind of game has to have side quests and maps etc.

Oh and it needs to be GORGEOUS and kind of dark.

@David2 I want your Fury of Dracula game as well. I love the sound of it.

My dream game would be something like an open world game where you could build whatever you want and there were large NPC factions (think nations) that you could interact with and really influence.

As a starting point, think of heavily modded minecraft with the above added in. You would be some kind of super citizen and would join up with a nation, help it out, and help it conquer the world. These nations would not just be static, they too would be building stuff. It would have to be a living, evolving world, where your actions as a player have a major impact of how things unfold.

I’m not really imaginative enough to come up a full game description but I want to play this:

And in general I am just down for there being a lot more 3-4 hour games that tell a fantastic story in an innovative way. So probably my dream game is something that I can’t really conceive of because it’ll feature mechanics and ideas that don’t exist in games that have already been made.

Here’s my dream game. First the game must be an open world and with a very large map. Skyrim size would be a minimum, Daggerfall size would be preferred. The map can be procedurally generated with lots of places to explore like the Eldar Scroll or Fallout games. Most of the interior places can be procedurally generated, however certain quest areas would be hand drawn or procedurally generated with very narrow parameters to ensure consistency. More on quests later. Basically the map must be large with lots of places to explore.

At first I was thinking that the game could be a FPS type game, but a 3d third person game with the capability of being able to control 4 – 6 people would be better.

The rpg elements would be similar to State of Decay where your character gains proficiency’s, but doesn’t become godlike. In fact you would need to build your own community or join a faction to survive and then be able to play any character within that Faction that’s not restricted to being an NPC, because your original character can die. Obviously you wouldn’t want to play a farmer, cook or guard because that would become boring real quick, but you may need them if you choose to form a settlement. You could also form a small group to go out and explore or do quests. Your characters would have specializations for example a melee fighter would have to choose between 1 handed weapons or 2 handed as their primary proficiency. For their secondary proficiency you can choose between a ranged weapon or a hand held proficiency not chosen as your primary. Each proficiency would have 6 stars and your primary proficiency could reach 6 stars while your secondary could only go as high as 3 stars. Each proficiency would have sub groups. For instance 1 hand weapon would be divided into edge and blunt weapons and 2 handed weapons would be broken down to edge, blunt and pole arm.

Communities are the place where your PC’s live. The community could be a house where you live, a cave for your bandit thugs, an outpost, village, town, city or some combination of them.

Most quests would be procedurally generated, but there would be a large number of hand crafted quests that came with handcrafted dungeons or very strict procedurally generated parameters so the quests would make sense and be consistent. There would be about 100 hand crafted quest and only 25 to 50 of them would be in the game at a time. The procedurally generated quests would need to be local, i.e. Joe in Eastville wants you to beat up Fred. Fred should be nearby not in Westville on the other side of the map. Not that it shouldn’t happen just that it should be super rare that it does. A big gripe of mine was getting a quest on one side of the map and halving to cross the entire map to solve it and then trek back to turn it in. Also your quest log would be limited to only 5 quests at a time and some might even be timed.

Factions would come in all sizes from small nation states to bandit camps or trade caravans. Every NPC you encounter would belong to a faction, whether the NPC is independent or belongs to a nation state. NPC’s could be convinced to join you, but a faction leader would have a very low probability.
Settings in this game could be as much fun as the game, at least for those who like to tweak. There would be settings for map size, type and etc. Same with factions, you would be able to set the number of, size of each one, whether they are a nation, bandits, caravan or many other types.

Finally this would be a dynamic open world game where you could do pretty much what you wanted. You could be a small adventurer group just exploring the world or you could try to establish your own nation state, it’s up to you. Factions would grow or contract or even be eliminated. The graphics wouldn’t need to be state of the art, but shouldn’t be a throwback to the 90’s. When starting the game you would create 1 character and you would need to meet and recruit all the rest.

Any way that’s my dream game. It’s completely open, dynamic, no main story and it’s replayable because the world is different, unless you use the same seed, each time you play it.

The problem with procedural content generation is that it is not interesting to explore once you start to see the patterns. Perhaps this is the next big game problem to solve. It certainly would be an interesting problem to solve. Id love to be on the team that had the time and money to do that.

Maybe if the content could be sourced from curated community members, that might go a ways towards keeping up the variety. Although of course that leads to payment issues.