Your favorite MCU movie

I am trying to find out which ones to watch, and which ones I can skip without missing out. Not sure if this poll will help, but fire away… between 3 to 5 options allowed.

• Iron Man (2008)
  • Iron Man 2 (2010)
  • Thor (2011) and Thor: The Dark Kingdom (2013)
  • Captain America: The First Avenger (2011)
  • The Avengers (2012)
  • Iron Man 3 (2013)
  • The Return of the First Avenger (2014)
  • Guardians of the Galaxy (2014)
  • Avengers: Age of Ultron (2015)
  • Ant-Man (2015) and Ant-Man and the Wasp (2018)
  • The First Avenger: Civil War (2016)
  • Doctor Strange (2016)
  • Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 (2017)
  • Spider-Man: Homecoming (2017)
  • Thor: Ragnarok (2017)
  • Black Panther (2018)
  • Avengers: Infinity War (2018)
  • Captain Marvel (2019)
  • Avengers: Endgame (2019)
  • Spider-Man: Far from Home (2019)

0 voters

edit: wtf, only 20 options allowed, hm I joined Thor 1/2 and Ant-Man 1/2 and skiped the incredible hulk.

Where have you been living? Did you know there is a pandemic going on? :)

don’t get it, what has this to do with that?

It’s hard to find people who haven’t seen any of the MCU films so I attempted to make a joke on you being one of them.

ah ok, get it now. I watched maybe 7-8 of them, and I didn’t like half of them. I am not completely out of touch ;)

Infinity War & Endgame should definitely be one entry as its a twoparter.

Do yourself and just watch Iron Man 1 and skip the rest. Then watch Deadpool and Logan and call it a day. The MCU is bad. Like, really bad.

Lies. Cap 2 and Thor 3 are great. Guardians is a lot of fun. Black Panther has some fantastic individual performances. Brie Larson wears a NIN t-shirt.

I agree, but he can also watch Spiderman into the Spider-verse, which is amazing and missing in his list.

I did find a lot to like in the first half of Guardians of the Galaxy too.

Ah come on. Iron Man 3, “Return of the First Avenger” (though I’ve never seen Winter Soldier referred to that way before), Spider-Man: Homecoming and Black Panther were all awesome. With some caveats for each one. No movie can be perfect. Though Return of the First Avenger came closest.

Captain America: Winter Solider is indeed the best Marvel movie, though it will be a bit better if you see the first Captain America movie beforehand (which is somewhere in the middle of the pack.)

That applies to several of the movies - they feed off the other films. Thor: Ragnarok (say) is a lot of fun* but will probably be incomprehensible if you aren’t already familiar with the concepts and characters. Some of the movies are better jumping-on points than others, and the best ones are probably Guardians of the Galaxy and the first Iron Man. Doctor Strange and Ant-man are also quite self-contained (as is Black Panther, though there is a lot of worldbuilding to absorb if you’re not already up to speed on some of the Wakanda lore.) Whatever you do, don’t start with any Avengers movie other than the first one, or Civil War: those are all about connections to other movies.

*Though, while Ragnarok is fun, it’s not actually a very good movie, as I’ve said before. Really, it’s not; it moves down my list every time I see it. During the pandemic I did a rewatch of all the MCU movies and it’s now firmly mired in the bottom quarter. Though it is the best Thor movie.

Deadpool, Logan, Guardians of the Galaxy are the only comic book movies you need.

Winter Soldier for sure, although I can’t stand the video gamey “you must disable three helicarriers!” objective (but it still produced good moments.)

We should make a thread: “Best screen adaptations with comic book source material”. Maybe I’ll do that later today. I wouldn’t put Guardians of the Galaxy on the list. Might include Road to Perdition and The End of the F**king World.

Thor: Ragnarok is the best MCU film by an absurdly wide margin. Like, laughably so. God I fucking love Thor: Ragnarok.

After that, Black Panther, Spiderman: Homecoming, Iron Man 1, Guardians of the Galaxy, and Captain Marvel are all some of my favorites. I never really got the hyper-fixation on Winter Soldier/Civil War though I liked 'em both well enough, really disliked the GotG sequel, and walked away from most of the Avengers movies pretty disappointed/indifferent. Stuff like Ant Man and Doctor Strange occupy middling territory for me (enjoyed em just fine, but unlikely to watch em again outside the context of a full-series viewing), while the first two Thor films eternally vie for my most hated MCU flicks :)

There’s people that like Civil War? Someone speak up for that movie!

Apparently a quarter of our voters so far!

Parts of it really drag, but around the time Ant-Man shows up and they have the big airport brawl is one of the best sequences in all of the MCU. Also, great introduction to the MCU Spider-Man.

There are also some who really were affected by (spoiler!) the villain apparently winning in this one. Captain America was, in a sense, corrupted through his virtues, namely loyalty.

I guess none of it sat right with me emotionally. I just wasn’t engaged in it because it all felt very contrived, and since I wasn’t engaged in the story, the action scenes never felt exciting either. One goes hand-in-hand with the other. It’s my least favorite MCU movie.

Interesting, I saw Stark as the antagonist here. He’s the one that changed position, without consulting the others, and expected them all to fall in line. Which was completely in character. Well done MCU, heroes with human flaws is basically the Marvel trademark.