Your next car game is Wreckfest

It’s not VR compatible is it?

Sorry, not sure. I’m playing off my LCD.

Not natively. I’ve seen someone playing it in VR using something called vorpx, but I don’t know what that means and I don’t know how good it is.

For anyone who’s interested in this GreenManGaming currently has a sale for the basegame and the season pass stuff (which isn’t needed, given how many cars you get from career mode and from Fame points in the tournament reward shop).

The base game is showing as $11.25 for me.

However, the little bar in the corner of the sale says the deal only has two more hours to run.

The combine harvester needs seatbelts.

Also, @Misguided rocking in his seat trying to get his car to go faster…

Lol, I don’t have any cars set up to go particularly fast. It’s like you guys think this is a racing game or something 🤣

You can tell the people who take it too seriously, because they have an armour setup, a speed setup and a hybrid setup at every class level.

And then they buy cars that are a class above the desired final class and armour them until they drop a down into the class you want.

Not that I’d know anything about that.

I’m using just such a car above, I do believe. But I haven’t gone and modified stuff so it sits right on the border between classes or anything

Wow this music is awful.

Plus the gameplay. Just tens of minutes driving into other cars, trying to damage them. I just couldn’t take it after the second mission.

Ahh, that’s not fair. Only 1/10th of the game is actual destruction derby. You are missing some great tracks and racing. It opens up quickly, I don’t get the hate. This game brings the laughs.

It really does. Muscle through the derbies.

It’s not hate, it’s boredom. I guess I just don’t have the “entertained by cars crashing into each other” gene. Or the “entertained by tractors crashing into each other” gene.

In real life, it was the same. I would still go, because it was fun to hang out with friends and eat funnel cakes and just be outside with people. But it was so loud, and cars crashing into each other, I don’t know, I just don’t understand what’s entertaining about it. And since it was so loud, I couldn’t talk to my friends during the event either, so that’s another mark against it.

I don’t run any destruction derbies because the smashing-for-its-own-sake isn’t of interest to me, so I just do races and the game really shines there.

How do you feel about racing games with serious physics and different cars with tons of personality? That seems like the sort of thing that would be up your alley, and it’s the foundation for Wreckfest. It’s got a lot more going for it than cars banging into each other!

-Tom

Like I said, I played two missions, and that’s the two things that were in it. I couldn’t take anymore so I uninstalled it. How much torture do I have to endure to get to this fabled racing game within Wreckfest?

Edit: And just to be clear, this wasn’t five minutes or something. I was trying to crash cars and wreck them for something like half an hour, because apparently cars are really strong.

Edit2: And at the end of the 30+ minutes, the other remaining car beat me. Might as well get the full shame out there.

If you cant plow through the one to 2 smash up derby “missions” out of the 10-20 in each division Multiplayer is available from the get go. You can earn cash for unlocks in multiplayer as well as single player irc. It’s my favorite racing game of the last few years but i’m no racing game expert so ymmv.

However, it sounds like the real life one traumatized you or something so maybe this ones just not for you :)

I downloaded the demo on Xbox, started the career which began with a lawnmower demolition which I immediately hated and was thinking @Rock8man was right. I kept playing though and found the races really fun. I had been playing Forza 3 earlier and the low-speed dirt races were a nice change of pace.

Looks like there is an enhanced PS5 version, but only if you subscribe, so I guess I will go with the Xbox version.

It’s on game pass, so I installed it on Xbox Series X again and continued. I finally figured out the main menu, which seems like a bunch of events, but it looks like it’s semi-linear progression through events, because most events have a “restriction” that’s displayed in red, and I’m guessing that’s something you earn by doing earlier events. Anyway, I finally noticed in the menu this time that the events are name “Demolition Derby” or “Demolition Race” that type of thing, so I did three different races yesterday.

I turned the difficulty to hard to turn off the assists. This early in the campaign all the AI is set on Novice. I’m assuming that will change later. On Novice, it seems like I just drive around and get ahead and stay ahead. I was thinking it was going to be very interesting when on a second or 3rd lap of the race, someone behind me had crashed into tires on the side of the track and they were spread all over the track. But it seems like it’s a cosmetic thing only? Driving on tires is the same as driving on the dirt underneath the tires as far as I can tell, so the tires are not interesting after all.

I did crash once and fell behind, and got slammed by a fast car trying to get past me, and that guy got labelled a rival that I could crash into for revenge, that has some potential I guess. But for the rest of the race, I couldn’t really catch up to everyone, so I just restarted the race and didn’t crash this time.

Do you guys just play it out? If you mess up during a race, you just don’t restart, and keep racing even if you don’t come in 1st place?

Anyway, on Novice AI, it’s not interesting yet, so I’m guessing the good stuff is later in the campaign. At this point it’s just about driving at a moderate pace around a dirt track without crashing into anything.