2016 Horror Roundup Thread

I just watched the trailer, fortunately. That was enough to scare me off

A tense and nasty little home invasion thriller, with a nice added wrinkle in the vein of “Wait Until Dark”. It’s apparently premiering on Netflix: entitled Hush. Great sound editing that really helps ratchet up the tension. I love slasher movies with killers that aren’t super-human omniscient monsters. This one is very fallible (and played by the ultra-nice lead assistant guy from The Newsroom…can’t remember his name.).

Fun movie. Recommended.

I don’t know Newsroom, but I know him as the 110% likable charming guy from 10 Cloverfield Lane and Short Term 12. His name is John Gallagher. What a cool surprise. I spent the whole movie wracking my brain trying to think of what I knew him from. Kate Siegel, the female lead, was really good, too. And she co-wrote the script with Mike Flanagan, whose claim to fame is unfortunately Oculus but should be Absentia. He’s had a movie called Before I Wake in distribution limbo for a while, which doesn’t bode well.

Hush reminds me a bit of a grisly little Canadian thriller called Cold Blooded, with the awesome Zoie Palmer. Am I the only one who’s seen that?

-Tom

Hush was a good time. The wife and I watched it a few weeks back. I do wish the killer had remained masked for longer. It somehow lost some of that home invasion\Strangers\creepy vibe once he just became “dude”. I do like what Flanagan\Siegel are doing, though, so I’m looking forward to their next one. Oculus was also strong in a lot of ways, and different from the normal crop of studio horror pics.

I get what you’re saying, but I think that was the point of the script. How it undermined the typical slasher concept, as charmtrap pointed out in his post. My favorite scene in Hush was “dude”, as you call him, trying to work out what he was going to do once the beefy boyfriend showed up. I’ve never seen a scene like that in a horror movie, where the slasher was so keenly aware that he was going to get his ass kicked in a one-on-one fight.

-Tom

Just saw the trailer for a new horror movie coming out this year: Don’t Breathe. Coming out August 26.

If you don’t want to see the trailer (it’s moderately spoiler-y, I’d guess), t’s one of those “victim turns the tables on the aggressors” type of movie. Looks decently creepy and scary but unfortunately a little jumpy too (if you know what I mean).

That was actually my favorite scene of the movie. When I say longer, I mean maybe ten more minutes.

Good Lord, it’s open season on blind and deaf people lately, isn’t it?

Unfortunately, this is true. It looks like it’s going somewhere promising, but then it doesn’t.

Ha ha, you saw Baskin.

Interesting casting for the villain, but otherwise unremarkable.

-Tom

Need to do some additions to the op in this thread (both things people have mentioned and stuff that’s pending). . . later. Want to game for a bit. I don’t think anyone has mentioned Emelie, but it’s 20/2 right now at Rotten Tomatoes and it looks interesting (It’s sweet little Sarah Bolger! Wait what the fuck). Not sure if it’s going to get a wide release. Also we’re a bit over a mouth out from Nicholas Winding Refn’s The Neon Demon, featuring the taller Fanning sister and The Dag (it’s a pretty great cast in fact; Alessandro Nivola, Jena Malone, Christinia Hendricks, Keanu Reeves).

I just watched Southbound. Pretty good. A part of the soundtrack seemed very influenced by It Follows.

Emelie’s on VOD, which is about as wide a release as a movie like that can hope for. I didn’t recognize Sarah Bolger from anything, but she was really riveting in this. A very uncomfortable movie.

-Tom

I have never watched an entire episode of Once Upon a Time. But I once watched about half of one, and she was playing some adorable princess, can’t recall which one. Being guarded by, or allied with, Mulan. That 30 minutes plus her minor role in season 2 of Agent Carter was enough to tell me that (1) I wouldn’t ever spend that long watching Once again (it’s not my jam) (2) She has some chops (3) watching the Emelie trailer after watching her in these other things was unsettling. Like really unsettling.

So I guess I’ll check it out this coming week end.

Caught They Look Like People last night on Netflix. Decent low budget movie.

I do wonder about something (ending spoilers):

The friend that got tied up was an alien, right? It showed the sock that was put in his mouth fall out of the sack covered in blood during that whole sequence. Then, when the bag was taken off, his mouth was still taped up but no sock. I think it would have been better to see the main character look down and see the sock and then pull away from his friend and then credits.

12345…

testtesttest

Caught They Look Like People on Netflix last night. Decent little horror flick. It got my wife to ask “WHAT are you watching?” several times, which is a good sign. :)

ending spoiler

The bloody sock on the floor proves the friend was an alien, right? His mouth was still taped when the bag was taken off

Ninyu, if that’s what it was going for, I didn’t get it. :( I got the impression everything was the exact opposite of what you’re suggesting. The things that Wyatt…

Just go watch the movie already if you haven’t!

…sees and hears aren’t exactly reliable.

-Tom

Go watch it!!

Sure. I just think the director really focused on the sock and the whole action of gagging the friend to just hand wave away the fact that the sock is no longer in his mouth when the bag is removed but there is still tape over his mouth.

I can definitely see your point though.

Another recommendation for They Look Like People.

Final scene…

[spoiler]Ninyu, I went back and watched the last scene. We don’t see the sock actually come out of his mouth, but it’s clearly still in his mouth when the bag comes off. His mouth is open/stuffed - the tape just obscures the sock.

The scene with Mara “changing” scared the piss outa me. And what a great use of a paper bag!
[/spoiler]