2018 Frame Game

I prepped an image… only to discover CraigM had already posted it after I was done!

So here is another one.

frame%201

Gunship 2000?

Gunship 2000.

Gunship%202000

10 seconds into the game, to be precise.

Wow, haven’t played that for most of 25 years, but I instantly recognised that warning light panel. Wouldn’t have got it if you’d shown all of the rest of the cockpit (bar the targeting display). :)

Gorram, finally something I actually recognize and it gets got in 10 seconds lol.

I played so much of that game (and its predecessor) in my youth. :)

Feel free to take my turn if you want a go. I don’t have anything lined up, nor anything inspiring to share. If not, I’ll try to post something in a few hours.

I played a ton of the original Gunship (it was basically the only decent sim on my horrible 8-bits computer), and am in the process of reading the 2000 version’s manual. The game sure seems a lot more complicated!

Oh it was great, it was a heliRPG of sorts. You got a squad of all kinds of choppers and a whole lot of land to conquer. I remember every mission mattering a lot, but that may be my rose-colored glasses.

@rho21 no its yours m8, you sweat one out :p

I had one mission where I went down behind enemy lines. Tail rotor blown up, I think it was, so perfectly survivable, but there was no way I was getting off the ground again. I was going to press escape to end the mission, but the rest of my squad was on the radio blowing up the objective so I let it run to see how they did. Just fine, as it turned out. Mission complete, but I was totally going to be captured and have to reload.

An enemy unit rolled a little closer to my crash site, and I wondered if I could take it out before I quit. And then my wingmate (not the rest of the flight, just him) appeared from nowhere, blew up the enemy unit, then ranged around the area destroying everything within miles of my position. Eventually the area turned out to be safe enough that I could be quit the mission and be rescued.

Surprisingly good AI, awesome emergent gameplay.

When I read that, I can tell this is definitely my next Microprose exploration, after I am done with Knights of the Sky.

I mean you shouldn’t expect to see that sort of thing most of the time. Generally the game is player-driven, with occasional bit parts for your wing (once you’ve even unlocked them). Still, I think it’s worth a look if you’re interested in the material.

Anyway, on with the game.

one

Return Fire?

Oops, forgot to post another one last night. It’s not Return Fire, but perhaps this will help.

two

I want to say something stupid like Pizza Tycoon for some reason.

I wouldn’t call that entirely stupid. Pizza Tycoon it is.

full

Wow. For some reason, the two pieces of center graphics evoked to me “almost 3D rendered and ugly, like Pizza tycoon”.

Next one is super tricky.

frame%201

OH god, Deadlight. I really wanted to like that game because it was amazingly gorgeous, and some of the scenes played great.

Holy christ though that sewer level which took up THE ENTIRE 2ND ACT. You’re enjoying running from hordes of zombies in the gorgeous backgrounds, and the game decides to then stick you in a literal sewer obstacle course for 33% of the game, shooting silly wooden targets with a silly slingshot. It was all so sad.

Virtua Racing?

That’s a nice game.
That’s not this game.

frame%202

Looks like a WW1 flight sim to me. I’ll guess Knights of the Sky just in case, though you mentioned it a few posts back.