Amazon's New World MMO

Global names but staggered server rollout is a really weird idea. I would have made names regional (NA West, NA East, etc) and treated the region as a domain if they have global communication in-game. So to send as message to KevinC on my region I’d just use the name but if I wanted to reach KevinC in Europe I’d message EU.KevinC or whatever.

I don’t understand the value of global names unless they have plans for a single universal megaserver. That seems unlikely for latency reasons, though? Oh well, I’m relieved that my game name isn’t too important to me but yikes if you’re a streamer, big cross-game guild, etc.

I’m going NA East with Eternal. I’m currently set to be in the b team expected to be named EternaI that’s a capital I instead of an l lol. I expect to play enough that I’ll be moved to main squad but even if I don’t I’ll at least have a company at start, unlike beta. This is the company that streamer Pineaqple is on but we are not going to streamer server Sitara, we are going to Eden.

https://twitter.com/pineaqples?s=21

For this reason I have a whole bank of names that I use in online games. If the first one I want is taken I just go down my list until I find one that’s available.

I think it’s as simple as they didn’t think about it, which suggests a lack of mmo development experience.

I wouldn’t be too strong out about it, except for the fact I expect the entirety of my time in game to be on a single character because of the way the systems work. That makes it’s bit more important to me. And because I will be in a guild from day 1, having an in-game name similar to my regular user name is a big plus

feels like a right hand left hand thing. both parts (rolling launch, global names) make sense on their own, but it makes no sense together whatsoever. probably two different depts or people and they never really thought hard about it.

Thanks. So Rapier, Bow, would both benefit from high dex and if started working on a Fire staff my intelligence would also help my rapier.

it looks like mages are more limited than most MMOs, basically just a fire and life, which is really cleric Not much in terms of summoning, illusions, mind control etc.

and Ice Gauntlet (which i preferred to fire staff)

And we know a void gauntlet is coming soon. I don’t expect to see stuff like summoning or illusions though. Not sure those fit the game so much. Maybe a single pet sort of thing, but not like full-on summon builds

Two sleeps til new world!

just one for me! ;)

Now one, or less!

@Misguided, did the guild you were interested in end up picking a server or is it still up in the air?

Finger is firmly hovering above the preorder button. If you’re going to play a game like this, probably better to do it right at launch to get the new mmo excitement.

Yeah, there’s that infectious buzz around a new online game launch. Of course, that also comes with a side of server instability and other shenanigans. :)

Just received my order key. Where are folks playing at launch?

Some of us have a server planned and for others (myself) it’s still up in the air. What region are you in?

I’m east coast, but I can do any US region.

I don’t remember ever ordering this and Amazon just sent me a key for the deluxe version. Did they give this to prime folks? I now have a vague memory of some prime thing ages ago

if you preordered when they announced it and it was going to be a f2p game, they honored those preorders and you got the deluxe version of the full paid game. Pretty amazing customer service there imo. Everyone who preordered for free by clicking a button a few years ago got the $50 version free.

@Charlatan is going with the Wanderers on Falias for US East. @Kadath mentions a little upthread he is in a US East guild as well.

Wow, I missed out! Back then it was a PVP game and I didn’t have any interest.