Amazon's New World MMO

I’ve known about Simutronics and have played Gemstone III/IV and Dragonrealms, and knew they were working on the Hero engine (for their own Hero’s Journey MMO which never came). But I had NO idea that ended up as the Star Wars engine. That’s cool!

Gemstone is something silly like $30/mo for their cheap subscription. Don’t get your MUD on there :)

EDIT: Wait, Anarchy Online?! I misread that as Asheron’s Call. I didn’t think AO made it past its first year, much less 20!!!

Do you have to dial in via phone?

This isn’t Compuserv!

I was there for the de-ICEing. And knew they were still kicking. The community always was serious about roleplaying. Dropped in on the discord a year back or so out of nostalgia. They are now VERY.SERIOUS about roleplaying.

That was a sci-fi MMORPG, right?

Edit: Yep

Yep. Like I said upthread, these things never die. Click on the link in @Grifman 's post to sign up and play for free today! lol

Back on topic, can they really call it a closed beta if anyone can get in by pre-ordering it? Anyway, it’s a good sign that they won’t have an NDA during the beta. They must feel somewhat confident in the game. I’m debating pre-ordering it now.

I think open beta is typically when anyone can download the client and play. In this case it’s closed but pre-order gets you access.

If you can get in via paying I would still call it open, but that’s just internet pedantry.

No, stusser. This isn’t opinion. This is fact. Truth. Justice. I will die on this closed beta hill. You’ll have to pry this terminology out of my warm and sweaty hands.

Sweat makes em slippery, Kev.

Yeah anarchy online was the first instanced MMO solving the issue of spawn camping.

The problem in the game was it was unbalanced and expensive to be the healer. I had to grind solo to be able to afford to heal groups. I played quite a bit (level 70+) then gave up

Except for the fact that (the way I remember it) anything important was in non-instanced areas. I remember people waiting days for their turn to whack a boss.

New world server list for the closed beta. I’m going to be on Finias in the Marauders faction.

• US East
    Xanadu
    Penglai
    Maski
    Olympus
    Yama
    Themiscrya
    Atlantis
    Suddene
    Finias
    Thule
    Nysa

- US West
Pangaia
Kur
Barzakh
El Dorado
Pleroma
Murias
Arali
Aukumea

That’s a fair amount of servers. I wonder if the server populations will be kept low, or if there are this many servers because they think they will have a massive response to the beta.

They should know how many have preordered and otherwise signed up already, so not like they have to guess at potential numbers

Or you announce a crap-ton of servers to make people think there are a bazillion preorders, prompting everyone to jump on the hype train and preorder as well!

I don’t think any actual numbers are known but I have seen articles that say the limit is 1000 players per server and another one saying up to 10,000. I’m just guessing it will be a couple thousand players per server max.

How long is the beta running? They said there would be invites in waves (for non-preorders). I’d think early impressions will heavily impact how many try to get in.