Amazon's New World MMO

The beta is 2 weeks, July 20 through Aug 2.

Beta starts today. Anyone playing? I will be in with some long time guildmates later tonight.

So I think we can talk about the closed beta and I have a lot of questions. If this is supposed to be released in a short period of time, only two classes (tank and sword person)?? Combat feels sorta ESO-like. The graphics are nice - was pretty cool to create your character in the middle of a cut scene and continue as the new character in the scene.

The game controls don’t seem to take advantage of a PC interface, so I am guessing a console port is planned.

I think it’s a very different sort of system than other trinity-based MMOs. Combat is more Souls-like, with consideration for timing being important rather than just mashing skills on cooldown.

It does look like your role is dependent on the weapon you’re using. I saw a breakdown of a fire staff that can make you a ranged damage dealer and a different staff that can make you a healer. Then you can be melee DPS or pick up a gun, or use a shield to be a tank.

Not sure it’s for me (I’m trying to avoid another MMO addiction), but I give them points for trying something a little different.

There aren’t classes. There’s a dozen or so weapons with their own skill trees. You make your own build rather than have classes.

Your post is the first interest I’ve had in New World, and now I need to restrain from looking further at this thread to not get enticed. Trying something different is exactly what is needed.

I plan to, if the servers are still alive after I finish up with work. :)

Close to 200.000 are, which is rather impressive!

Do pre-orders on Amazon come with a product code for Steam? Not seeing one in the emails or in my Amazon Digital Items.

Wondering if I should have pre-ordered on Steam instead.

Yup, that’s how I got one.

OK, this makes more sense now.

Where did your product code show up? Maybe I’m just being impatient, and there’ll be another email, or an update on my Digital Item.

I got an email on the 19th with a steam code in it. When did you pre-order? I think there was a specific date by which you had to have a pre-order in place.

Ah, that’s the problem. I spaced and didn’t complete the order until today.

I’m trying it soon. Tried last night hoping it would unlock at midnight Pacific but to no avail…will be on after work today.

If you ordered from Amazon after the 17th they will let you in in waves probably not today though. People who ordered from Steam have an entry in their Steam library automatically. Both of those pre-orders do not get charged to your credit card (I heard the steam prepurchase shows as a pending charge).

I know the game has changed a lot since I played it last (over a year ago) but the early game is not terribly different. I have been trying out different weapons and seeing what I think of them. The jury is still out!

Anyone planning to stream this?

There are currently 5442 people streaming it on twitch to 235K viewers. Hopefully you’ll find someone you like watching.

I’m sure there are. Was curious any Qt3 folks would be.

I never did preorder this. I hear some folks are getting beta codes to share tho. Anyone got a spare?