Android Games Thread

Ooo. A windows emulator for my tablet does seem like a good way to explore my GoG catalog, but I already bought the Baldur’s Gate and Icewind Dale conversions so I’ve got tens or hundreds of hours of good-old-gaming on my tablet if I ever get around to it.

Did everyone give up on Android gaming?

Edit to add: Oh, 5 months. I misenterpreted March 13. Not as dead as I’d feared.

I’m getting an android tablet soonish, what should I check out?

I just can’t seem to enjoy phone gaming all that much, but then again, I don’t really have any long commutes or anything. I did like 100000000 and You Must Build A Boat a lot, though!

I imagine a lot of it is due to the iOS/Android divide. This thread dies for months at a time, while the iOS games thread (which covers a lot of the same stuff this thread would, simply due to how mobile gaming works) gets bumped regularly.

I have two Android devices - Galaxy S7 and Nexus 7 and rarely game on either. I don’t like playing games on my phone because my fingers are too big. Since I work from home the only real traveling we do is for pleasure once or twice a year, and i might play something on the plane. Mostly I use my tablet to read while on the throne.

I did install an Android emulator onto my desktop a couple of years ago, but all that did was give me more to add to my backlog.

I’ve gotten huge mileage out of the Marvel Unlimited App, which is most of the Marvel comics over six months back, which is superheroes but also all the Star Wars comics since Marvel picked up those rights. In that vein, I bounced off Sentinels of the Multiverse the first time it came out but I’ve been having a blast with it now - it’s a coop card game conversion that now has tons of expansions and just finished kickstarting the second season. I went through Knights of Pen and Paper 2, which was a nice solid RPG. Got partway through EvoCreo, which is pretty almost a clone of Pokemon, which was fun until the novelty of collecting creatures wore off and having to fight off random encounters while wandering through dungeons got old - but definitely worth the buck they’re asking.

So, Amazon emailed me today to tell me that my Amazon Coins are set to expire in less than a week. I have $28 worth of coins, and couldn’t find anything worth spending them on last time I looked. Anyone have any suggestions? I’m open to pretty much anything, and price shouldn’t matter.

Oh yeah, I forgot to mention that the Amazon App Store doesn’t have a lot of the really good Android/iOS mega-hits (or they’re free through Amazon Underground, which defeats the purpose). I was hoping someone here has some experience hunting through there for good stuff, or has run into some hidden gems on there.

Any final fantasy games?

I’m not in the market for mobile ports of Final Fantasy games, especially when I can buy superior versions of every relevant title on PSN and play them on my Vita, and do so for far less than the $16 each they go for on mobile.

So far I’ve looked through some stuff and found…a billion educational apps for three-year-olds. But I also found several board games on sale (including most of the ones in the Pocket Tactics roundup) or at a reasonable price, plus some other stuff I’m interested in. I should be able to get through most of those Amazon Coins from what I’ve found so far, but I’m still open for any (lower-priced) suggestions.

The next step is finding both of my tablets. I’ve only found one so far. :|

Arise once more most moribund thread!

Humble Mobile Bundle has a decent selection of “strategy games” in their current bundle. Anyone know how these things are delivered? Google Play promo code, APK download?

APKs, either installed manually or using an Android downloader app.

Yes, Android games are delivered directly from Humble Bundle. A word of warning: they do not necessarily keep their apps up-to-date with their Play Store counterparts. For example, I bought Neuroshima Hex from HB, and I cannot get the latest updates that I see in the Play Store.

Demon’s Rise is free for the next few days. Admirably, this is in order to make amends for some bugs at release (now patched).

For those who are unfamiliar with this game, it’s an excellent 3D turn based tactical game, sort of like XCom in a fantasy setting. The character classes are particularly cool, your party can include an animated cannon and a walking tree in addition to the various dwarves and wizards. There is also a sequel (not free) in which your party consists of evil characters instead of good.

I’ll check it out. Thanks Magnet.

I’m new to having a modern mobile phone. This isn’t really about games, but what android apps do you find very useful? If people don’t want to clutter up the Android games thread, feel free to PM me.

I currently have:
Polor Flow (for my Polar GPS watch / heartrate monitor)
MyFitnessPal (to track my food intake compared to my activity level).
Amazon Kindle
Amazon Music
Steam (for authentication)
Rayman Jungle Run (game)
Sonic Jump (game)

Other miscellaneous stuff that came on the phone.

Thanks!

Sync for reddit, Facebook/Messenger, Sleep as Android (sleep monitor/fancy alarms), Relax Melodies (night time noise machine), BandsInTown, Evernote, Discord, Slack, Dropbox, Hangouts, Maps, Meetup, Boggle, and the Utopia front end app represent about 95% of my phone’s active usage. Maybe 98%

Google Authenticator (so I can use 2-factor authentication on my Gmail account)
Comixology (much better on a tablet/laptop, but reading on the phone is OK)
NY Times (subscription required)
The Economist (subscription required)
Venmo (mobile payments)
Twitter
Facebook
Seamless (food delivery)
PDAnet (for tethering phone to my laptop when WiFi isn’t available)
Lyft/Uber

Smart Audiobook Player (nest I have used, but I have stuck with it for years now)
Amaze - decent file browser
Washington Post
Blizz Authenticator
Google Authenticator
Android Pay (fuck me am I now on board with mobile payment - if it supports paypass, it supports Android Pay)