Anthem - BioWare's take on Destiny

Kind of forgot E3 was coming. I don’t usually pay much attention to that. I let everyone else get me the skinny. Last time i watched one of those things live was to watch Microsoft and Sony battle over DRM on their consoles.

Yeah, it slipped my mind too for some reason. Guess there isn’t as much I’m looking forward to this year.

I mean, that implies the opposite to some degree as E3 is where we get the announcement of new things.

True but there is usually a fair amount of hype before it, so you and everyone is waiting to see if that’s true. What are the big ones this year? I heard Sony might release info on a new version of their console, is that E3? Anthem isn’t a new game being announced, so I guess just more info.

Yeah, I’m not feeling the hype as much this year. Not that I have zero anticipation, I’m definitely looking forward to stuff like RDR2 and I hope against hope that there will be some info about Starfield from Bethesda, I’m just not feeling the buzz. Maybe it’s just me.

No new consoles this year, so hype is a little lower. In addition, E3’s relevance continues to decline as indies and other companies skip it.

But still some cool stuff to look forward to. We might even get another tech demo for Beyond Good & Evil 2 in advance of its anticipated launch in 20NEVER.

Yeah Beyond Good and Evil 2 would be top of my list but I won’t let myself get excited until I’m sure it’s coming out in the next couple years and that it actually looks anything like it’s trailers.

IMO years where new console hardware is anticipated tends to be the most boring. Because when new console hardware is shown at E3, it’s usually at least 12-18 months away, including the software it’ll ship with, which means another E3 comes and goes with even more shit being announced that I won’t be able to play for a really long time.

The best E3 shows involve unexpected announcements I can play within 6-12 months.

Some years sure but can you really forget when Sony got up and said, this is how you can share a game with your friends, and he hands him the game box… good times, fun memories.

There are usually huge games out there too. Anthem looks fun, promising but it’s not… huge.

Something wants to destroy us all?

Boy, I haven’t heard that before.

Why can’t these aliens do something surprising, like invite us to tea?

Bungie apparently sucks at story, because Destiny was the most boring kind of generic faux techromancer nonsense. Even on visuals alone I found it hugely derivative and uninspired.

Did you ever play a Halo game? If you did, I’m fairly confident you didn’t play for the story. Though they did get better at it as they went along, I did enjoy ODST’s sci-fi noir thing, and the whole Magnificent Seven thing Reach had going on.

I guess my point is that they expended whatever basic level of story / style creativity they had on tap with Halo, and now they’re running on fumes, regurgitating the same stuff over and over with minor tweaks.

They lost Joe Staten during the development of Destiny, the head writer on the Halo games. Not sure who picked up the slack after him, but D1 and D2 were absolute trash in the story departments.

Is funny that you say that…

BioWare fans, look away.

Yeah, I’m addition to the EA demo, there’s a cover story in Game Informer, you can check it out here:

So, to sum up:

• No PvP
  • No AI partners, only other online players
  • No romances
  • Microtransactions are cosmetic only

Because Anthem has a shared world and private hub, the structure of the game naturally splits groups apart. “I jump in and I’m able to do a mission with somebody, and that’s an experience that lasts maybe 20 minutes,” Warner says. “And then the system breaks us apart; I don’t have to say ‘I don’t want to play with you anymore.’ It just does. It breaks us apart and we each go back to our own Fort Tarsis.” Of course, if you and your friends just want to stick together and play for hours on end, you can do that without constantly disbanding and reforming the group.

This kind of reminds of me Monster Hunter but better. If you can end a mission and then do another random group when you’re done, great. If it’s 3-4 friends that just want to spent the night playing the game together, they have a function for that too. If it scales based on player, hate 4 player game when you have only have 3 in your group that have and want to play… sounds good.

I don’t know about others, but i never expected this. I didn’t get the impression this was going to be a full on RPG like their other work.

I haven’t played Monster Hunter, but I’m hoping it’s something like the multiplayer in The Division. It’s just super easy there to drop in and drop out at pretty much any time, and everyone’s progress counts in their own game.