Anthem - BioWare's take on Destiny

Game has more melee than I thought it would… but that combat is so chaotic looking, at least based on that gameplay video. It almost looks like some of the combat in DAIII except you can fly. What was the reason why they chose all this flying around? to be different? to be like Iron Man? I don’t ‘get’ it.

Environments look AWESOME! I will buy a game just for the world they create… even if it doesn’t make sense.

Nvidia released a video where the game don’t look like shit

Is this… the PC version with every setting put to high?

I bought EA Premier a week ago because of Anthem. I enjoyed my time with it in the closed Alpha enough that it pushed me over the edge.The bonus being that my birthday is the 15th of February and this goes live, through Premier, on the 15th. Thanks EA!

And for folks playing on PC, system requirements have been released:

Sigh.

ANTHEM MINIMUM

SYSTEM REQUIREMENTS

• CPU: Intel Core i5 3570 or AMD FX-6350
  • RAM: 8 GB System Memory
  • GPU: NVIDIA GTX 760, AMD Radeon 7970 / R9280X
  • GPU RAM: 2 GB Video Memory
  • HARD DRIVE: At least 50 GB of free space
  • DIRECTX: DirectX 11
ANTHEM RECOMMENDED

SYSTEM REQUIREMENTS

• CPU: Intel Core i7-4790 3.6GHz or AMD Ryzen 3 1300X 3.5 GHz
  • RAM: 16 GB System Memory
  • GPU: NVIDIA GTX 1060/ RTX 2060, AMD RX 480
  • GPU RAM: 4 GB Video Memory
  • HARD DRIVE: At least 50 GB of free space
  • DIRECTX: DirectX 11

I want this to be good for Bioware’s sake, but so far it just looks boring and generic.

Is there some other game called Anthem that I’m not aware of? I’m not following the “generic” talk, are there lots of games that offer flying armor with rockets and lasers? I remember Starsiege: Tribes did, but that’s been a while.

Yeah, this game is totally unlike Destiny. Never even heard of it!

Call me crazy, I say the introduction of a z axis marks a fairly significant contrast with Destiny.

Boosted jumping is already a core part of Destiny. You’re not flying, so it’s not quite the same as Anthem, but the Z-axis is absolutely a part of the experience.

Again, I understand that Anthem is taking this further, but it seems like a difference of degrees—or more specifically, duration. From everything I’ve seen, you’re still very much oriented to the ground, interacting with a lot of enemies on the ground. What I see in the Anthem videos I watch are tactics and movement similar to Destiny jumps and specials in effect, you just don’t have to land between attacks/specials/whatever in Anthem. We’re not talking about a vertigo-inducing, 360º of chaotic combat like Descent or Zone of Enders.

Yeah, I’m pretty familiar with Destiny. I guess it does have that whole “whoa armor” and “make things fall down go boom” in common.

Edit: I’ve never played the game, but Anthem looks more like Warframe to me than Destiny. No idea if you can fly in that game.

You’re crazy. Jetpacks added absolutely nothing to the combat experience in Andromeda and flying won’t add anything here. It’s a gimmick that they can showcase on the back of the box, nothing more.

Your opinion is noted.

I didn’t care for Andromeda, but the verticality combat was one of the few improvements over the original trilogy.

I agree. Didn’t really want to get into a “NO U” argument but I really enjoyed the jetpacks in Andromeda.

For those of you familiar with Ashe from her previous bioware videos, she is now talking about Anthem, and at least for me, covers something I would be curious about if I end up taking the plunge.

At least for me, the similarity isn’t really just the combat thing, but the whole setting and art style. Far-future post-apocalyptic techno-fantasy with everyone using laser rifles and yet dressed in rags and tatters. Anthem leans into the Iron Man powered armour a bit more, but eh.

No Miranda butts on female suit models = no sale. All the BW “characterization” ya need, amirite

Also: that was an awesome Destiny video

If you can tell me what exactly the jetpacks added to the combat experience I’m all ears. Because I played on Insanity or whatever the hardest difficulty in Andromeda was called and found exactly zero reasons to ever leave the ground in combat. The only time I used jetpacks was when the game tried to shove those idiotic exploration platforming sequences down my throat.

I wouldn’t write off the jetpacks in this. The environments in Anthem are far larger and more complex than a Destiny 2 zone. It’s also continuous flight which is far different from the boost jump of Andromeda.