Anyone else playing Demon's Souls?

Maybe it’s been posted here before, but did you guys see the cut content from the broken Archstone; it’s still in the files and the level was fairly completed:

A remaster of Demon’s Souls with the extra level would be awesome.

finally after playing this game since release (more than 10 years), finally I beat the game… (I had a couple of years paused). The “last” boss, King Allant was hard, because it took a few minutes to get to him… but what a game, so huge… I think it was the best PS3 game for me… it is still looking good after so many years.

My to do list looks like

Demons Souls
Dark Souls (80%)
Dark Souls 2 (10%)
Bloodbourne (not started)
Dark Souls 3

I heard this is fully playable in the popular PS3 emulator now. I didn’t look into it, no rush to play it again.

Really? Oh wow. I’ll have to look into it. I really want to finish this game. This game was the only reason I was sad that my PS3 died. If it works like the PS2 emulator where I can rip my PS2 discs to PC and then play from that, it will be exxxxxcellent.

I think currently I was exploring either 4-2 or 5-1 when my PS3 died. And I was still trying to figure out how to beat the dragon at 3-4 or whatever that was. It seemed like the most impossible boss fight ever, but I’m sure I was just missing some obvious trick. If I go back after all this time, I bet my subconscious brain has already figured out what to do.

The sad but inevitable day is finally coming:

https://atlus.com/fond-farewell-demons-souls-servers/

I’m still hoping for a PS4 remake so I can finally finish this game.

I have the import version. Hopefully those servers won’t come down for another decade or so. I figure I’ll find someone willing to lend me a PS3 by then.

Edit: Nevermind, Eurogamer is reporting that Sony is bringing down their Asian servers on the same day. That’s the one I have. And Namco is bringing down the European servers on Feb 28th as well.

I completed the whole game recently without summoning or being invaded … it was still a great experience, I would play it again on PS4. When I started the game a decade ago I didn’t even understand the online components other than the messages/blood stains…

Wow. Very sad, indeed. Not a tragedy, of course, but it makes me wistful around the passing of time generally. Demons was a hobby changing event for me.

I still don’t. That’s the part I’ll miss the most though. Those messages were super important. But yeah, the rest of it, World Whiteness vs Blackness, I never really understood that stuff.

It’s impossible to really navigate without a strategy guide/wiki, but it’s worthwhile. Very cool to see how the game changes, and much easier to control those changes by playing offline.

Online features are overrated in these games - getting invaded by people constantly by players with super-equipment they shouldn’t possess is just annoying, and it’s even worse for the games on the PC since almost every invasion is from a hacked character that can just toy with you. The only time the online features worked as intended was in the brief window immediately after release.

This was my only Platinum trophy on PS3. What a great game. Fired on all pistons for me. It really changed my thoughts on what I was looking for in a video game.

I believe most of the world tendency stuff should work fine offline if you follow a wiki guide. There were a few items I was always able to get through solo play (the wand/talisman combo for example)

I saw on reddit there’s one piece of headgear you can only get via multiplayer. They should patch it in as treasure!

Not many people streaming tonight on the last night of multiplayer. Kind of sad. Oroboro is the only big one.

Resurrecting the main Demon’s Souls thread.

Man, I was just re-reading part of it when I first started playing the game upthread. Lizard King and @peacedog were so patient in slowly explaining all the concepts to me that I didn’t understand.

When I struggle with something but find a way through it, and then see others in similar struggles, I quite enjoy passing on whatever knowledge/wisdom/etyc I can to help people get through it. Historically it’s been RPGs where I’ve helped people the most (somewhere, somewhen, is an epic post where I walked a bunch of people through how D&D 3.5 worked, and how to craft builds, for Temple of Elemental Evil). But it’s always been something I loved doing.

But man Demon’s Souls was something different when it came out, wasn’t it? I look back and the idea that I imported a game from Japan still seems insane (I’ve never done it before or since; the only media I’ve ever purchased from other regions was music, and that has been rare). But I couldn’t help but be intrigued by a title where one was forced to alter tactics in narrow hallways, and where the physical peformance of one weapon versus another was so important. I don’t think anything had done the combination of rpg stats + “physics” the way this game had.

I don’t remember how long it took me to get to Phalanx and beat him so I could finally level up. It feels like a thousand hours. It’s amazing how incredible the design of 1-1 is, though. Plenty of shortcuts and paced just the right amount apart so that you never really felt crippled by dying/your own stupidity/etc. I got frustrated occasionally but never despaired, and legitimately felt like I had improved noticably in the game by the time I got to Phalanx. And the level is very good for atmosphere to boot. From can meander when it comes to the actual lore sometimes but the way they suggest story, stories really, through level design/placement of stuff/etc is great.

Memories!

Fired it up, and of course the servers are offline, but in the tutorial area I was surprised to see…a ghost! I didn’t realize those were sometimes generated by the game; I thought they were always other players. Did any of the other games do this, too?

Ah, the other Demon’s Souls thread has the info on private servers. The world population is extremely low (which might explain why they were shut off in the first place) and there’s no level limit on PVP so you’re very likely to get dicknosed by someone who’s played far more than you… But that was always my experience with PVP anyway (shoutout to cheaters in DS2.)

I don’t think Dark Souls had any NPC bloodstains, aside from the phantoms. They more or less served as the tutorial in Demon’s Souls iirc.

Does that private server thing work for Asian Demon’s Souls? Or just the Namco published version?

Reposting link here:

https://yuvi.app/serverinfo.html

It wasn’t a bloodstain, it was just a ghost who appeared and ran away, although it did run the way you’re supposed to go (not that there was any other option, really).