Are you good enough at Twilight Struggle to enter a tournament?

Do we have to add the optional cards?

I’d like to use the additional of optional cards as the default because:

1. We did so in the last tournament
  2. There are only a handful of optional cards, so it doesn’t add significantly to the headspace/difficulty of the game
  3. It’s widely thought that they make the game more balanced and add welcome randomization to the early and mid-war

However, if you and your opponent agree NOT to add optional cards then you could have a game with no optional cards. In that case please raise the US handicap to +2.

Challonge.com supports Swiss so I’ve registered the tournament there.

This is what the brackets look like for now. Don’t start your games yet as they are subject to change until Wednesday morning US time, and after I say the tournament has started.

http://challonge.com/qt3ts2017jan

10:05AM Pacific Wednesday is the official start?

Heya!

Sorry it took me a while to get here. Looks like there are about 20 responses to your query. I assume that someone helped you out with this stuff? I haven’t read the responses.

No worries, Dave. I was originally going with a world-cup style two stage tournament, so I was worried about determining who would advance in case of a tie. But I’ve decided to go with a 5-round Swiss tournament.

Tomorrow morning will be the official start, just in case people who I told can sign up through Tuesday at midnight show up at the last moment.

I’ll announce here when brackets are final.

I completely forgot - I’m going out of town for work on Tuesday, and won’t be back until some time on Monday, the 30th. I won’t have access to my computer the whole time.

I suppose I could purchase the Android version before I leave, and I know online play is cross platform, but if I start a match on my desktop can I restore the saved game to my tablet?

I’d need someone to 100% it, but I am playing my online games accross 2 iPads, and the online game status seems linked to your Playdek account, and nothing locally.

I can’t confirm on Twilight Struggle specifically, but this was true on other playdek games.

Yes, if you have the TS app on an Android device, it ties into the Playdek account the same as your PC would. So you can take a turn upstairs on your Android and downstairs on your PC. Or start games on your PC and continue in your business trip on an android device.

Ok we have no additional entrants so I am officially kicking things off!

Check http://challonge.com/qt3ts2017jan to see who you are matched up with, contact them via private message and/or just send a game invite.

Please do your best to wrap up round 1 by Saturday Feb 4.

Hey TGB, invite sent :-) Let the games begin!

For those of you who have been left in the cold by the last bit of discussion, we’re playing a Swiss tournament structure.
This means:

1. There will be a fixed number of rounds in which everyone plays. In this case, 5 rounds of ~2 weeks each.
  2. If you win your match, you will tend to be matched against a stronger opponent in the next round. And vice versa, of course. You will get a different opponent each round.
  3. As a result, we can’t start a new round until the current round is finished, so please play promptly.

Good luck, everyone.

Got it. Good luck.

I’ve sent a game to @Syzygy. Thanks for setting everything up!

Ok @tcgamer if you want to set up our game and send, I’ll accept when I get home. Otherwise I’ll send it this evening.

There is no “restoring” - the game simply exists on Playdek’s server. So it does not matter what device or platform you are using - you just log into the game and take a turn. I regularly switch from iOS to Steam and back and there is zero problem. I have one opponent who uses PC, iOS and Android (often all in the same game) and I don’t have any idea which one he used - a turn just happens. Seamlessly.

Btw, those people invoking my name as some sort of gameshark should have the following info:

My overall record against @Syzygy: 3-12
My overall record against @Brian_Reynolds: 0-16

I have played approx. 320 games now and I don’t think I have hit .500

Adds @Syzygy to list of people I will definitely lose to. (and therefore unlikely to play this tournament)