Avengers 3: Infinity War

They’re going to have to “kill” or “retire” a couple of these characters because the actors’ contracts are up. The superheroes may go on, but they’ll be played by someone else.

Until Marvel starts doing a Tarkin and just using CG to resurrect actors.

People say this a lot, but it just ain’t the case that the existence of contracts means they “have” to do anything. For the right price, contracts can be renewed or renegotiated - and of course they have been already. The original deals called for 3 Avenger movies. But over the years that turned into four … and we also got Civil War, and Downey in Spider-man etc. All of those required alterations to the contracts.

Of course, it will take a whole bunch of money to keep the actors coming back. But so far Marvel hasn’t blinked at the price tag.

Retirement of major characters is way more likely than perma-death. There’s no reason Tony Stark and Steve Rogers can’t keep making the occasional cameo indefinitely as the grand old men of the universe. (While other characters fill in for the costumed roles - though I actually kinda doubt we’ll be getting any more solo Iron Man or Captain America movies soon, for the simple reason that Marvel has a bunch of other characters that are doing just fine. Do you really need a Cap 4 with Sam or Bucky in the lead if another Black Panther movie might do a billion dollars? Not to mention that Captain America is problematic at the moment for … other reasons.)

Does ant man show up in any of these trailers? Is anyone from the Marvell movies missing?

Sure, and people also age in real life. They get tired of doing one character or acting at all. They get the directing bug, or they decide to branch out into roles against type.

These exact Marvel characters won’t last forever. Some other person will have to take on the mantle of Iron Man or Captain America or whatever. It’s going to be interesting to see audiences adapt to that.

We’ve done it with James Bond a hundred times. I think audiences will be okay with.

Hawkeye and Ant Man are absent. They might not be in it, or maybe they’re only in it a little bit.

Not really. James Bond is James Bond. The character has been played by multiple actors across storylines that had soft and hard reboots throughout the decades. The Bond movies weren’t part of a giant interlocking universe of movies meant to encompass one long uber-story.

Yes but Marvel has the passing of the superhero mantle already in place in the comic world. In the Bond world, they kept the agent and changed the actor. They don’t need to replace the actor for Tony Stark with a new one to keep Ironman going. Same thing with Steve Rogers and Cap for that matter.

As far as who actually dies? I guess someone should start a dead-pool.

Agree – Marvel does the passing-the-mantle stuff. Even if it’s handled awkwardly, it’d be an in-universe explanation for why someone new is Iron Man. As opposed to the James Bond movies, which just expect you to understand that it’s the same person.

I don’t think audiences will have any trouble with, say, Sebastian Stan being Cap for a few years.

Of course, I could be completely wrong:

I assume that Cap, Thor and Iron Man are effectively removed from prominence after this movie, and that Untitled Avengers 4 become something like The New Avengers with Doctor Strange, Black Panther and Captain Marvel as the anchor trilogy.

Saw a post outlining the above could work because Doctor Strange has IM’s snark plus Thor’s magic/mysticism, Black Panther carries Cap’s earnestness and idealistic outlook combined with IM’s tech, and Captain Marvel brings over Thor’s “I’m from space” power and Cap’s military outlook.

Cumberbatch’s Doctor Strange has none of the charisma of any of those characters though. I can’t imagine him ever anchoring a team, though I’d still show up for a straightforward Dr. Strange sequel.

We’ll have to see how he does in a group. Let’s face it, a lot of the origin movies weren’t great, and I don’t like Captain America and Thor based on their first movies.

Since Stephen Strange has had only one movie and he was basically a pompous ass throughout the whole thing. So we really dont have that much to go on. He did have a fun bit in Thor: Ragnarok, which gave him a bit more of a sense of humor. I think you’re right though, the character is not a leader type, although if he is part of a team, Im guessing he will feel he is superior to the others. He is crazy powerful, to be honest.

The first Captain America is in my top 5 of all the Marvel movies, and I’ll grant you the first Thor wasn’t great, but I liked the character from the start (hated Branagh’s direction and Portman’s performance, mostly).

So I’m the wrong guy to try to convince with that logic :)

I do like Dr. Strange, as was mentioned, he’s intentionally unlikable at the start.

But I’ll push back hard against whatever post @Thierry_Nguyen saw that was swapping characters around the roster like they were ticking off check boxes, especially if they reduce Tony Stark to “snark” and think Strange can replace him so simply.

Well, the new trailer dropped today, and I bought our tickets for opening day, so I have to bid everyone adieu for the time being. Radio silence and all that. I already know too much, and I don’t want to know any more!

Also, we’ve been watching one Marvel movie a week since the first week of 2018. If we time it right, we’ll watch our final movie right before Infinity War comes out!

Here’s a discussion topic for when I come back: Is Avengers: Infinity War the greatest superhero movie of all time, or the greatest overall movie of all time?

See you on the other side!

He, Fair enough.

I am not rooting for all the contract ending character to die but… seems likely.

I sorta figured that it’ll go:

Cap -> Bucky as the new Captain America w/ Gun
Thor -> Female Thor / Captain Marvel
Iron man -> Black Panther?

Again, I don’t think there’s much merit in looking at specific characters as replacements for other characters.

But also, no way in hell do we get a female Thor. At least not the one from the comics.

I think you’re reacting a little too strongly to that little bit of theorycrafting. Roster changes happen all the time. It wasn’t reducing Tony to just snark, it was saying that elements of the current power trio can still carry over with this new generation of Avengers.

Literal replacements would be more along the line of either Winter Soldier or Falcon replacing Cap, War Machine replacing Iron Man and, I dunno, Natalie Portman comes back to replace Thor.

Yeah no, I mean, I still completely disagree. I’m not pushing against the roster changing, but they don’t need some formula of “well we gotta have a funny one, and we gotta have one from space, and we gotta…” They just need to keep writing well developed characters and making good casting decisions to bring them to life on screen. I’m not trying to pick a fight with you or whoever posted that, just trying to be clear about what I disagree with.

There are comic precedents for characters taking up the titles of people they’re connected to, of course. But that still works or doesn’t based on the writing on the page.

And yeah, I’ll buy you all tickets to the next Justice League movie if Natalie Portman ever swings the hammer.