Avengers: Endgame (2019)

Certainly not surprising that it did well, but nobody expected it to do this well. Even Disney’s most positive expectations for US gross maxed at $300mil and it did $350.

This is the first movie to seriously challenge Avatar for the crown of highest-grossing movie ever at $2.7 billion worldwide.

I’ll be surprised if it doesn’t beat it. They’ve made it one of those movies that one can see multiple times as well (all the callbacks and easter eggs), so this is likely to have a pretty solid tail.

Its almost halfway there in less than a week. I think it may pass 3 billion before its all said and done.

After leaving the theater, I was wondering if this is a re-watch movie for me. This morning I realized it was but I wonder if that’s the case for as many as will be needed to hit the mark.

No doubt true, but again it’s a chicken-and-egg thing. What studio would want to put any movie anywhere near Endgame? If you had an action/sci-fi/fantasy/adventure movie that you thought was going to have legs, you’d know it was going to get kicked off the top of the charts by Endgame if it came out before, and you’d know it was never going to make #1 if it came out anywhere near afterwards.

So you’d simply cede the entire month to the inevitable and push your release back.

Just watched it.

Predictable and yet not. Many questions unanswered.

Where is the spoiler thread?

edit - oops, posts stuff from the spoiler thread when I link it

With Endgame and the Game of Thrones stuff going on this weekend, I can only imagine that if the Wheel of Time series had ever gotten going that Tarmon Gaidon would have been this weekend as well.

An interesting side note here. I saw an article on Robert Downey Jr today. It discussed his importance to the MCU and that in turn he has been richly rewarded for his performances. His contract gives him a small percentage of the take and because of that, he made $75 million for Avengers: Infinity War alone. They are estimating that for Endgame he will easily take home over $100 million. At least now we know how he affords all of that tech!

His deal was very unusual for Iron Man, giving him great participation points for not only that movie, but (initially) ALL MCU movies, whether he was in them or not. Favreau also had a very sweet deal.

The deal with RDjr was successfully renegotiated by Marvel after Avengers in order to give some of that participation to other cast members in future movies, as his compensation was way out of whack compared to the rest of the cast – even after that negotiation, and giving up rights to movies he wasn’t in (although he may have gotten a certain number of additional non-IM/Avengers movies in exchange), he still had a very, very sweet deal, as he had such a strong bargaining position given the initial deal. Nobody is likely to ever get anything similar.

(unless they also produce the movie, like Tom Cruise, etc.)

Even Cruise will not get that kind of deal. Dwayne Johnson will not get that deal. No one will, at least not with Marvel.

RDJ essentially made the MCU possible. Many of the Phase 1 movies were only okay. Hulk, Iron Man 2 and Thor are some of the weakest entries in the series. Even Cap was merely good. The only standout movie was Iron Man until Avengers 1. It was on the back of Iron Man that Avengers probably gets made. I think Iron Man 1 and 2 outgrossed Cap, Thor and Hulk combined. Then he kicks off Phase 2 with the 2nd highest grossing film of the year. The whole concept was unproven until Iron Man proved it and then nailed the 3 biggest stand-alone hero movies. Even the gross for Iron Man was not surpassed (except by the Iron Man sequels) until 5 years later (Thor Dark World) by any stand alone film.

RDJ carried the franchise to get it started. Now it is a money-making machine and does not need a star to carry the movie. There is no reason for Disney to give that kind of percentage to anyone because the movie will make huge money even if they find a no-name to play it. The MCU is a bigger box office draw than any single star now. Even if they produce it because Marvel will still hold all the final say-so in production.

The main reason I did not watch any Marvel movies the first phase was because I hate Downey Jr. Not a good actor, way too small, just a diva.

I have watched all of them now and still cant stand him…Evans is a lot better actor, Cap is the best symbol for the Avengers…I’m glad Downey is gone now.

Mod edit: please keep spoilers in a spoiler tag

Might want to spoiler tag part of your response as we have a separate thread specifically for spoilers. At least for a little while longer, seems polite to leave this one spoiler-free.

Oof, I’ve been reading this thread because I was fairly confident it contained no spoilers.
Please, please use spoiler tags.

Jeezus dude, come on.

Bahahaha

You’d need a vorebranium stomach for that.

Hold up, like he’s too short or something?

I love the Internet.