Bargain Thread 2011 Edition

Picked up Bastion for only one reason, it was nominated so many times on the GOTY thread. Good deal.

GOG is having a sale on the Witcher 2 starting tomorrow… I think it was 40% off and includes the first with purchase. Steam’ll probably end up being cheaper, but the GOG convenience is worth quite a bit IMO. They’ll also be giving anyone who visits a free game (Empire Earth) on the 12th and putting almost their entire catalog to 1/2 price.

Hehe. I suppose it’s hard to complain when they let us buy stuff at that price, even though I never would. :)

Does anyone know if those guys lose money if people pay them a penny or a quarter? Can’t imagine the transaction fees being that cheap…

One of the recent bundles had an average of just $1.06 when I bought it. Humble’s were at $7ish a few months ago when there wasn’t competition.

That’s one reason I got it, the other was the soundtrack. :)

The Blizzard Store is selling the World of WarCraft Battle Chest for $5, the Wrath of the Lich King expansion for $10, and the Cataclysm expansion for $20. Celestial Steed mounts are priced at $10 and Pandaren Monk pets are priced at $5.

JR.com is having a 2 for $7 PC game sell. If you are looking for a hard copy, you ought to be able to glean a few titles.

Bastion is my 2nd favorite game of the year, right behind Portal 2. Unbelievable steal for $5, and well worth the $20 I paid for the soundtrack version :-)

You’re not looking hard enough

I actually prefer to play Bastion with the mouse/keyboard. Much more precise targeting with the bow.

You know what would make bargain-hunting on Steam even more fun? COUPONS!

Know of any good ones?

No official announcement yet.

The problem with the “just buy a 360 controller” line is that I hate the 360 controller’s d-pad, and since I use the controller for lots of emulators and non-analog games, it’s not a good solution. With my Logitech Cordless RumblePad 2, I’ve had mixed results with compatibility - Bionic Commando: Rearmed works fine, but Capsized refuses to recognize anything but a 360 controller (no doubt because it’s built using XNA). The good news is that the link provided above by Wade42 appears to work perfectly with Capsized, so problem solved. Would be interested to hear if this works for Bastion or other 360 ports.

Eff coupons, because I’m unlikely to be “targeted,” especially if it means fewer deals of the day/sales.

AtomicPlayboy, check this thread for other non-Microsoft 360 pads that work on a PC. For example, I bought an Onza because its d-pad is so different. (It’s better than stock 360 d-hat, but I don’t know if I like it yet.)

Seems to only be Railworks so far. 50% off any one DLC, or a gift copy. Owners apparently got it in their “Steam Update News”, and they’re trying to trade the coupons for TF2 hats.

Not sure if this was mentioned elsewhere, but Google is sponsoring a 10 cent sale on Android apps for 10 days. Some of the games are pretty decent. For example, until a few hours ago the following games were $0.10:

Asphalt 6 HD
Fieldrunners HD
Great Little War Game
Minecraft Pocket Edition

Today’s batch includes:

Fruit Ninja
Flick Golf
Reckless Racing
NFL Rivals

And there’s still more to come over the next week.

Since Steam was hacked I don’t store my credit card details with them. I’ve just realised this has affected my purchase threshold. Sure I believe Bastion’s worth $5. But worth the effort of typing all that crap in again? Nah. Goodbye impulse buys…

Why not just use Paypal? It’s what I always do now, since Steam’s store often has some issue with my credit cards.

Your post was around 250 characters long, presumably less than your billing info.

So, you could get all the DLC for $1455 now, instead of $1461 (actual, honest to dog price of all the DLC according to Steam).

I thought I had told it not to save my info this time, but it was saved when I bought Bastion tonight. Maybe you were just as oblivious as I was! You should check it out.