Bargain Thread 2014

I loved Still Life, I remember them saying they were inspired by Se7en and it shows. Very anticlimactic ending though. For some reason people have major problems with the baking puzzle. For me it was the lockpicking puzzle. I avoided Still Life 2 for a couple years since I heard bad things, but I thought it was pretty enjoyable in the end.

Day 3 BundleStars bundle is up, Reboot 7.0. $1.99 (first 48 hours) nets Steam Keys for:

[ul]
[li]Hydophobia Prophecy[/li][li]Cargo Commander[/li][li]Runespell : Overture[/li][li]Legendary[/li][li]Velvet Assassin[/li][li]Kung Fu Strike : Warrior’s Rise and Master Level DLC[/li][/ul]

Not a bad deal. All those games netted average reviews on Metacritic, and a couple like Runespell and Hydrophobia had some unique gameplay mechanics that made them interesting. Even Legendary, the stinker of the bunch, could be worth a playthrough at $0.33. =)

Velvet Assassin is fun.

Is enclave worth it for 94 cents?

It’s early Starbreeze - a little rough but already promising.

Hey, Armageddon Empires is at the pay what you want level of the weekly Humble Bundle. Snap it up!

What type of game is it? I couldn’t tell from the video.

It’s a deck-building, hex-based, turn-based strategy game set in the blasted hellscape of earth where aliens, robots, humans, and mutants square off in a battle to the death! Also see this Qt3 AAR.

http://www.bundlestars.com/all-bundles/night-dive-bundle/

$3.49

Seems like a no brainer:
System Shock 2
Wizardry 6-8
7th Guest & 11th Hour
Bad Mojo
Harvester
Shodaow Man
I have no Mouth and I must scream

Nice bundle… thanks for the link.

Try the demo first. I couldn’t make heads or tails of it. How to start, how to play, nothing. I think Dubious Quality blog has a famous walkthrough on how to get a new player started, which I always meant to try with the demo, but never got around to it.

This week in US Target stores gaming gift cards are buy 1 get 1 25% off. Just in time for the fall releases like Destiny.

-Todd

I just belatedly noticed that Space Run is a weekend deal on Steam (40% off, $9). I had a lot of fun with that one, enough that I made a series of YouTube walkthroughs for the game, which was a first for me.

It’s billed as “tower defense,” but it’s really more of a spaceship design game. Hull shape, firing arcs, and non-weapon ship components (shields, power, thrusters) play a part in the game. Enemies do follow set paths, but they’re actively attacking your ship rather than passively wandering toward a destination while you kill them. Type, position, and relative position of components matter, since not all enemies will encounter all your weapons - a fighter wing may come in from the port bow, so that’s where you need anti-fighter weapons, and a missile-launching capital ship may come in from starboard, so that’s where you’ll need anti-missile defenses.

It’s easy for new players to get the impresssion the game is about frantic clicking, but it’s more about planning so you don’t need frantic clicking. That’s what motivated me to make those videos, demonstrating how to get perfect runs even if your reflexes are as sluggish as mine.

Xbox Live and Playstation Plus are 25% off and currency cards are 10% off in Canada this week until Thursday at Target Canada.

I’ve been eyeing that Space Run sale. I think I’ll probably end up giving in and trying it.

I heard the encounters in Space run were all scripted, which is why I’ve never been interested. Is that true?

As far as I could tell from having to do a few missions repeatedly, yes.

That is true in all tower defense games, right? Gus mentions that while billed as a tower defense game it is a spaceship design game, but I guess it still has the basic tower defense standards as part of its design. Weren’t the encounters in Gratuitous Space Battles static too? I don’t mean to say that if this is a game killer for you it shouldn’t be, just that I haven’t heard of a tower defense game where this wasn’t true.

Yes, they’re scripted. In that way it’s like a tower defense game, which pretty much without exception use scripted attackers.

Generally speaking you can win any scenario with just the regular advance warnings you get during the course of a scenario as long as you consider surviving a win. The later scenarios are difficult enough that you have to play very well indeed to get 5 stars (+2 stars for time, +2 stars for losing no cargo), and that can require multiple runs exploring different strategies. Having some idea where you failed last time is part of that. Not enough shielding? Need more firepower in a particular direction? Maybe try an ion cannon to disable those bombers? That kind of thing.

It’s still a good game even if the attackers aren’t random. Orcs Must Die / Orcs Must Die 2 use scripted attackers, for example, and they’re still good.

Yes, tower defense games are scripted, which is one of the reasons I find them boring.