Bargain Thread 2014

Bohemia Humble sale

The Dayz mod (the free mod) as a reward for more than $6 got a chuckle from me.

Bohemia did UFO: Afterlight? Also, what is Alpha Prime?

Afterlight was done by Altar, they were bought by Bohemia

I was wondering about that. So if I don’t pay the $6 I get everything I need to install the Dayz mod other than the mod, which is a free download? Is the mod still popular or have people moved on?

You’d be missing the Operation Arrowhead expansion which is needed for the mod.

The mod is still pretty popular, although at this point the numbers are dwindling due to the standalone.

Ok, thanks. So you have to go to the $6 threshold, which is still a good price.

What is “Take on Helicopters”? Is that their (Bohemia’s) take on Helicopters? Or are you fighting against Helicopters? (On foot? In a tank?)

Also to note:

Carrier Command has zero AI on the enemy carrier, and they never fixed it. It makes the game entirely pointless.

Which is a shame, because it had potential to be great.

Take on Helicopters is a civilian helicopter simulator where you run a business in Seattle that gets contracts you need to fly. It has a lite management sim in there as well. Pretty flawed and buggy, but I enjoyed it.

It’s their helicopter sim. You’re running a charter helicopter company in Seattle. It’s an odd product. The flight sim stuff is pretty good, but the game insists on dressing it up with this goofball story. Also, it’s BI’s Virtual Reality engine, which is the core of the Arma games, so expect a LOT of jank. But hey, for a buck, it’s the best recent civilian helicopter sim set in Seattle.

Edit: And flyinj is correct about Carrier Command. It’s a waste of an IP.

The DLCs aren’t showing up at a discount for me. Is the sale region locked?

USA here , no dlc discount either…

The Company of Heroes 2 DLC were included in the sale by mistake. It’s been fixed now. Luckily I grabbed something in time ;)

Bummer. Looks like they are pulling a Bioware, keep selling the base game at a discount and bleed the customer with expensive DLCs.

When does the Amazon Editor’s promotion end? I’m sitting on three $5 discounts. I keep waiting for something good to pop up for me, but it’s just not happening.

Steam today: The Secret World QT3 thread
[ul][li]Normal game: $10.19 (66% off)[*]Massive Edition: $29.99 (50% off) contains the full Secret World game and Issue #5, #6, #7[/ul][/li]What’s the difference between the Normal game and the Massive Edition? I couldn’t figure it out from the Steam page or the main website.

Ends January 31st. Games/discounts seem to come and go all month long though. So far the best deals have been Bioshock Infinite for $8.20, Brothers : A Tale of Two Sons for $3, How to Survive for $2.50, Marlow Briggs for $2.50, Crysis 3 for $5, Ace Patrol Bundle for $1, XCOM Collection (including Enemy Unkown) for $10 and Eurpoa Universalis 4 for $15. Most of those are still available, though I think Crysis ended earlier in the month.

I’ve been very disappointed in the ability of Amazon to convince many publishers to take part in the “Editor’s Choice” sale. The games included are by no means a representation of the best games of 2013, and the selection has been so paltry that even calling this a promotion has been somewhat embarassing. I was hoping they would at least convince Bethesda and Sega to take part so that we could see decent prices on Dishonored, Skyrim and DLC and Rome 2 Total War. There are also a ton of fantastic indie games that aren’t represented at all. Last year’s sale was much more inclusive.

And the price went up to $16.77. Great job pricing your games, EA. I was just about to buy it too.

In better news, the new Indie Gala has added Deadly Premonition when you beat the average price (currently $5.19).

Price matched by Amazon, so if you have a coupon left, its 5.19

Amazon price-matched the Steam sale on Company of Heroes 2. The twist? They seem to have accidentally price-matched both the regular and collector’s editions to $13.59.

Not anymore. Ce is $27.19 now.