Bargain Thread 2015

Steam today: FTL - $2.49 - 75% off.

Steam weeklongs this week. You can all safely let this one pass by. Get FTL instead.

What!? How can you pass up Pretentious Game for 75% off?

Just joking. Pass it up.

Snob :p

Let me curate:

T.O.M.E. - Solid rogue-like which just came out with an expansion.
Geneforge Saga - Excellent RPG series (hours of gameplay)
Hero of the Kingdom- Loved this game. Sure, it’s a hidden object type game, but there is some puzzle ‘supply / demand’ elements to it that keep it interesting. Short enough to finish in 1 sitting.
The Stronghold Collection - A lot of good gaming without the taint that was 3.

Rock of Ages is also quite good (and ridiculous) if someone managed to pass that up year after year.

I’ll second Rock of Ages as enjoyable, especially at that price point. The Monty Python-esque art style is amusing enough on its own, and the gameplay is worth a quick run-through as well. Got a few good kicks out of being a massive jerk in multiplayer.

I picked up Geneforge Saga, and I’m enjoying it way more than I expected. Seriously old school, but doesn’t have the usual super annoying UI, it’s actually pretty well thought out. Some of the writing makes me remember why writing can actually convey more than fancy graphics sometimes.

Awesome. I’m almost done the first one. I really need to get back into it.

+1 Like for the Geneforge Saga. I picked it up in a bundle awhile back and played through the first game. You are spot on about the writing, it made me forget all about the seriously old school interface and graphics and really get into the story. I keep meaning to go back and play the remaining games, along with all the Avernum games from SpiderWeb as well.

After doing it for more than a year, I noticed that I’d call out some bargain games over and over without ever buying and trying it myself (like Avernum). Or I’d see Rush again and cringe. So I decided to restrain myself this year. Or at least this month…week?

Steam today: X-Plane 10 Global - 64 Bit - $29.99 - 50% off.
[indent]Ask yourself: are you, or are you not, a PC gamer? Don’t you want your PC to fully exercise all of its combined might to provide you total, simulation, entertainment???

Sorry, I think I’m still hallucinating from the flu. Oh look, a flight sim! How quaint.[/indent]

Steam midweek #1: The Incredible Adventures of Van Helsing II - $5.09 - 66% off.
[indent]Franchise sale, all games and DLCs are 66% off. Get the whole franchise (excl OST) for $13.59. A well-liked Titan Quest clone.[/indent]

Steam midweek #2: Depth - $14.99 - 40% off.
[indent]It’s like Aliens vs Predator, but normal. What’s normal, though…? In PC games, Aliens and Predators are much more normal than sharks and divers.[/indent]

Van Helsing 1 and its DLC is all 66% off also. I picked up the complete pack of 1 and 2 with all DLC for $13, after reading that it was a story-driven ARPG with lots of character that nobody would ever want to play more than once and realizing that sounded really attractive.

Steam today: SimCity 4 Deluxe Edition - $4.99 - 75% off.
[indent]This is the famous version-before-the-one-that-EA-shat-all-over. i.e. playable offline.[/indent]

IndieGala has a Hostile Reaction Bundle up. For $1.49 minimum for the first 24 hours you get Steam keys for:

[ul]
[li]Commando Jack[/li][li]Eurofighter Typhoon[/li][li]CT Special Forces : Fire for Effect[/li][li]Incoming Forces[/li][li]Hostile Waters : Antaeus Rising[/li][li]Platypus[/li][li]Chernobyl Chronicles[/li][li]Desert Thunder[/li][li]Glacier 3 : The Meltdown[/li][li]Hyper Fighters[/li][/ul]
Even better, buy in the first 24 hours and they will throw in a second copy of all the games in the bundle for you to gift to a friend.

While you are there check out the Every Monday Bundle where for $1.99 you can score:

[ul]
[li]Space Salvager[/li][li]Eternal Winter[/li][li]Why So Evil[/li][li]CubeZ[/li][li]Claustrophobia[/li][li]Krater + DLC[/li][/ul]
Krater is worth $2 by itself, especially if you can convince a couple of friends to play co-op with you.

Groupees has a “Lovecraftian” bundle up. I dunno if any of this stuff is any good…probably not, but it might be worth a buck to see for Lovecraft fans.

The first game The Wasted Land is on iOS…it was ok. Certainly worth a buck anyway. Squad based tactical game.

Steam today: 3DMark - $4.99 - 80% off.
[indent]One reviewer calls this “the most pay-to-win game I have ever played”.[/indent]

Steam weekend #1: Anime sale. ??? Because a new anime season is upon us? Notables:
[ul]
[li]STRIDER - $7.49 - 50% off.[/li][li]Hateful Days pair: Analogue and Hate Plus - $4.99 - 75% off. Cheaper than the xmas sale.[/li][li]The Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky - $13.99 - 30% off. Officially misnamed QT3 thread[/li][li]Ys I & II Chronicles+ - $5.09 - 66% off. All Ys games 66% off.[/li][li]Hatoful Boyfriend - $5.99 - 40% off.[/li][li]THE KING OF FIGHTERS XIII STEAM EDITION - $7.49 - 75% off.[/li][li]…and many more[/li][/ul]

Steam weekend #2: Planetary Annihilation - $5.99 - 80% off.

So, for you PA dislikers, is it worth $6?

Edit: I mean that a lot of the bellyaching about the game I feel like had a lot to do with kickstarter backers feel like they were getting less than they were promised, and not as much bang for the buck as expected. If I played it with no baggage and only paid $6, would that mean I would be able to just enjoy it and not feel like it was a waste of money?

I still can’t save my single player game, so I’ve not touched it since I discovered that.

I highly recommend the Analogue/Hate Plus pack and every Ys game.

This is better:

OMG that mullet. bwhahahaha

Thanks Brian, I was wondering about that myself. I still haven’t really played SupCom 2 so I’ll just keep that in my backlog in case I get the TA itch.