Bargain Thread 2017

Rain World’s devs are doing an update that includes other modes of play , including an ‘Easy’ mode.

Lego Worlds is on sale at bundlestars for $14.99. Anyone tried this? My daughter has just started getting into Minecraft, so wondering if this might be something to pick up as well.

I’ve played it with my girls. Frankly, the building part of it is sort of a mystery to me. They really enjoy riding the various animals around, but we’ve never even dabbled with the buildings aspects, except for times when we mistakenly pressed a building related button. That’s not to say that it’s not approachable, but it’s a completely different model from Minecraft. If your girls enjoy Legos, I’d say it’s worth $15. You probably could spend an hour or two with it to figure out the building.

Without getting spoilery, is Glittermitten Grove worth it?

Hmm never got the DLC for The Witcher. Maybe time to reinstall. Anybody do the DLC after not playing for a long time? It’s been like a year and a half since I did it and wonder if I’d be lost just jumping right back in straight to the expansion stuff.

The expansions are basically standalone, so you don’t need to remember anything much re plot, but I’d take a while and remember the controls again.

What Alistair said, at least regarding story.

BUT…the difficulty in Hearts of Stone goes up pretty steeply, fairly early. If you’ve been lax about building up your known potions and oils and using them, the first part of your journey is going to be spending some time getting recipes and making sure you’re deploying everything in Geralt’s arsenal in combat.

I got incredibly stomped by the start of HoS, which was a mix of the difficulty going up and not remembering how to fight. I wound up running the castle tutorial at the start of the game to re-familiarize myself with the control scheme and the basics of combat (maybe half an hour of time), and the game felt far easier afterwards.

I still haven’t played more than 1/2 an hour of blood and wine yet. I’m eager to see the new story, but I know this will be goodbye, so I’m finding myself putting it off…

^^ Thanks for this! I’ve been wondering about the Witcher 3 DLC too after just finishing the main game only a month or 2 ago. But, I was completely uninterested in any of the crafting, and never created a single item. If the crafting is crucial to the DLC’s success, I think I’ll pass. I know I’m in the minority, but W3 just didn’t grab me anywhere near as much as it did the rest of all humanity.

He’s talking more about potions than armour etc. You’ll be missing out, but if you didn’t like the main game…

Personally I thought Hearts was ok and Wine was great. Wine does have a different setting and feel from the base game too.

I have the flipped opinion. I loved Hearts of Stone a lot more than Blood and Wine. Both were great, but I felt the characters in Hearts were a lot stronger.

Yeah, Hearts of Stone is every bit as intense and full of brilliant characters as any of the best bits of the main game.

The description of Blood and Wine as a victory lap for TW3 is a good one. It exists as a 30-40 hour loving reward to people who have played through the main game and HoS, and if you’ve done that, you’ll really love BaW too.

$20 for the collectors edition.

An old-timey physical copy no less. Per what I’m reading it has a Steam key in the package as well. This game kind of came and went, didn’t it? Was it just a “me-too” FPS?

It was not super well received, and then of course on PC it was Windows Store exclusive for a while which can’t have helped sales any.

“Life is Strange” for grownups. I’m interested…

Oh, no. If anything, Life is Strange is the more “grownup” experience.

Oh. Meh. Guess I wait for the next issue of Life is Strange.

Is quantum break any good? Or is it just “meh”? I have it on my wishlist. I was going to pick it up on a super-sale at some point.

It’s also that price on Steam itself today.