Bargain Thread 2017

Single Keys

Thanks!

This one is a bit special, but if you’re a serious chess player it might be interesting. The GMG Summer Sale offers a small discount on Fritz Chess 14. The VIP price of 23.xx€ and the special discount coupon for 15% should bring this down to roundabout 20€.
The Deep Fritz 14 “DLC” is useless, see quote below.
The Bobby Fischer thing has a fair price tag for a couple hours of advanced material. Actually it’s probably the cheapest price ever for the Bobby Fischer Masterclass. I wouldn’t be surprised if this runs on the free ChessBase reader too. At least the retail disks ship with it.

Chessbase themselves only offer the latest GUI version for 50-70€, depending on the skin and the included engine (Fritz → now the rebranded Rybka, Komodo, Shredder or Houdini). Fritz 14 is the 2nd newest GUI, and it’s the full version, probably non-Steam.
Here’s a cross post of the stuff I’ve written about the other Fritz deal nearly 2 years ago. Please adjust accordingly for the newer full version.

Something for the chess players among us:
The BundleStars Timeless Bundle comes with Fritz for Fun 13. If you’re in the market for a newish chess GUI, the ca. 2.50$ are a steal to get the still 2nd newest GUI by Chessbase.

Fritz is basically a training tool for more
or less serious players. Fritz for Fun adds some mainstream gaming gimmicks, but nobody should care about them. After 5 minutes with the game I’m officially very happy, because I needed an affordable product which (1) can save my analyzed games, (2) runs on my netbook and (3) looks slick on a beamer.

Some functionality I think I have seen:

• engine: some Fritz 13SE plus mods for Chess960, etc. but that’s unimportant because …
  • this is basically the Fritz 13 GUI, and the Fritz 13 GUI comes with an UCI interface to dock the engines of your choice …
  • which means you can plug in the latest Stockfish. Incredibly strong, free and it offers multiprocessor support. It will suck your 36-core Xeons 100% dry.
  • basic DB functionality
  • saving to a DB is possible. That’s important - CB Light and all the demos out there can’t do this.
  • A small game DB is included.
  • cloud analysis … I’m not sure if it’s free though
  • endless analysis mode
  • not veryfied: Fritz usually supports DGT boards and clocks.

I can’t get the coupon to stack, has anyone else had success?

I didn’t try, sorry. Bought a ChessBase 14 for 75€ when they had their last 25% off day in May.

Addendum to my last post:
Nowadays Stockfish isn’t the only good free engine. There’s an alternative. The free Komodo version is always 2 main releases behind. The current branch is K11, and the now free Komodo 9 is very strong.

I wished who created chess would have at least printed the movement points and attack values on the pieces themselves. Or added some cards, or something. Or terrain rules. Chess is a really low-budget, abstract game and I wish FFG would buy them out or something.

Done.

Not only that. Only six units. One map. Units only have a single HP. Worst of all, it’s multiplayer only.

Boring.

Woah, an SJ Games game I didn’t even know about.

The extra 15% code only works on flash deals.

I loved that back in college.

Yeah, Nightmare Chess was pretty fun.

I’m playing Warhammer 40k: Regicide right now. You get extra actions between turns, plus it has space marines and orks!!!

Brothers: A Tale of Two Sons is on sale at GOG for $2.99 U.S. That’s an 80% price reduction.

They missed their Kickstarter goal for a single player mode, unfortunately.

Give The Duke or Jarl a try ;)

I hear the modding scene is pretty good, though

I was worried about being sucked into WoW but today’s Bundlestars deal is the Quake Collection. Q1-3 ($6.89 CAD so like basically free for you folks with real dollars). Quake 1 to 3! Quake is the one where the grenades go “pong pong pong pong”.

https://www.bundlestars.com/en/bundle/quake-collection

Heh. I loved that sound.

That BundleStars Quake Collection mentioned by @warrenac is $5.79 for those of us south of the border who still use dull old monochromatic currency.

BundleStars also has a new Mega Pix-A-Mix 5 Bundle featuring 30 games from GrabTheGames and other indie devs.
5 games for $1.49, 10 for $2.49 or 20 for $3.99.

Bethesda Games are also on sale.

Humble Store features Indie Mega Week Sale. Deals include:

• Darkest Dungeon - $9.99
  • Kerbal Space Program - $19.99
  • This War of Mine Humble Deluxe Edition - $3.99
  • Grim Dawn - $12.49
  • Portal Knights - $14.99
  • Brothers : A Tale of Two Sons - $1.49
  • Spintires - $5.99
  • Turmoil - $4.99
  • Warhammer - End Time : Vermintide - $9.89
  • Remember that all Humble Monthly Subscribers get an additional 10% off automatically

GOG has an Interplay Sale. Tons of old Interplay titles at $2.39-$3.99 each. Rumor has it that after this sale the GOG prices on these will rise to the same $10+ prices they list for on Steam.