Bargain Thread 2023

I have no idea what a “special profile” even means on Steam, and I completely lack the interest to look it up, even though that would just take a minute. This is not an attempt to slyly coerce one of you fine people to explain it to me either. Don’t. I completely don’t care, and I will never care.

Nevertheless, I went to that link and claimed it. Can’t deny the lure of free shit.

I know you didn’t want an explanation, but it’s just custom backgrounds and stuff for your profile. Which I just found out, and now I have to go back and find my old background and stuff. :-)

(Also, thanks for the share, @krushnine! Definitely all about not jumping through hoops to unlock stuff like this!)

I think we all learned a lesson here today. Never question free shit-- and don’t try to blindly use it, either!

I picked up Syberia: The World Before yesterday and got an extra 10% off by buying the bundle because I already had the previous three games. It amounted to 64% off instead of 60%.

I mean, half my wishlist are puzzle-y type games so I had to buy one, at least.

Haha, it’s not the best looking theme either.

It’s amusing how the forum post shows that there were 63 clicks for the direct claim link, as opposed to just 7 for the actual puzzle video. Ain’t nobody got time for that.

Multiple free weekends with sales on Steam today: Deceive Inc $16, Grounded $30, Nakara: Bladepoint $10, TerraTech $12.5. Trailers and links for these here on GG.deals

Deceive Inc looks kinda great. Anyone tried it yet? It still has over 4k players whic is great for this sort of niche game will die and early death due to no payer base. Downloading it to tinker around on the free weekend. It’s only $20 (on sale for $16) so it’s no a huge investment anyway.

Great deal on one of the best games of last year!

The art style looks like they’re going for a colorful 1960’s vibe, right? How’s the music? Looks like it’s pretty much exclusively multiplayer though.

Only played tutorial but it’s pretty much stylized 60/70s like you said. Don’t recall too much about the music but I’ll check it later. Again, free weekend so if you can give it a try.

Oh ya, it’s MP since you’re trying using disguises and stealth and hide gas NPCs to win rounds. Each round seems like it would be pretty quick.

Aeterna Noctis in the Humble Striking Soulslikes game bundle has my attention, but I need to see what appears in that “coming soon” box. Did anyone ever give Aeterna Noctis a play? I didn’t find any posts after it was released.

Gazing inwardly, this might stem from my need for Elden Ring DLC. 2-D doesn’t capture what I value in a soulslike, and I haven’t played a great soulslike from any studio smaller than AA. Better to let the bundle pass and get started on Wo Long?

Can’t speak to Aeterna Noctis, but I see the bundle includes Blade of Darkness, which was a hell of a game in its day, and did cool things with lighting for a game that came out in 2001. I think I first played it in 2003 or 4, and played quite a bit of it again when it finally made it to GOG.

I’m no souls like expert (but I did play Elden Ring), but I enjoyed Salt and Sanctuary quite a bit (35h played), though I did not finish it. Great mix of exploration and combat with some upgrades/progress. Many people have compared it to a Dark Souls / Castlevania mashup. It’s not on sale on it’s own right now, but it’s the normally the same price ($18) as the entire bundle.

Blades of darkness got an unlikely switch release and that game is one of the greatest surprise i experienced lately. Incredible game despite its dated looks

Wow, I completely discounted Blade of Darkness due to having never heard of it before and its age (and yet I complain about folks discounting me for the same reasons). It lost distribution due to a legal swamp for seven years? It must have something special to bring back after that.

I kinda feel like going back to BoD now. I never did finish it. It’s a long game, and some of the bosses are pretty hard. No controller support AFAIK-- the fancy moves you unlock are accomplished with special key combos. At least it’s not overly complicated in terms of weird Souls concepts like “humanity” etc.

I remember I thought the different maps/levels were pretty gorgeous. Snowy castles, Egyptian style temple complexes, gritty mining quarries among others. And again, the lighting/shadows were impressive.

The game is hard, and its got mutilations a-go-go, which is one thingvi don’t enjoy in a game being a wuss, yet i love the mutilations in this one: they are historically accurate.

It’s a great game done in Spain, at the time it had great graphics, AI and advanced physics. The only flaw were the controls being slightly weird, as they were kinda tank-like third person fixed camera.

Yeah, it was a Spanish studio-- Rebellion, was it? Something like that. Edit: Rebel Act Studios (unfortunately defunct)

They sold it in the UK as Severance: Blade of Darkness but they dropped the Severance part here in the US because it’s associated with getting laid off from a job. Only much later with getting your consciousness split in two. 😉🙂

80% off on Humble , worth a play if you don’t own it yet.