Battlefield 2042 - DICE Goes Back to the Future, Just Not the 2142 Future

up close and personal, close-quarters combat that Battlefield is famous for.

Whut?

Uggh, so a new Metro but in a missle silo? I’m about done I guess. Didn’t like the latest map much and certainly won’t like that one. Ah well, I just grabbed the new COD at a good time it seems.

I’m not sure what they are referring to there. I don’t know that I would consider it famous for the metro/locker room type maps which is the only thing I can really think of since the dlc in BF3.

Yeah exactly…

Dived back in and had a lot of fun!

Manifest map revamp available now:

More sandbags and containers. Woo!

More vault weapons today as well. Surprised 3.1 is here already.

They spared no expense on the map updates!

I understand that there is work involved and some of the changes are with actual terrain geometry and even some large adjustments to buildings and features, but the scattering of sandbags, cargo containers, and hesco barriers just looks so damn blah. I feel they just aesthetically undermine all the other work being done on these revamps.

It wouldn’t be bad if it was just Manifest itself since it would make sense with the port, but the fact that is how they added cover for pretty much every rework had made it into this joke.

I’d be more accepting of these changes if they were something that was added fairly quickly as a way of addressing map problems shortly after release. It’s crazy to me that it takes them so long to do so little.

Live service, so far, has been a spectacular failure for the Battlefield series with BFV and BF2042 getting so little content compared to BF1 and BF4. I don’t know how much that has been the fault though, versus the very troubled launches.

It does make you wonder if they should have just stuck to selling expansions.

Also, why is it these maps have no wartime type design to them? Trenches are still a thing. Dug in emplacements are still absolutely viable on the modern battlefield. The trench fights in BF1 are brilliant. Why just leave all that behind?

From everything I’ve seen over the years from developers who have dished the dirt, Frostbite is just a PITA that causes anyone to work with it to slow down production. It’s just not agile enough to handle typical live service cadence and flexibility.

Yeah, I’ve been wondering recently how well you could do with something like Unreal 5. They either need to invest heavily in the team doing Frostbite to improve the ease of using it, especially if EA is going to keep promoting Frostbite as the EA engine, or just move on to another solution.

I bet there are a lot of people at EA who want to do just that, but the politics surrounding a decision to ditch Frostbite have to murderous.

Vince Zampella Kenobi you are our only hope

Titanfall, Titanfall 2, and Apex Legends are apparently built on Source. I wonder if it can be used for something as large as a Battlefield game?

Heh, they give out ribbons in the solo/co-op now, just with reduced xp. Hopped on try flying with the controller and not using the inverted flight to see how that would feel since I don’t use inverted on foot, and was surprised when I was getting some ribbons.

Especially since Frostbite is DICE’s baby. Then again, they’ve lost a lot of clout. To paraphrase Hollywood, you’re only as good as your last game. And DICE is riding a losing streak.

The people who created the engine are long gone, right? They’re making The Finals now, or went elsewhere.