Battlefield 2042 - DICE Goes Back to the Future, Just Not the 2142 Future

It’s in the EA Play Pro tier so you can play it with a subscription if you choose. It just has to be the premium EA one, which makes sense because they want to sell subs. It’s basically launch like Anthem did, but with what looks like a fully cooked game.

I think even on EA Play, people will only get like 10 hours of play. They will need EA Play Pro to be able to play all they want.

Edit: @DaveLong beat me to it

This reaction is pretty great, and likely what every long time Battlefielder did too.

https://fb.watch/60MrtiHupU/

Janganoo had the same reaction.

I can’t wait to drive one of those speedy tanks right through a full squad while lobbing shells at a flag.

The content creators did a good job keeping their mouths shut the past few days since they all got a pre-brief.

Yeah, I’m pretty sure Jackfrags has known a lot about this game for awhile now. The BF content guys are good at secrets.

Also, that brings up another exciting part of this game… easter eggs. You know it’s going to be loaded with all kinds of cool stuff that people will find.

Jack has a simple and informative overview video for what they all saw prior to today’s trailer.

Ooh, suddenly I’m interested in Battlefield again. Though I suspect it will pan out for me about the same as it has with every BF I’ve tried after Bad Company - give it a go for a few weeks, suck, get disheartened and quit.

I wonder if the AI thing means just playing on your own system, or if you would need to run/rent a server. Nice of them to let people get progress while they might not be ready yet to jump into multiplayer.

Now the wait until June 13th to see some gameplay.

I see this a lot on Qt3. When you say “give it a try for a few weeks”, how much would you say you actually play?

Video games, specifically first person shooters and more specifically fps with a wide variety of specializations, vehicles, and weapons, require some practice to not suck at them. Nobody walked into DOOM deathmatch in 1993 as a master of all. Why is there this expectation that you can do that in fps games in 2021?

I certainly took lots of lumps in lots of games before I became proficient at them, fps or not.

You guys lament your skills often on this forum but maybe it’s simply that your expectations are set too high when you first play a game?

Ok, so first of all, you seem to ignore the context of his post. He specifically mentioned being interested only when he found out you could play against AI without having to play with fellow human beings.

So given that context, I’m not seeing how your post makes sense. You’re saying that it will be fun to play against AI with no human players, but only if you really spend a lot of time learning the game’s systems and specializations, vehicles and weapons? You think the AI is going to be that good?

He said that he’ll have the same response despite having AI. At some point you have to commit to learning how to be good at a video game… or just give up.

I’m not saying I have that expectation, just that it’s not for me, at least not any more. I like the idea of Battlefield, but, these days, not the reality. I’m not the sort of person to devote myself to one or a handful of games, especially if they’re multiplayer and therefore can’t be paused, or have the potential to let your team down. The last time I did that seriously was Company of Heroes. Bots at least give me the potential to enjoy a multiplayer game on a casual basis, and maybe even improve enough offline to not get my arse handed to me online. Relatedly, I’ve played hundreds if not thousands of hours of DotA over the years. 95% of them have been against bots. So I very much appreciate the idea of progression working against bots.

To answer your original question, I haven’t played multiplayer for the last couple of BFs, but before that, I’d say about two to three hours a day on average for those two weeks

Who said that? Regardless of whether a person is good or not at a particular game or mode, they can tell if they like it.

I’m utter crap at bowling, but I continue to play because I like it. I’m decent at softball, but I don’t care to play or get better because the activity just doesn’t excite me.

Just for myself i have the core loop of the game before caring enough to git gud. I try lots of well regarded 2D platformers like Ori or Hollow Knights and… just burn out on them really, really quickly, like before an hour. It’s just not my thing.

Speaking only for myself i’m not horrible at shooters or anything - the first match i played online i had like a 2.0 kill/death ratio in Battlefield 1 - but whether or not i enjoy the core gameplay loop to keep playing is the issue. So I might well enjoy a game like Overwatch more for various reasons. For myself a really important thing is how weapons work on a very meta level, whether i find that an interesting mechanic or not. I was playing some Fortnite with my nephew and sister and found it a lot of fun at the newblar levels that i pushed them at, since i was so low level, and the opponents weren’t base building tween twitch addicts that never stop spinning in circles.

But there’s no point in me even trying to play Fortnite at a high level because i can’t actually handle the speed of responses needed at my age, and i know this makes me sounds old, but i can’t handle using that many buttons that quickly. I’m the guy who turns one one-button mode in NCAA football every time. In those sub-second moments i can’t remember what does what… so i can’t click shit fast enough, so i die. And at that point i don’t really enjoy it anymore. If the pace and twitchiness demanded of me by the shooter reaches a certain threshold, I’ve pretty much aged out of that demographic now. Even if i could in theory practice dozens of hours and build my reflexes back to that level… i’d rather go play some Total War instead.

Anyway - I am interested in Battlefield 2042… but no way this is a preorder. I’ll definitely see some RL gameplay after release to see whether i’m willing to commit. I do like being able to select any weapon and give yourself a particular perk… really important to me. Basically weapon gating is the entire reason i choose one or another class in these sorts of games.

Watching levelcap’s video right now, and he didn’t like them including that in the trailer. lol

I’ve been having a really good time with PSN freebie Battlefield V, so I’m ready and eager to play this on my PS5, as long as I can disable cross-play with the PC version. I don’t play the majority of multiplayer games on console because I like dealing with cheaters in any game that’s been around for more than a month.

On paper, the gritty, slick dystopia of 2042’s setting is exactly what I want in a shooter. It’s a few stompy mechs short of perfection. It’s the specifics of the setting that make me uncomfortable. Climate catastrophe, greatest refugee crisis in history, and a hot war between the U.S. and Russia? That doesn’t sound like a great setting for a giant multiplayer playground. It sounds like the hell we’ll all be dealing with for the rest of our lives.

Only if China and Europe go away and Russia multiplies its GDP by about 10.

That’s a shame about no campaign. I really enjoyed the little bite sized campaigns in Battlefield 1 and so far in Battlefield Vee.

Sure, I guess it takes more than just having a massive army to fight a modern war. I bet DICE’s near future setting ravages Europe with so much climate catastrophe and social instability that they’re not a player. And as for China, well, how could such a lucrative market for the game ever be our opponent in a war.

I think I can understand the appeal of the traditional CoD campaign when the Ratchets and Shadow Warriors and new Dooms are doing so much more: plenty of people want to turn their brains off and be dragged by the nose through four hours of spectacle and shooting gallery. Nothing wrong with that, but I’m just so done with it. I couldn’t get past the first stealth level in Cold War because of all the indicators floating above everything. It felt so rigid, so contrived, like I might as well have been playing a minimap. So, yeah, I think it’s great DICE is investing their resources into making their multiplayer modes more viable for players who don’t feel like getting crushed online. Thanks, DICE, now give us Battlefront 3 with Galactic Conquest!