Battlefield V - WW2, cosmetic loot, DICE

Yeah I only paid $40, felt about right, then boom a week later it hit $30.

Still happy with what is there.

The game is already marked for death.

Ok, not already. I’m being melodramatic. But the fate has been already decided, mostly. In the heyday of Bf3/Bf4 popularity, it was somewhat close to competing with CoD series. Instead, right now in Twitch, which is a decent proxy for popularity, BF5 has 30k viewers and CoD has 100K, despite BF5 being a more recent release.

You may say “but 30k is still pretty good!”. Oh yes. I wrote that more from the perspective of EA, they don’t make a tentpole AAA game released on the best period of the year to sell, say, 5 million copies. They do it to sell 15-20 million. The game failing expectations from the publisher can have negative consequences…

And usually, when the reception of a game has been relatively lukewarm, it starts hemorrhaging players in just two months. News of the game failing EA financial expectations, news of the game being already heavily discounted, news of the game starting to need more time to find a full server, all that create a negative impression on the game that creates a feedback loop which is hard to get out. People will leave the game, that creates more problems, that makes even more people not buy it, etc.

The problem I see is that it seems the game is light in content in exchange of using a GaaS where content was going to come in the future. The issue is that only works if the base game is a big success, if your game population isn’t big enough, they won’t create enough profits with the microtransactions to finance a steady stream of new content (it seems their plans was to follow the calendar of war and put new content that would correspond with how the real WW2 progressed).

edit: re, Twitch numbers, now that at this time there is no big streamers/influencers playing, it’s even worse:

Below Fallout 76, Ring of Elysium? Only above games like Tekken 7, Farming Sim 19 or Path of Exile.

Honestly I think multi-player FPS’s are kind of in a place where $30 is mostly the price point for them.

BFV’s biggest issue is that they didn’t finish it and that it is less of a game than the previous one. They’re trying to be Madden and sell one every year, but shooters don’t have NFL rosters that people give a crap about.

BF One is a much better game than BFV.
When BFV is finished it will be a cool game, but at the moment is some sort of “random battles in the Germany civil war”

Aside from not having as much content as BF1 (and being a bit buggy sometimes), I think this is absolutely wrong. BF V just feels like a tighter, better designed shooter overall. The actual gunplay and movement feels so much better. There is no more excessive grenade spam. The squad mechanics actual encourage occasional teamwork. Most importantly, I feel like i’m having a much more fun time in matches in BF V than I ever did in BF1, which is really all that matters.

Also the first content update releases today (edit: looks like its been delayed):

Box quote for BFV

Sadly so true , lol.

I dinged up to level 18 now , the game needs freaking map vote, I have seen a total of 5 maps so far after like 20hrs of play. :|

I’m starting to think there has to be something off with the map shuffle algorithm as I’m seeing the same two maps over and over again (Narvik and Twisted Steel). I’m only seeing more if I do Grand Operations as I then get Fjell and Arras too.

When I received the achievement “Visit all conquest maps” I feel physically assaulted. As if somebody was spitting on my face. Surely nobody can call this collection of things a BF game?

It may one day be better than any other BF game, but at the moment, eek. It lack the maps. It lack the gadgets. It lack the vehicles. It lack the weapons.

People like this version and I am okay with that. I played the demo version of Carmagedoom for hours and hours and hours. Even hacking it to remove the time limits, and the whole race thing to be able to explore the map and try to get on top every bodying. BFV feels like a demo to me, one you can enjoy for a few hours then… stop.

I get that it has fewer maps than the other BF games (though BF 1 only had only 9 maps when it launched). The other complaints I don’t really understand. It has plenty of gadgets, vehicles and weapons. If there are fewer, then it sure doesn’t feel like it to me. The single player is shorter than in BF 1, but wtf really cares about that?

Though I do think feel like the map rotation is a bit off. I think that might be why it feels so repetitive. I think I’m only seen Hamada once in the 20 hours I’ve played.

Patching now!

I tried the slimmed down Blops 4 and played some BR with it. It was ok, but BF still feels better and smoother to me. I’m more immersed in BFV than I was in Blops 4 by a long stretch. The size and scope of BFV is just more appealing to me along with the pug squads actually playing at least somewhat squad-like most of the time. Though, to be honest, I’m not a heavy player of anything these days.

Oh dear god, I just don’t know if I can do FPS on a gamepad. I (unsurprisingly) went something like 3-30, but I knew I was going to suck terribly so at least I rolled medic and healed/revived the crap out of everyone. I just don’t know if I can gut it out and try to learn new muscle memory, especially when I feel bad I’m dragging ass on the team.

I’m used to PC where I don’t waste shots on the chest for the most part, I make sure to get to the head before firing. I just don’t have that same kind of precision available on a gamepad, and the auto aim “snap”, while helpful, is throwing me off. An enemy will be to the left of my reticle so I’ll start swinging over as I bring up my sights, but it will snap into place, which means my reticle goes careening to the left of him. By the time I correct my aim, I’m already dead.

Sorry to sound like some old fogey who has been in a coma since 1998, but I don’t play FPS on consoles. Can anyone give me tips on how to aim properly vs a mouse? Should I be hip-firing more? Is the “snap” of the auto-aim how you are expected to get some precision, or is it largely ignored?

Anyone got some 101 for me?!

Dinged rank 25 earlier today, favorite map is probably the one with the fields of gold. So lovely to destroy. :)

Best advice I can give is get young. Seriously, these damn kids and their 15yo reflexes are a pain. With the PS4 I usually play Medic or Support and use L2 to aim about 90% of the time. Try to nail them in the head, instead of the feet/legs like I usually end up doing.

So if this is so bad, are people still playing Battlefield 1?

I tried Call of Duty multiplayer for the first time this weekend, and god I don’t like it. Maybe I’ll get used to it, but man, it feels so ridiculously twitchy.

Yeah, I can’t play CoD anymore. Way too twitchy and fast paced. BF5 seems fine to me. I tried BF4 again but people are only playing the huge conquest maps these days.

A game in turmoil.

Five days ago:

https://www.reddit.com/r/BattlefieldV/comments/a5fa7u/battlefield_v_ttk_change_list_12122018/

Recently we announced that Battlefield V’s TTK (Time to Kill) values will be changing in order to faciliate a more even gameplay experience for all of our players, resulting in a more level playing field for new and experienced players alike.

Although not extremely vocal within our deeply engaged community, we see from our game data that the wider player base is dying too fast leading to faster churn - meaning players may be getting frustrated with dying too fast that they choose not to log back in and learn how to become more proficient at Battlefield V. Changing TTK values in addition to improving TTD elements will help these particular instances and hopefully result in better gameplay experiences for players of all skill levels.

Today:

https://www.reddit.com/r/BattlefieldV/comments/a729tq/battlefield_v_letter_to_the_community_ttk_changes/

After rolling out those changes last week, we’ve listened to your feedback, reviewed our statistical data, and have made the decision to return to the original TTK values seen at launch.

Our intent with the TTK changes was to see if we could evolve the Battlefield V experience and make it more enjoyable for new players, whilst also making sure the Battlefield vets have a choice with a more “core” experience suiting their preferred play-style. Clearly we didn’t get it right. Veteran players didn’t ask for the change, but as game developers, we took it upon ourselves to make those changes based on extensive data and deliberation. It truthfully wasn’t an easy decision for us.

I signed up for Origin Premier for this and haven’t bothered to login to see the state of the game yet.

I’m one of those players they’re talking about. It’s hard to refine motor skills when you splatter instantly.