Battletech by Harebrained Schemes (Shadowrun Returns)

I actually love the pacing of BT. I don’t mind the speed, and if given the choice will retain the default settings. I like the fact that you have cinematic mechs exuding a sense of mass. I can see very easily how speed will tend to size down the impression of mech to little robots. It’s a carefully drawn environment. The game takes as long as it takes.

And yeah it’s an interesting question about “original vision”, I’d say we don’t really put too much stock in that. During development it’s important to have a clear set of goals… Post-launch though, right now it’s all about reacting to player feedback.

This is the right attitude to have, not getting defensive and telling the players that they don’t know what’s good for them.

I love the attention HBS has paid to the little details. Like when my mechs get hit with a laser weapon, little pools of melted armour drip down and pool at my mech’s feet, where they gradually cool and fade. Never noticed that before…

That is pretty cool. It’s also part of the better books in the BT novel collections, mostly the Stackpole ones. He is big on melting armor.

Did the 2 Smithon missions. Decided to take my heavy lance to a 3.5 skull mission. Got my first assault, an Awesome 8Q. Also a Thunderbolt and a Jagermech. It was a good day.

Oh boy.

Towards the end of the night, Carpenter approached Jordan and physically grabbed her butt.

“My immediate knee-jerk reaction was loudly saying, ‘No, I don’t like that,’” she wrote. “He laughed and said, ‘Too bad, it happened.’ He left shortly after that.”

I just… I don’t… really?

He should get credit for telling everyone to believe he did it, and apologizing that openly. That takes some grit.

Though waypoint website…never heard of them before. Releasing that admission there, ends the fire of the story… I have to wonder if it was intentional to release this at a minor site …

They’ve been around for a few years, and have always had an emphasis on inclusivity, and issues particular to women and minorities in gaming, so it’s a pretty logical choice.

It’s bad stuff all around, but if you’re going to have to handle it, this is probably one of the better ways. Fess up, quit, make sure the (assumedly unaware) company doesn’t take a hit.

Good for him. Some people never make that realization.

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/418098901892202498/457249157212536842/Battletech_weapons.xlsx

If anyone wants to see a quick excel sheet with damage vs total tonnage, this excel sheet might meet yours needs.
I’ve set it up so that you can set the amount of Ammo you think is appropriate for a mission (I like having 15 shots, I know @Sharpe prefers 10-12), and the heat conditions.

Finally stopped futzing around and hit Artru. Lady Arano is a fucking idiot. OTOH my new Highlander and Battlemaster are so very cool.

That Highlander is the bomb. It basically never left my lineup once I got it, barring short breaks for repairs after a hairy mission.

Battlemasters on the other hand are kinda weak. They aren’t as bad as Banshees but share the same fundamental problem. So much engine weight devoted to making an assault mech move at heavy mech speeds means that there’s not a satisfying amount of payload space for weapons and equipment.

For reference a Battlemaster is 10 tons heavier than Orion, moves at the exact same speed, and has the exact same available weight available for weapons and equipment. But the Orion is a heavy mech and gets an initiative advantage over the Battlemaster. The only reason to use a Battlemaster over an Orion is for a specific build that needs that much mobility, more armor than an Orion can take, and very little weapon load. So basically close range builds built on lots of medium/small lasers and melee. The Orion beats the Battlemaster in any other type of build.

I love the intiative system, but man does it screw over mechs like the BattleMaster, Dragon and Quickdraw.
It’s almost always better to take a mech a few tons less, just because. Hopefully the developer is willing to play with it maybe basis on movement speed instead, so that mechs like above aren’t always weak sauce.

Also, they need to add a level 0 initiative so that Assault mechs can be knocked down .

Is the initiative rating on mechs a matter of BT tabletop rules, or something the devs created? If the former, it wouldn’t be legit for the PC game to change the rules of the game.

There was no intiative system in the board game, but there also was few reasons to get a light mech when you had access to heavier mechs.

The issue is that any big change on this may have a lot of unintended consequences.

If memory serves in the tabletop game there was a team based initiative rule, basically rolling to see who had to go first and then players alternated moving mechs. Also in tabletop it was clearly understood that heavy mechs were better but generally friendly games were done based on tonnage. So each team got 200-300 tons worth of mechs in their lance. That did create situations where people ran light or weaker medium mechs with their fourth slot just because of tonnage available left available. I’m not even going to talk about all the permutations on Battle Value as people tried to find more reasonable metrics than tonnage to balance out a match.

I feel like the initiative system in the Battletech video game is an improvement over tabletop but it’s aggravating in that it could be so much better with just a few tweaks.

Yeah I get that. My Battlemaster carries a PPC++, AC5 ++ and a LRM15++. I think 840 armor. Not a frontline mech. My Highlander has The Gauss Rifle (yay!), 3 ML++, SRM6+++ and LRM20++. My other two mechs are Orion Ks. All the pluses geared toward stab damage or +accuracy and crits.

I can always switch the BM for another Orion K. For a while I was running 4 Orion Ks. I had an Awesome but the 3 PPCs didn’t do it for me.

Edit: Oops, reply meant for @Tortilla.

I don’t get mixing SRM and LRM. Sure you’re flexible, but you have a whole lance to be flexible with. Better to load up on one or the other, IMO, if for no other reason than ammo efficiency. Also I hate PPCs and LLs, but that’s probably just me…