Battletech by Harebrained Schemes (Shadowrun Returns)

That’s not just you. As you can see from the above spread sheet, LL just don’t make sense. PPC++ is okay though, if you have double heatsinks and all the trimmings.
As for mixing LRMs and SRMs, flexibity is one thing, but an LRM 5 is pretty light and gives you something to do (peal off those evasion pips, if nothing else) and since they don’t often overlap, you don’t have to worry about the heat as much, since you probably aren’t firing both.

I’ve done some mixing of SRM and LRMs, but not with full racks. It’s more of something like 3 SRM-6 as main armament, and an LRM-5 to multi-target and finish the knockdown on something with a full stability bar.

If you opt into the beta, there’s a patch out with substantial changes to balance, optimization, and UI improvements.

Accelerate the current action with SPACEBAR. Players can now press SPACEBAR to greatly accelerate the current action. Game speed will return to normal after the action completes.
Speed-Up mode to accelerate all combat actions. Added an option in the Gameplay Settings menu that significantly speeds up combat.

As for the large laser being useless:

Large Laser heat generation reduced to 18 (was 30).
Medium Laser heat generation increased to 12 (was 10).

It’s nice to see them responding to criticism so fast even after they’ve had a successful launch.

That’s pretty substantial. I am in!

Soon your joy will turn into tears…

Easy fix, remove Gauss rifle and keep it safe.

Yes I understand that functionally this is even worse. But it makes me feel better.

I am going to do some fooling around, but I just coupled my Gaus Cannon with an AC 5 and an LRM 15, so thaty Highlander need never be put into harms way.

Or just reload last save if you lose lostech equipment. That’s what I always do. I’ll accept any loss of pilots and mechs these days, because anything but lostech can be replaced with some patience. But if the game is going to give out precious unique irreplaceable stuff then I won’t accept a loss of it.

Wow, that’s quite the shift. Lots of new designs to play with! My medium/small-laser-boat Grasshopper is going to get retired but lots of long range energy platforms are suddenly starting to look attractive. Especially as they made SRMs spread more on called shots. In the current game the SRM is the ultimate short range called-shot murder weapon.

Any word on when they’ll patch in the option to skip the tutorial? That’s what I’m waiting for before restarting.

That… makes it actually useful!

They said they tried to get it into this patch but weren’t able to, so I guess maybe the next one?

I still think they need to bring the weight down a ton. 5 tons to get 40 damage versus 1 ton of Med Laser to get 25 damage, sure ML is shorter range, but that’s a pretty huge DPT differential. At 4 tons and 18 heat, I can see some good LL builds.

I actually lost my Gauss and decided to try 2 AC 20s instead. To my surprise it works better at coring than with the Gauss. I decided to just keep going instead of going back to an earlier save.

As to skipping the tutorial, there’s a pretty easy work around if you are willing to tinker with .json files.

From Kirsala on Reddit

Although I typically don’t love PPCs, a Gauss/PPC/Jump Jet long range sniper build is extremely strong (the no heat of the Gauss nicely offsets the high heat of the PPCs) and tends not to get hit much. Or AC5s if you prefer. LRMs also optional.

From the beta patch notes: “The Called Shot bonus for multiple-hit weapons (SRMs, MGs) now diminishes by half with each successive shot.” Assuming that includes LRMs, that’s huge. It’s a nerf to LRMs but that’s OK given some of the offsetting buffs to other weapons.

I think it’s more a SRM nerf. LRMs were always pretty scattery even in a called shot.

A 4-LRM 20 Highlander is my missile boat. I find that the computer fields enough PPCs and LRMs that you can’t keep a low armor mech out of harm’s way if it has to have line of site to deal damage. Staying hidden behind hills and lobbing indirect fire is the only safe bet.

I find that LRMs seem to already have a called shot penalty of some kind. LRM damage is much more distributed than what the percentages shown at called shot targeting would indicate.

EDIT: what Tortilla said.