Best Games of 2021 thread

Or it’s possible no one on their staff played it. There’s so many good indie games now, it’s possible to miss them completely. I bet none of these outlets have played Northern Journey, for instance, rather than them having played it and decided it doesn’t deserve recognition, as one example from Krok.

What is Trials of Fire btw? I’ve never heard of it. Is it a card game? It’s tearing me up inside that so many of these indie games getting awards this year are card games. Do I break my rule and play them anyway, even though I don’t like card games? Maybe they’re the type of games that appeal to everyone, not just people who like card games.

LA Times has an all-indie-except-Halo Best-of list this year:

Nice seeing Behind the Frame here. It’s a light game, but pleasant and beautiful.

Yeah, any list that big that lacks Trials of Fire and/or Solasta is simply invalid.

A bunch of sites have put up their awards lists now.

PC Gamer has started posting their list, but it’s one category at a time up to Dec 31st, so let’s ignore that one until then.

Same with Rock Paper Shotgun and their advent calendar.

Slightly off-topic and yet topic adjacent.

Amusing this time because it actually includes a famous game that I’ve heard of. (Balan’s Wonderworld).

Yeah! Disappointing stuff!

Hey Biomutant got mentioned on a list for once!

Yeah, that’s the thing that makes me sad about almost all of these articles. Almost no one has had Old World in their top whatever lists.

Did it turn out well? I bought it, but after I couldn’t figure things out, I tried to learn it via reading the various Old World threads and then a day later gave up and decided “I’m too old for this shit”. Meaning, to be trying to learn how to play games via reading stuff outside of the game.

I never read a thing about Old World, not even most of the in-game info that’s everywhere, and never found it to be remotely hard to learn.

I used a bog standard 4x strategy:

1. Scout from the jump, find your enemies and places to build cities.
  2. Take over territory as fast as possible with cities because if you don’t the AIs will.
  3. Build military large enough to scare others from attacking but not so large it dings the economy.
  4. Take on each target of opportunity as it becomes available. Slowly grind out the win.

Sure there’s a bunch of substiles buried in it I missed that provide more nuance and probably even more enjoyment for those who dig in, but it’s not like I had to know them to beat the game.

Or Slipways, or Tainted grail: conquest, or Inscryption

Yeah, I just realized Slipways was this year and have been surprised it hasn’t been on a single major list I’ve seen. Maybe because it came out so early in the year?

That sounds like playing a Civ game!

Yep, pretty much. Which you know given the pedigree of the author isn’t surprising.

It’s kind of weird with early access these days, since it released this year, but was in EA last year. Feels like it has been out

Fire Escape podcast (Dan Ryckert, Mary Kish, and Mike Mahardy) did theirs if you got 6 hours to kill

Spoiler they pick the right game.

Not quite a GOTY list, but Old World makes a dent in the “best games you missed” list!

(I apparently totally missed a narrative game called Adios, so there’s another one for the wishlist.)

I understand titles in smaller-sales genres won’t make top-5 or top-10 general lists. My confusion stems from the fact Polygon has a top 50, Kotaku a top 28, and IGN a strategy-specific set of nominees, and none of those sites had any of the mentioned strategy games.

Maybe it’s all explained by revenue per genre? I find these games because I like the genre, and I don’t know what their market share is. Such as, if a genre’s not at least 5% of the total, there won’t be any emphasis on finding writers who have an interest in it.

also Bonfire Peaks which I tried to tell you all about but was mostly ignored.

And here’s Time’s list.

The Gamespot article doesn’t do a good job selling it. A game about pushing boxes around with constantly introduced new rules about how you can push boxes?

They have a demo on Steam though, so I’ll check it out. Thanks for the heads up!

@Rock8man Yes, Trials of Fire is a card game, but it’s also a turn-based tactics game. It’s pretty cool, I need to go back to it (like so many other games).